Planned Death Camera

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GeneralPrime_PT, Aug 16, 2019.

1. pnkdth

I think you missed the context here (the person I was replying claimed it would just create choke-points). The reason choke-points was brought up was because 1) you execute a flank 2) enemy responds 3) creates a new choke point. So now there are two fronts instead of one which opens up even more opportunities of flanking + the players within the combat have to make new decisions. So it might get harder to keep flanking the same place over and over. Suppressor still hide you when you are in action + there is no guarantee (or even very likely) that the players you kill will broadcast your location to everyone. Furthermore, running with tunnel-vision to the last known spot is liable to get you killed too.

LAs/Infils should already be used to this play style. I don't mind sharing my tricks either, I'll just have to come up with new ones or change things up without leaning on tried and true methods. The main reason I do not play nearly as much now is because everything is pretty much the same. No one cares to try anything new because there's no point in doing so.

Put simply, I'm not worried about other players getting better or posing more of a challenge. I don't want easy mode farming sessions because they're so amazingly boring. Indeed, I want new players to get into it and the meta to evolve.
  2. Campagne

I have to agree that they are a terrible idea.

Hiding somewhere dangerous in a crowded biolab as an LA firing an unsuppressed carbine can net a lot of kills with caution. But with killcams a single kill can compromise the spot. Shoot one guy on the ground and everyone else has no idea what happened, but now the victim knows the exact spot and will be looking up.

A good, smart sniper can also stay out of sight even when firing as well. Playing smart with the cloak can make it almost impossible to be located by other snipers even if not leaving a good position. But again, just one kill and he spot is compromised. A sniper should often keep moving anyways but there are times where this is not an option.

Ultimately what this encourages is shifting away from playstyles surrounding stealth, positioning, and situational awareness into playstyles where the player doesn't care at all if everyone in the hex knows where he is. A2G, MAXes, totally-not-cheating heavies with hitbox edits, the full works. If a player can't hide they will just pull something that doesn't need to.
    • Up x 3
  3. Jbeasty

I actually checked for April 1st.
  4. Jbeasty

1. There is already so many new player crutches in the game.

2. Everyone is practically shooting laser beams with the ridiculous tracers in this game, we don't need a killcam to make it even easier to find a clever spot. Don't even get me started on spotting and the dorito on your head and map marker for everyone to see... People get revived instantly in this game, they will immediately know where to start shooting. This is a gameplay breaking addition for anything but the mosh pit type of player.

3. Do we really need to homogenize the game with the rest of the ****** shooters out there? People still play this game for a reason, because it ISN'T those. People playing CoD and whatnot are not magically going to play planetside just because you take features from those games.

4. What is hardest for a new player, is walking into a fight against a well organized group of players that always play together and regularly farm the masses. Adding a killcam will change nothing in this regard, or will just finish off what population is left playing the game.

5. I thought planetside arena was the plan to attract players that dont actually want to play planetside...Can we exclude these type of features to that game?

I am coming to the point where I give PS2 a long break again, but they really couldn't break the game more than what they have planned imo. If I ever come back with this change in place, I know I will seldom touch infantry, if at all. I really thought it was trolling in chat when I saw people talking about a killcam.

I don't think I've had more fun with a shooter than the first 2 years of this game and even with its heavy decline since then, it is really the only competitive one I play. I just wish there was an alternative.
    • Up x 4
  5. then00b

People that get revived immediately die again immediately. Your complaints are rather bizarre, you want newer players to be UNwelcome to this grindy game?
    The issue in the past was people were dropped into the middle of a big battle literally before they could even adjust any settings like mouse sensitivity of keybinds, and you think it's better for them to not even know how they died to ASP players that can fly across the battlefield raining c4 on them, go invisible at will, or have shields and medkits, or autoturrets far tougher than they start with or even have unlocked yet.
    The issue is new players don't even know what to look for to begin to fight back and will you are specifically telling them GIT GUD NOOB, do you want the game to die tomorrow?
    What is your terrible playstyle that you rely on camping in the same spot for hours on end hoping no one notices you killing them at the vehicle spawner?
    • Up x 1
  6. Jbeasty

If you are replying to me, then I suggest you stop with the "bizarre" assumptions and we might actually be able to have a comversation/debate. To think, this is the type of mentality they are trying to cater to with a killcam....
  7. then00b

Your only criticism of my evaluation is the word bizarre?
  8. TerminalT6

I highly doubt this will have much of an effect on players with moderate experience. The times I die and I think "wow I have no idea where that came from I wish I had a better way of figuring out so I can kill that specific person in my next life" are pretty rare. Maybe I just glance up before crossing an area in my next life. The game has gotten faster. The best "campers" don't literally sit in one spot the whole time, and they use more than just the element of surprise.

As for new players, some of them will go straight to hackusations and I don't think there's anything we can do about that lol
  9. then00b

It will give new players at least some sense of how better players kill them. As for hackusations it will make detecting subtle cheaters more reliable than just guesswork. Just youtube some in other games, They turn their cheats on and off so they aren't always killing everyone in sight making themselves obvious but once its on you can clearly see very machine-like behavior from their perspective. As I recall there's at least one incident that happened during a tournament, still don't know why those events don't have clean machines for the players to use but I don't get e-sports in general.

Starting to wonder if the people complaining now are those subtle cheaters.
  10. adamts01

What different choke points? Most of these bases are so incredibly limited that there's often only one path to take, and if you're lucky a 2nd.

How much will this kill cam nerf flanking? I don't know. Maybe not a lot. But either way it's an inch in the wrong direction. I honestly don't expect much, if any base redesign. So as a bandaid we should move towards less I formation on the hud. Nerfing sensors. Buffing suppressors... When's the last time you saw a full squad running suppressors and moving around the parimeter? Me? I've been in a single LA squad doing just that. In 5 years. We dropped a beacon behind enemy lines and took out one tank or Sundy at a time. It wasn't efficient and didn't pay squat, but it was fun larping for a couple hours. I'd LOVE for covert squads like that to actually be meta.

Speaking of covert squads. "covert drop" needs a buff. It could cloak the user indefinitely until they fired or were damaged, and it would probably be just about right. Maybe it should disable the launcher and rocklet rifle slot, and also C4 for consideration of vehicles. Though it would suck to be helpless against Maxes. Maxes ruining our fun again...
  11. TR5L4Y3R

stalkers are constantly mobile so weither or not you know one is there won´t change much that you still will die to one ...
    personaly i don´t care much bout snipers and still even as a sniper you are supposed to change position every once in a while ..

and here is THE BUZZLINE to rial up the community .. "OH NO WE DON`T WANT FORTNITE !!! " ... ... yes because the rest of the game is ooh so much like fortnite that this change will bring us torwarts it like 80% ...
    • Up x 1
  12. Liewec123

its about getting punished for outplaying people,

someone spends the time getting to an amazing spot and their gormless enemies can't figure out where they are?
    lets just give those idiots the exact location, because screw the person who cared about clever positioning!

the parallel is that its punishing players for playing well.

if someone shoots you from ontop of a doorframe and you can't figure out where they are, you got outplayed,
    if someone kills you fast with headshots, you got outplayed
  13. then00b

The only "amazing" spots aren't amazing because people can't find you, it's because they literally have almost no sight lines to shoot you from except one where they have to expose themselves.
    You can find the general direction most shots are coming from either from the damage hud or just listening. Then follow the tracer. If you can't even do the first step, which I think is even aided by the current death board highlighting either a direct line or vague cone direction, killcams will barely help you. And given that infiltrators go literally invisible, unless you're stupid enough to literally not move at all after killing someone, they won't find you easily if you just move a few meters away. But I have encountered those kinds of stupid people, fire my battle rifle a few times at their spot and they just die, don't try to run at all or anything.
  14. pnkdth

The good old slippery slope-fallacy. If they change this thing I don't like they'll probably change everything. Everybody panic!

It's not like I'm not understanding where you come from, it is more that I do not mind that people know where I am (or where I was). I rather have players feel their kills are fair (or sort of anyways) and understand what the heck is going on and want to get back at the attacker than logging off in frustration. Kinda like any competitive sport, everyone sees what you're doing and try to emulate or come up with a new way of beating you or just find that one thing which will let them get the edge over you.

Moreover, I think it can contribute to the game as more and more people get better at understanding the game. So for me it becomes both 1) outplaying them by attacking from an unseen position 2) not being predictable/using the same approach 3) personal FPS skills.

+ plus the other stuff I mentioned above. Also, it isn't like DGB can afford to cater to the small and dwindling player base either so if we can keep our players on their toes and force the meta to evolve I am all for it.
  15. pnkdth

Even in those bases there are different ways to attack and influence the battle. Also, I do not think this Death Cam will make huge difference because most people do move around and it is unlikely the people seeing it will broadcast what happened to everyone else. Main function will be "oh, that's where he got me from." From that I think we'll see a better understanding across the population from vets and new players alike and less new players logging off because of "what the hecking heck"-moments.

I certainly wouldn't mind a reduction in sensors and stuff and for the suppressor I think either the damage deg or velocity is enough or at the very least lessen the penalties. Covert drops sounds interesting I gotta say. A cool way to spearhead attacks too.
  16. N00bBabe

Another COD ******** .. so whats the point? No flanking, no good tactical spots. i dont wanna see who killed me either.
    After 15 years..if the the deathcam will be in game i will leave. PS2 Devs never learn, like the Devs in PS1 ... This deathcam crap will bring 0 new players into the game.
  17. raidneq

I will stop playing this game if this is actually implemented. This is too much. This shows how disconnected db is from how this game is actually played and shows a blatant disrespect for the games past and the tactical gameplay that would compel people to play this game up to br120. This isnt cod. What makes this game stand out (or stood out) is that it requires actual thought and punishes careless play. While we're at it lets just make it so youll respawn 20 meters from the nearest control point and also remove all but one capture point from every map so that new players dont get lost and know where to go. As a matter of fact since its such a good idea to let people know where their killer is lets just make enemys always visible on radar and also give everyone xray vision.
  18. Liewec123

In shooter games guile and cunning are just as important as gunplay, and we shouldn't nerf them.
    if people are gonna log off because they can't find their enemy then maybe this game wasn't right for them anyway!
    It's a rather silly reason to log off :D
    • Up x 2
  19. pnkdth

From what we know so far this will be a very rudimentary Death Cam, simply showing where the killer was an panning over to your corpse. It will not be the video playback we see in other games thus won't actually give away deeper tactics and strats. It would serve to inform new players and improve players perception in the game and at the same time more tactically minded outfit can use this build more a complex and diverse toolbox of tricks. In other words, not even close to COD.

The only players this will actually hurt are campers and make farming a bit more difficult (or interesting from my point of view).

I think it makes guile and cunning more important since you need to employ different tactics.

Plus I want this game to survive and having a rudimentary death cam as described above will do a lot to remove the total confusion and helplessness new players experience. Someone mentioned it could be removed after a certain BR since by then you probably don't need it anymore and I'll be fine with that. All in all though, I think this would be the most important change to improve new player experience and hook them to the game we've seen so far. Koltyr was a fail, the tutorials are meh, the directive and helpful tips are shallow but this makes them understand how the game works.
  20. AlcyoneSerene

This point was already addressed: there are only so many "interesting" places on maps where one can hide, snipe, ambush, or airdrop into. Even now I still drop dread having no clue where the shot came from especially when suppressed. What do I do? Cry to Devs for help and uninstall, or pull up my thousands of hours of experience combined with the killer's details on death screen and get revenge or change strategy. A challenging game rewards well over time and not just on twitch mechanics.

Everyone here wants this game to survive, and the direction it's going now is doing the exact opposite, and will hurt the more experienced players by herding them into heavy assault and CQB since strategy, implants, air drops, equipment, vehicular flanks, etc., will all be revealed instantly on the first kill to the player who can in turn warn their entire squad or platoon. Don't underestimate how powerful knowing the direction of the attacker is.

Why do we pay attention to the minimap, run silencers, flash suppressors, underbarrel smoke & IRN, and stay selective on firing due to bullet tracers? Why do we join squads to make up strategies and reveal enemy strategies & positions?

Battles don't last that long. A sniper can't just reposition by strolling cloaked through an armor column to walljump up a hill.

It's a sandbox game. 'Farming' directives, kills, stats, certs, ISOs, etc., are part of the open world appeal of the game, and what keeps this game alive in the first place. If new players can't handle that, then they're not up for a challenge, and it's not the game for them. I've said this endless times every time a dumbing down idea like this gets the pass.

I question both who these new players are and these efforts to cater to them in order to boost player retention. If they can't handle a challenging game with a lot of depth, strategy, coordination, dying often (which will not change), ruining it for the vets keeping the game alive now is IMO a bad design decision and worse, poor understanding of your intended target audience and what makes PS2 unique.

"Total helplessness and confusion"? Really, every game not intended for children only will be confusing to a new player, and the learning is part of the fun and reward for mastering something not just in the particular game but a skill that can transfer elsewhere. This game is the least punishing to new players as the starting equipment is top notch if ignoring vehicles, and with fast cert gain first few BRs plus one time cert refund, plus unrestricted VR & PTS and an active helpful community plus mentor squads willing to help I think that's an exaggeration.
    • Up x 1