The 'Light Assault' is heavier than a 'Heavy Assault'

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Aug 10, 2019.

1. karlooo

The Light Assault is armed with the carbine, pistol, an automatic anti-tank rocket launcher, a jet pack, anti-tank explosives....This does not seem light. Didn't even mention how much anti-tank ammo this class brings.

I love the Light Assault class, but I hate it how it's used as a silent bomber most of the time.

Just give the aircraft's bombs to drop that deal C4 damage or maybe a bit more, but not the light assault. There is no counter to this. The counter to the aircraft's is that you hear them, you see them, you have weapons to counter them.
    You just don't expect the Light Assault which is perfectly fine, the class is supposed to flank and attack from unexpected positions but giving the class the most overpowered explosive in the game is just not fun to deal with.

It turns the class from a flanker, to some suicide dive bomber, kamikaze in human form or whatever the hell the player chooses to do with the jet pack types.
    It's not possible to stop someone flying at you mid air coming at 20 or 50 kph. Nobody has such a good reaction time that expects an attack from pretty much a bird. I can have 10 teammates right beside me and none of us will kill the light assault attack.

If there is a problem with the MAX just simply redesign the MAX, turn it into a free unit instead of giving players a broken weapon.
    Problem with tanks? Just resigned some classes and give them real anti-tank weapons.
    • Up x 1
  2. Demigan

Actually they arent that threatening if you use situational awarwness.

For example, if you want to camp out somewhere you immediately place down a spitfire. With a 50m detection range and a warning sound to tell you something is up its better than a proxy radar. Additionally you can place it inbetween you and the nearest enemy approach so it detects them earlier.

Situational awareness is also important. If you want to c4 something you dont wade through enemies to get there as that is far too time consuming. You circumvent them, then use cover to get closer to the tank. This means that several times the LA is visible even before the attack. The LA will need cover that is fairly close to reach you safely so if you occasionally look into the direction where LA's need to pass to get to that piece of cover you can often detect them and react. Often I am actually detected beforehand but the tanker will just forget about me in less than a minute allowing me to just walk up and c4 them.
    "But the cover I chose allowed the LA to reach me without exposing himself!"
    Then dont do that. You avoid walking in the open when tanks are engaging you, so why should tanks be allowed to just sit next to cover and go "nope I am not punishable for this mistake"?

Movement is also key. A few weeks ago I was greedy and ignored my "dont park near cover" advice and farmed while parked underneath the Bastion's tower. C4 could be thrown directly on top of me from the tower. Unfortunately the infantry up top could not just blindly throw it down as c4 suddenly has an awefully small AOE if your target could be anywhere in a +/-40m line. So to throw it they would reveal themselves to me and my spitfire, allowing me to get at maximum 1 c4 on top of me and be away before the second one ever landed. In the end it was a barrage of 5 c4 that ended me and my Lightning... and that is ignoring the c4 they missed or the 2 times afterwards I parked my Lightning there and it was other sources that killed me eventually. 5 c4! Thats 3 people wasting 375 nanites in one go to kill a 350 nanite solo vehicle just because I kept moving!
    As LA when I see one vehicle move once in a while and one just sits there firing shots in perfect tunnelvision you know which tank is going to go boom.

Use friendlies. For some reason when people hop in a tank their situational awareness drops like a stone. But infantry have to be aware all the time to prevent getting killed in mere moments. Sticking close to friendly infantry means they'll pay attention for you and LA's are at their most vulnerable to small-arms when they are flying. This mostly means that you are protected from the direction your allies are running in, but reduces the amount of attention you need to protect yourself.

One of the biggest problems I see is that tankers just seem to think it worth it somehow. You can c4 someone who was sitting stationary for a while. Then they come back to the exact same spot, take no precautions and make no effort to avoud getting c4red again and when you do kill then they use /tell or yellchat to announce how broken C4 is. Why is it broken if you make barely any effort to protect yourself? There's literal no-brain solutions in the Spitfire for example to identify threats for you!
  3. Liewec123

there are a few regions with jump pads where i can kill your tank without you knowing,
    but generally if you're getting a vehicle c4'd anywhere else on the map it is a L2P issue.
    • Up x 3
  4. Campagne

I'd be all for removing C4 from the light assault, if not for the fact that it is one of the only actually effective means of destroying enemy vehicles.

It's cheap, it's cheesy, it's bull****, and it's absolutely necessary. The Rocklet Rifle isn't very powerful and like all rocket launchers it has too low DPS with long TTKs and a very short effective range, especially so against manned vehicles.

C4 is the only thing that can kill an enemy tank effectively and until that is changed I can't support the removal of C4 from infantry, as much as I'd like to.
    • Up x 2
  5. SteelMantis

Hehe, if you think LA's with C4 are bad wait till you see how it would be on an ESF.

Tanks would be a zerg only machine and even harder for infantry to deal with while being sitting ducks in the open.
  6. DarkStarAnubis

LAs are, when used correctly, really OP, far more than HAs.

90% of the population does not look up. In places like Hossin or Amerish I have had enemies passing below the tree I was sitting on - it means you get the surprise advantage almost always, just avoid the ground. You can perch on entrance frames and wait for enemies to enter the room and shot them from behind, or attack a building from the windows, then move up to the floor, then down to the terrace and back again.

Your weapon array is impressive: there are bullet-hose carbines and precision ones, just pick the ones more fitting to your play-style and have fun (I love the Kindred, Cougar, Pulsar C, Horizon, Razor in no particular order) and get a Blackhand for sniping if you want to.

On top of this, you have C-4. Forget the Rocklet Rifle, it is useful to scare vehicles but you can destroy something only if it is already badly damaged or it is a swarm attack. C-4 is devastating against infantry and armor.

If you are lucky enough to get Counter-Intelligence, you have a perfect implant. It has saved me countless times since most of the people first spot you and then open fire (the really good ones open fire immediately and usually kill you anyway)
  7. TR5L4Y3R

even if more AV option were added to the other classes the LA imo could stay this way cause in order to do it´s av job it needs to get to butttouchingrange ....

i would rather remove c4 from all other classes, even engineer if ..

medics, and infils get access to AV grenades
    medics get a rockletrifle, AV granadelauncher or similar midrange primaryoption ..

maybe the engineer could get a midrange AV grenadelauncher allong with a few more AV turretvariants as well ... weither the av nadeluancher is either a primary or toolslotoption that replaces the manaturret i leave up to the air .. other than that he already has access to AV mines, the Av manaturret and can get av grenades via ASP (which personaly i rather find a big investmeant for a token for rather little reward regarding this class)

infil imo while it would be a bit of a stretch could also get a rockletrifle (but nothing else) as primary option

HA assault has lots of stuff ... it could keep c4 but rather as a AI option than AV ...
    rather more usefull would be a nanitecosting ranged consumeable like a one use but strong missilelauncher (suggestion by demigan a.o.) ..

maxes need tweaking to be survivaveable (of course not too much) AV and AI supportplattforms ...
  8. VeryCoolMiller

love this rant vs light.... without c4 no one would play it.
    • Up x 1
  9. FateJH

Except in towers, at least. They're very good at moving between floors in unconventional ways.
    • Up x 1
  10. TR5L4Y3R

... you never heard the term king of flanking then, did you?
    sure i use them for c4 delivery against veghicles but that doesn´t mean their mobilty doesn´t help vs antinfatryfights especialy when positioning above structures and bases is so much easier with them than any other class ..
  11. Commandoo

light assault suck without c4. Let's run around trying to attack a Column of tanks with some anti tank grenade thing that takes 10 hits or something stupid to set it on fire. Light assault is what it is.. and people enjoy it, let's not wreck it for those who actually main them. Not me included since I main Engi but yeah!

On another note too I see light assault as a more solo character. The game changer for those who want to have fun but stay solo.
  12. TR5L4Y3R

wouldn´t mind avnades being available to other classes than HA with a slight buff for removing c4 on them except the light assault ...
  13. Demigan

Everyone thinks the Infiltrator is king of stealth because he's got a stealth suit. But the LA is the real king of stealth. With an LA you can avoid detection by using terrain, moving in ways people dont expect, attacking from one angle and by the time they reach you, you can attack from another angle. I main LA and c4 is just a target of opportunity weapon. I would suggest everyone to try some dedicated LA behind enemy lines. It teaches you stealth gameplay that will improve every other aspect of the game. Especially a shotgun LA. the limited range and lack of cover when you engage enemies mean you have to outthink enemies to succeed and to make shotguns work you need pinpoint perfect accuracy in close range to stay ahead of "hold trigger and look at enemy" automatic weapons.
    • Up x 3
  14. Caydn

to bad we cant drop rate stupid suggestions
  15. FateJH

That's actually the beauty of the fourms. Except for perfectly ignoring posts or people, you can't escape dealing with another person's vision of the game and that's the sort of thing you're dealing with every day.
    • Up x 3
  16. Caydn

Not really I hardly look at these forums as they mostly **** , most the suggestions are as stupid as ****
  17. FateJH

You can say that as much as you want, but you still find yourself here reading and replying.
  18. Torqued

C4 should cost more resource. It's used willy nilly atm. Tanks & Maxes cost considerable resource, to destroy them shouldn't be so cheap for LA's.