[Suggestion] Change in how healing works.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Demigan, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Savadrin

You first, but only after you look up the definition of a strawman.
  2. Demigan

You pathetic child. "noooooooo you fiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrssssssst". Seriously?

Here a Strawman argument: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Which is making up a story, rather than looking at what someone says and informing them of the implications.

Example: If you had said "we should increase the maximum speed on highways so that people are home faster, which means the cars are running for less time and use less fuel".
    It is then not a strawman to point out the implications and that the conclusion is wrong. Like how all the types of drag on the car will mean that an average higher velocity will increase the fuel consumption even though you spend less time on the road. You say that AOE heal is a good substitute for my solution, but my solution is aimed at situations where the healing tool is pulled out rather than the AOE heal. Which incidentally fits 100% perfectly in the strawman category because you start pulling out counter-arguments that are only loosely connected to the point at hand. You might as well have said "but that's why we have the regeneration implant". It's a healing item sure but it's not directly connected to the Medic needing to pull out his healing tool in many situations and that this is a bad way to use healing.

So not only are you acting like a pathetic child you are a also a hypocrite. And just for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy

"Hypocrisy is the practice of engaging in the same behavior or activity for which one criticizes another."
  3. Demigan

I thought it was pretty clear. Any suggestions to improve the above sentence so it becomes more clear?
  4. JudgeNu

Many valid points have been made.

I play MMORPG's also. I am typically a dedicated healer if the game allows.
    I have always wanted Medics main heal to add an AoE heal around the one being healed either in a invisible radius and/or with a chain effect (for visual gratification).

Also i have always hated the default 'new guys should play medic' thing.
    Thats really only a cert farm option.
    Having a bunch of noob players running around with their tool out spam healing people who dont need heals doesnt help.
    You also get medics who rez players in doorways where an experienced player could try to pick off the guy on the other side in a controlled manner and not simply allowing the corpse in the doorway a second , or third, chance to do the same in a, lets say, less tactical approach.
    But it is what it is.

I always say though. If you want team work, join a team.

My 2 cents on a sleepless night.
  5. FateJH

We have existing game jargon for that - "passive systems."
    In which case, no, I do not want to see another independent passive system. Even if you could convince me the raw ability would be beneficial for the Combat Medic experience (as a reduction of stress, maybe), I do not see myself budging on the equip status in the Combat Medic toolset. Utility slot with features that differentiate it from Nano-Regen, at least, or bust.
  6. Liewec123

i like to play triage medic on a scout kobalt flash for base fights,
    (tons of XP, tankier than normal, stronger weapon, very helpful for allies)

so in essence it is how you want medics to work :)
    your health is low? walk over to me and it will regenerate! (maxes too!)

it would be cool if we could have something similar for the medic themselves,
    maybe a new ability slot option instead of the big aoe heal and the shield bubble, a constant passive small aoe heal,
    or if they remove the 300 health limit from "Mending Field" implant it would work the same (albeit a very small heal)

or they could do both so folks like me could stack Triage, Mending Field and the passive aoe heal ability XD
  7. Savadrin

You couldn't get the definition of a strawman correct even after linking it. You don't get to cop out by claiming "informing me of the implications."

Definition: A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.

Honestly, you do it in almost every single post you make. You jump to "logical conclusions" based on your own agenda and then paint the picture as if people made those arguments. Womp womp, the proof is in the pudding and you've left thousands of examples for everyone to see.

I've said it to you before, and I'll say it again, you can't double-talk me like I'm your little brother.

I like a lot of your ideas, and I like that you take the time to give supporting reasons. Never said differently. What I don't like is that your argumentative style is built on falsehood and putting words in the mouths of others. Hyperbole is extra common on forums so that doesn't even get noticed.
  8. PlanetBound

Or just toss a medic pack on the ground the same way ammo works.
  9. Demigan

I should have known that the nuance of "new information can form a strawman argument but not all new information is a strawman argument" is too much for you.

Lets recap everything so far:
    I come with an idea specifically for all the instances a Medic needs to pull out his medtool for healing.
    You say that AOE heal is there for this purpose. This is a strawman as the AOE heal is specifically a situation where the Medic does not pull out his medtool.
    I point out that if AOE heal is the solution, than considering the subject matter the only conclusion can be that the healing part of the medtool would never be used and can be removed. Even if that was a strawman it would only be a strawman for your own strawman. Still with me? Since it is about the medtool in the first place I am not creating a strawman, I'm just pointing out the consequences to the subject at hand.

And again lets use the previous example with cars to drive the point home. If I say I have some fuel saving solution and you then say "just use the gaspedal to drive faster so your engine is running for a shorter time", then the new information I would have about drag forces on your car increasing the fuel consumtion (among other things) would not be a strawman but relevant on-topic information that proves your conclusion wrong.
    Besides that adding my fuel saving solution alongside yours (if it worked) would be better. There is literally no sense in not adding it.
  10. Commandoo

The thing that pisses me off about healing is heavy assaults are getting shot and healing while with med while I'm shooting them then I reload and I get shot back and die.