[Suggestion] Aerial anomalies - why not?!?!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TRspy007

So basically either no one participates in aerial anomalies or one faction mass zergs them and sit alone gathering points unchallenged. Fights now are very stagnant and many ground based AA units tend to interfere, shooting at these stationary targets around the anomaly.

What if instead of dying when trying to enter the anomaly the air vehicles would be teleported to another anomaly - in space. This wouldn't have to be a big fancy continent, just a 'simple' environment only for air, a space kind of like a VR training except in space.

I think this would add another layer to anomalies and maybe some added spice to these one-sided alerts. Of course the hype will die out eventually, but I think this cool mechanic could pave the path for star wars like space conquest/fights in the future if more space features were added.

This would also generate some cool kamikaze moments after the alerts end and the portal closes, leaving a handful of air trapped in space. Idk but I suddenly thought of this and thought why not?

Devs do you think something like this would be somewhat doable? What do you guys think?
  2. Pacster3

The current problem is not an issue of G2A...actually G2A can't do enough damage to really matter(except maybe on gals) and once the anomaly moves they anyway need to respawn(and they have a hard time getting to the new anomaly in most cases). The problem is the deathball that forms and bascily decides who wins the event within the first couple minutes. Your idea would not change that.

Porting players to a new environment sounds fun and something that gives a lot of options for crazy alerts. The disadvantage is that it will disconnect the event from the normal gameplay...you may suddenly end up with empty continents if an event is really fun.
    They could have included PSA like that. At each warpgate a wormhole opens and each faction can send a a roughly equal number of fighters into a last man/last faction standing fight for a certain alien item...if you die you are teleported back. Might actually be a way to connect the 2 games later one.
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

Don't knock ground AA for doing what ground AA should be doing - shooting at enemy aircraft. They shouldn't let themselves become stationary targets anyway.
  4. Skraggz

I feel as if the more appropriate answer to anomalies would make them do increasingly more damage for sitting in them longer. To stop the heave armor from camping them so much and force respawn on air. Why not? its free to pull and it "Should" stop one faction from camping the inner anomalie though it don't stop them from sitting outside of it but then they are not getting points. this is just my opinion though...
  5. Demigan

Why not? Well maybe because there is no reason for aircraft to become invulnerable to G2A at any point, even though they effectively are in many cases. And because the average anomaly is several hundred meters off the ground. Even if you could shoot straight up at an aircraft you'll not do much damage due to the COF sending too many shots off-target and if the aircraft do this thing called "moving" then at that range they have a great chance to avoid most of your shots due to the time it takes for shots to get there.

It's like asking for vehicles to get a giant dome-shield that spans 3 bases and is impassable for aircraft and their weapons just so they can play without aircraft interference. In fact that's a great idea! If you get your anomaly, then we should also get 100% safe vehicles fights.
  6. TRspy007

That's actually not a bad idea. Having some bases shielded from air to improve infantry and vehicles fights. that would be pretty cool, and platoon that want to gal drop would have to neutralize the shield dome first with a strike team. Idk i find it a good idea, considering how often air is able to troll ground vehicles
  7. iller

This issue only got worse when they took the Original ESF Lockons and "Removed them from Play".
    Prior to that, a coordinated Squad could focus (WITHOUT CRASHING INTO EACHOTHER the way a bunch of casual Dogfighters usually do) fire down all the enemy Libs so that their own Faction's Libs could focus down all the repair Skywhales

Without a "Kill Order" that doesn't devolve into pure chaos, it always comes down to which faction brought enough Ramming Fodder to sacrifice to great purple butt hole in the sky

I'm not saying this fixed the issue... I don't KNOW what will actually fix the Score problem ... honestly, I never put any real thought into it so mea culpa
  8. Demigan

The difference is that the shield-dome you are describing is a relatively good idea. It puts a limiter on a somewhat cheesy method of attack that circumvents much of the gameplay and considering the amount of people in a squad/platoon for a ridiculously low price. But having a pure safe zone for aircraft from G2A fire is a bad idea. G2A is already ridiculously low on reasons to be used, from the low amount of targets to how easy it is for aircraft to circumvent them and pick a fight with less G2A to it's ineffectiveness at doing anything worthwhile as it just moves the problem somewhere else most of the time rather than dealing with it.
    That is next to the problem that air already has plenty of room to fight without being interupted by G2A fire by simply finding fights away from bases. Most of the time you can bet that 90% of the map is unused and free from any meaningful G2A presence. While aircraft users will want you to believe that anywhere withint 1000m of an AA source you are screwed the reality is that most G2A weapons barely be effective beyond 300m in horizontal range because the aircraft is also flying at a height, which is incidentally why they call it an aircraft and not a groundcraft. So aircraft have plenty of space to both cross the border between factions and to find fights with other aircraft by simply flying inbetween the nearest aircraft spawn/resupply point and an active fight.

Ofcourse I mentioned that having a shield barrier that prevents aircraft interference but can be deactivated is an relatively good system. Aircraft are already not much used, and the most used are ESF which can still perform A2A when their A2G is removed (if they don't just prey even more on small fights than they already do). Most aircraft are not designed for A2A and would become even more useless until those shields come down, which will make the ESF even more the one-trick-pony of the air than it already is. As a measure to make gameplay more enjoyable for the average player it's going to work, but having an actual good interplay between all the different aircraft models and between aircraft vs ground would work a lot better.

The fact is that the SOE devs set a terrible precendent in the early days. Simple full mouse control wasn't given to the players even though it was available "because they wanted people to learn it". Then they made G2A weapons all deterrents because they wanted more people in the air in aircraft vs aircraft fights not realizing how bad it is to have the only thing capable of defeating something to be that something itself is a terrible way to run a game. Subsequently aircraft players have been pandered to constantly. Sure they've seen nerfs but only to the most overtly ridiculous things. Noseguns that could kill tanks from the top faster than tanks could kill each other. Rocketpods that could eliminate everything around a Sunderer with just 3 rockets and did more damage than a current TankBuster to tanks. But they got so much in return, from auto-granted auto-repair when entering as an Engineer to increased power to their fire suppression to nerfs to G2A weapons "because they were too effective when in the hands of skilled people" I mean seriously.

It's time to just throw the entire current air-game in the trashcan and rebuild it from scratch properly.
  9. TRspy007

[quote="Demigan, post: 3531796, member: 181911"

The fact is that the SOE devs set a terrible precendent in the early days. Simple full mouse control wasn't given to the players even though it was available "because they wanted people to learn it". Then they made G2A weapons all deterrents because they wanted more people in the air in aircraft vs aircraft fights not realizing how bad it is to have the only thing capable of defeating something to be that something itself is a terrible way to run a game. Subsequently aircraft players have been pandered to constantly. Sure they've seen nerfs but only to the most overtly ridiculous things. Noseguns that could kill tanks from the top faster than tanks could kill each other. Rocketpods that could eliminate everything around a Sunderer with just 3 rockets and did more damage than a current TankBuster to tanks. But they got so much in return, from auto-granted auto-repair when entering as an Engineer to increased power to their fire suppression to nerfs to G2A weapons "because they were too effective when in the hands of skilled people" I mean seriously.

It's time to just throw the entire current air-game in the trashcan and rebuild it from scratch properly.[/quote]

I think it's time to build this whole game from scratch :D

Regardless, the G2A wasn't really my main concern in this thread, I just wanted something to renew the hype for aerial anomalies, and hopefully keep it there so that alert becomes a little more enjoyable, like in the beginning. The G2A gameplay is terrible because there isn't a scenario where it is balanced. There are either not enough AA units and the air shreds everything, or there are too many AA units and the air gets shredded or runs away.

I would like to see some 'simple' mechanics being implemented here and there in order t make alerts more interesting, and not useless like the ant alert. Just to keep players interested until Oshur releases.
  10. TR5L4Y3R

air and areal anomalies don´t requier new mechanics, what they need is accesability ..
    even if aircraft during air anomalies is free the main demotivator for the novice airplayer are the controls primarily of the esf ..

there needs to be a better ballance between air vs ground and vehicles vs infantry in general in general
    .. it should be not required to have to isolate these groups through arbitrary protectiondomes like unless players want very specific areas to focus on their prefered combatgroup but still .. biolabs f.e. are already the most drastic way to isolate infantry from vehicles ... what rather needs to be done is to provide every group the options and accesability to be able to fight the other groups or/and support them ...

the ant alert imo is not useless .. in my experience it leads to more focused vehiclecombat and if people are smart enough they can quickly raise small pmb´s to consolidate a extractionpoint ...

the thing is even if each combatgroup (infantry, vehicles, aircraft) has the provided options and accesibility it still comes down to player, squads and platoons were the preferably want to fight ..

and imo the airanomalyevent is at worse place than the ant refule and refineevent