[PSA] Crash fix for June 6, 2019 patch

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by tommyrocket, Jun 6, 2019.

1. tommyrocket

Redditors do it again, and a possible fix has been found at last. Deleting the UI folder fixes it.(Possible other files required to delete along with it, check below) You can redeploy once again.
    Essentially, re-installing the game will have the same effect, but this is faster and requires less bandwidth usage.

• Planetside 2\UI
    • Planetside 2\Locale
    • Planetside 2\ValidationDLLs
    • Planetside 2\Resources\Assets
    It will re-download those files. Assets are worth 11 gigs, so be prepared for a large download. (basically reinstall) It may revert to windowed mode and show a hardware cursor for now/first launch, but it fixes the freeze & crash.

Credit to Taltharius, and also TrooperNoH4x on reddit for testing / findings.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Planetside..._when_trying_to_access_the_mapscreen/eq7gyzx/

A screenshot from Tal as well to help with what you can try deleting in case just deleting the UI folder doesn't work.

https://i.imgur.com/WhUcXHT.png
    • Up x 1
  2. tommyrocket

Just wanted to make an update to this-- it's too late to edit now, but I'll say that the stuff I bullet-pointed are required.

At any rate, doing a complete re-install will fix the issues.
    • Up x 1
  3. Zizoubaba

yup, works perfectly !

Ever consider being a DEV? They could use someone like you !:=)
  4. tommyrocket

Sure I have. I however take little to no credit for this. While I have done testing on my own end, it is others who found the collective answer quicker. Spreading the word is also doing my part, so that's what I'll do for now. We are very fortunate to have passionate users who play this who are very quick to use their smarts to help the community.

If anyone deserves praise, it is those individuals.
    • Up x 1
  5. Trillsiker

Meh ? Basicaly he's saying : delete game file that result in the same way of reinstalling the game to fix a gamebreaking bug implemented in the last update by devs.

Please don't encourage ppl to be devs with such solutions to problems :D
    Would be better if the devs could clean their mess or just rollback to previous state... That would be acceptable, not the other way.
  6. Zizoubaba

I'm sorry, did the current DEVs actually say ANYTHING at all? ANYTHING?

They take the servers down, they path them, there is CRITICAL GAME BREAKING BUG and not a ******* word?

I don't care if it was as easy as bending over and pulling my socks up, fact is, I don't know **** about online gaming programming, and I was stuck. Literally could not play.

OP and his sources, found a solution, fixed the issue, how can you even have that attitude ..
  7. tommyrocket

Well, I get what he means. Just because I and others have found a simple solution to an issue, doesn't exactly qualify us for being game developers or programmers. Doesn't mean I or the others haven't dabbled in that area either, (I personally have before) but what would be more important in this case is experience with the Forgelight Engine. (Of which I have zero experience)

What it does say about us, though, is that we like the game and will go the extra mile to help everyone else play. If there's one good reason, it's because the crashing has made the morning pop more dead than usual, and I'd kind of like to fix that, y 'know?
  8. billias18

So basically, no word from Devs, users found a workaround and it needs pretty much reinstalling the whole game.
    As it seems my day off for this game didn't worth it. And above all these i ******* need +-8 hours to re download the client due to my internet speed. ffs...
  9. Zizoubaba

yeh ok, still, you did their work. That it was a simple solution makes it even worse imo.. anyway, enough forum spamming for a day, thank you again :)
  10. VeryCoolMiller

doesn't work
    • Up x 2
  11. Speggn

Devs know it. Its a server issue they say... wich does not seem to be right if a reinstall helps. Or they just forgot some game files after the patch and when the server expects them, and they are missing, it crashes... Who knows....
  12. Neader

Because it does not fix the problem. I reinstalled the game completly late afternoon via Steam -> Still crashs after some time. Did whats written here/on Reddit and let the PS2 Launcher download the files -> Still crashs after some time. Sometimes I can play for 20 minutes without a crash, sometimes 2 minutes.
  13. tommyrocket

Odd. Been playing here since fixing it without any further issues. Did not install via steam.
  14. VeryCoolMiller

guys love this game... but every patch day is like a day in the hell... may i suggest to develop a process to ensure the patch is actually "done" before release it ?
    • Up x 1
  15. LOO7

This does not work for me. what a waste of time. Oh well. The official response in the PS2 bug tracker is " this is a server issue we are currently looking into it" or something similar. So as a geek I wish I checked the bug tracker first since I know changing client side files cannot fix server issues.
  16. Speggn

well after I did it, the game was fine for about half an hour, after that returned to the "crash after the first death" bug.

We all should holt true to the old proverb: "NEVER PLAY ON PATCH DAY" Even though i really want to....
  17. tommyrocket

Interesting. That would suggest that our success would stem from coincidences. Coincidences which were randomly confirmed successes due to work the devs were doing server-side. I'd considered that, but at the time there was no proof as to whether or not they were doing something, though I assumed they were hard at work on it.
  18. icufos

I've just done these 3 folders...
    • Planetside 2\UI
    • Planetside 2\Locale
    I'll play for an hour plus to see if it works and report back.
  19. icufos

K, played for 1 hour 10 minutes and no problems at all so far.

Going to play some more, if it borks..... I'll be back..

Could be GPU specific?
    I have an AMD card.
    RX 580 8GB
    i5 4670K 3.4 GHz
    16GB Ram
    W7
  20. icufos

Oh, despite deleting the 3 folders..still froze at a spawn point/sunderer after approx 2 hours playtime. The game was still running but I could not move and my weapon wasn't visible.
    • Planetside 2\UI
    • Planetside 2\Locale