cant seem to get kills

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Irrelevant--, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Irrelevant--

I heard that a lot of issues were fixed so I decided to come back and play my old TR character again. Issue is, I lose just about every 1v1 gunfight now. Even if I get the drop on someone, fire full auto into them - I won't even break through their shields before they turn around and drop me in what feels like 3 hits. On the death screen - even with all my shots hitting, they are at full health with only some moderate shield damage. What am I doing wrong? I have a great pc and internet over hardline. halp.
  2. AlcyoneSerene

Don't know the answer to that question since that still happens to me, and my suggestion is to try to not engage those players in 1vs1 situations since their lag or exploiting the network with I don't know what (packet loss?) never results in much damage being registered on them. I don't discount the possibility that some are just highly skilled and will twitch turn to head instantly, but I've seen enough nonsense warping and fast-forwarding from them to know something shady is going on.

There's also a bug or network problem which prevents the other player's health menu from showing accurately, so they may actually have less health than displayed.

Time of day is another thing I noticed personally, with peak hours for the local server generally having the least of such completely unfair encounters, and off-hours before that the worst. This wouldn't be a surprise if a proportion of those are playing from another continent with laggy connections.

Otherwise, be sure you are ADAD spamming or occasionally quick croutching as the situation calls for it - start the shorts with a brief pause if aiming down sights to center CoF, unload in whatever burst is appropriate, then ADAD and maybe quick crouch once or twice.
  3. Sobdude

Aim for the head. If you rarely lay headshots you will never win 1v1.
    Another thing: always fire in bursts.
    • Up x 1
  4. Demigan

Don't aim for the head, it's only useful for the opening shots unless you have a few specific weapons or are at very close ranges. A good practice is to start aiming at the head and immediately move towards the torso. I personally prefer to aim at the neck area, some shots will go into the head and some into the torso.

What you are describing is the latency system. On your screen you seem to be killed in just 3 shots, but on their screen they had to pump you just as full of lead as you had to. The reason they still seem to have full health is because the deathscreen updates slower than other things since forever. This means that the deathscreen shows more health and shield than they actually have.

Try to change tactics. First get some confidence shooting enemies with an HE gun for example, pretty laidback and keep between your allies. Move around while doing this to throw off enemy C4 fairies.
    Then try using an SMG infiltrator for example. Get behind enemy lines (use a stealth Flash for example) and find a few inattentive enemies, say a sniper or someone standing still and lobbing rockets or something. Kill such easy players to get a feel for the weapons you have and a few good experiences. Simply having a few good experiences can sometimes be necessary so that you see your successes and stop focussing on your failures.
    • Up x 3
  5. Tasogie

This post.....
    Just to add to it, I came back last week an Just now I am starting to get my eye in. It happens alot an it isn't unusual for me to go die 200 times to 10 kills.... Bad days happen.
  6. Tarvaldd

Just came back to the PC version, noticing this far more than I ever did on the Ps4 version, that being said it's like 60% Latency, 20% they're skilled, and 20% we're rusty. Practice, practice, practice and pick your battles. Notice the guys with high kills generally avoid 1v1's and play with their teams doing 4v1, 10v1 and so on so forth.
  7. DerMalle

Ah nice to know that it's not only me. First i was asuming lots of hackers but i believe the networkcode is just crap.
    Most annoying when you pump a magazin in their backs and they turn around with any weapon and oneshot you.
    I am playing shotgun only now because any other weapon is useless due to crappy netcode.
  8. Scroffel5

The lower your FPS is, the slower your gun fires. If you have a low FPS, they are gonna kill you faster, even if they only hit body shots and you did too. You said your PC is good, so I don't think it is that. They are possibly hitting headshots. I know exactly what you are talking about, because it is the same for me. It feels like it takes forever, but my FPS is just low. Its less than 30. Way less, usually around 15. In big battles, I get 5 FPS, so I am pretty much useless there, and in smaller battles, I can get maybe 23.
  9. DarkStarAnubis

In my (relatively limited) experience, 99.9% of 1vs1 fights are won by the initiator unless he is a bad shot. Given an human reaction time of 250-300ms and 100-200ms of round-trip latency before getting hit notifications plus some time to - say 100-200ms- to acquire and start to fire back you are then close to the theoretical TTK of many weapons, meaning you will be dead by the time you start to react.

From what you describe, it looks like you did not hit him well enough. Try to record your session next time and look in slow motions at how many bullets you shot and how many hits you scored. You may be very surprised.

Remember hit detection is client-side. So your opponent can't hack his shape to make you miss shots. He can hack yours to make your head or body easier to hit but that's another issue.