Can we get rid of weapon lock already?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pondera, May 5, 2019.

1. Doc Jim

Same as some others on this thread, 6 years in the game and 1 or maybe 2 weapons locks in total and those were because of intense teamkilling feuds. Accidental friendly fire in regular gameplay does not produce weapon locks. You're doing it wrong.
    • Up x 1
  2. LordKrelas

If I can throw a grenade that one-shots everyone but my Allies in a ball of them, it doesn't matter if it kills me or not:
    As that means, any notion of controlled-fire is gone, and I can spam AOE into allies with barely a risk.
    Let alone with a Medic nearby, and I can keep endlessly doing it.

And on the Grief side; A bastard can kill allies with their own guns.
    They try to stop them, They suicide with the kickback damage.
    If they C-4 or attempt to, they'll can kill themselves trying to stop the endless tide of C-4.

Weapon-Lock:
    Uncontrolled Fire is lethal & counter-productive, and results in the user not being to go on allied-killing spree.

50% Friendly-Fire & 10% Feedback:
    You can spam AOE into Allied units, flawlessly killing enemies.
    Or kill allies whom can't do anything past kill themselves.

I rather the Lock, than make explosive-spam more effective.
    And those who can't avoid the lock, or are TKers, would enjoy an longer spree of allied murder.
  3. JibbaJabba

The settings I suggested (50% FF, 10% kickback) are ones I've seen work on other games in custom servers.

The 50% is makes it so **accidental** deaths from TK drop. The 10% though is the part that is most effective. I've seen servers with and without the kickback. The percentage makes little difference. Any kickback at all solicits an immediate ceasefire from the player. It's amazingly effective.

That said, I suppose some jerk would push on through even with the reduced damage output. For the intentional TKer we might still need a weapon lock.

OR... make the kickback start at zero and increase the farther you get into the weaponlock warning zone. 150% kickback just prior to weapon lock... you can't effectively TK when getting 150% kickback.
    • Up x 1
  4. TR5L4Y3R

to quickly anwer the title:

no, we can´t !
  5. Hereyagoboom

I don't see this being an issue. Haven't weapon locked since PS1. I definitely don't play at the frontline so that might be why. Love construction/support.
  6. Voozilla

KEEP WEAPON LOCK! It's a skill check to control those people who can't aim!
    • Up x 3
  7. Roxxlyy Community Relations

We don't have any plans to remove weapon lock - as others have said, friendly fire can be an important and unique aspect of the way that battles play out in the game, but removing weapon lock could easily encourage team killing trolls like no other. For the most part it shouldn't be an issue for a regular player unless you're having a really, really unlucky day.
    • Up x 7
  8. JudgeNu

Same. I have been close because of Vehicle clashes. Sometimes you can move at 2 mph and the world comes at you! I think the higher your speed the more culpable you should be calculation-side.
  9. Hereyagoboom

Never had a problem with weapon lock. If I do shoot one of my guys I feel bad as I think you should. Doesn't matter if they walk in front of me, I pulled the trigger or tossed the grenade. Things happen. I think your weapon lock is well deserved if your hitting your faction. You should put the other guy ahead of yourself and be accountable for your decision. I think Warpaint Gamer and Pale Riders reinforced that for me on his channel.
  10. Rydenan

My only serious issue with the WL system is that it basically forces you to stop playing if you happen to get locked. After a WL, you can go the next 10mins without a single bit of friendly damage (which is hard in Planetside!), and then hit one bullet on a friendly who dives in front of you, and bam! Now you're weapons locked for 20 minutes. And the "tolerance" only gets more and more impossible to meet from there. Your only options are to go Cortium farming or log out. A well-designed system would reward players who get WL and subsequently try to be more careful.
  11. Clipped!

Could not agree more. However, it would be nice if vehicle collision gave grief points to the correct person when I'm in a stationary tank (or other vehicle) and a friendly sundy or harraser doesn't slow down and/or practice safe driving and gives me the second or third FF warning for getting rammed by a lighter/smaller vehicle. The fact you can weapon lock a friendly tank with intentional vehicle trolling is frightening. Would also be nice if it procc'ed a different message for the rammer to drive more carefully.