Nightshade Knife Is Broken & Underpowered

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wolfborne, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Wolfborne

The nerf to the knife was a bit much. It now takes 3 hits to kill infantry, making it worse than any other knife. However, that is not the major issue. The bigger issue is that you can't actually throw it, even though the description says Thrown / Melee. That means in order to damage armor, you have to get up close and personal, AND when the armor explodes, it damages you to the point that it drops your shields and chips away at your health. Not a good thing.

Fix this DBG.
    • Up x 1
  2. DIGGSAN0

It was not a nerf. It was a bug that got fixed...sadly the devs never planned to make it that good... :(

It makes less Damage than a Standart Knife...for a Ability that takes to long to be usefull.... Same crap as amaterasu...good concept, bad execution.
  3. FredM

I finished the event today and yes - it makes lesser damage as the standart knife. Also it has this greenish color and does not realy fit to any VS/TR/NC outfit.

No point to get it.
  4. Scrundle

Reasons to use Nightshade:
    • It's free for everyone
    • It makes cute green splash particles when you hit things
    • It has the same damage type as heavy machine guns
    • It strikes fear & loathing into the hearts of everyone who only has a Fatestealer
    Reasons not to use Nightshade:
    • Could clash with your outfit, ruining your style
    • You don't have one
    • Takes one extra swing to kill someone with it (Here's a hint, shoot them first)
    And i'd just like to point out, my Nightshade has killed far more Fatestealer wielding infiltrators bum-rushing me than they've gotten successful kills on me, which I like to think makes them pucker with frustration.
    • Up x 1
  5. Mr. Thoughtful

I tried the default Chainblade and that also requires 3 hits to kill.
  6. Demigan

As far as I can tell the knife is just a knife with a weird thing. If it was exactly like other knives but with AV capabilities it would be a straight upgrade. So having it deal 50 less damage is a good solution.

As for it's AV role. Yes it's nothing to write home about, but that's because it's a knife, an unlimited ammo weapon for emergencies and not a primary murder-you-where-you-drive weapon. I can see this weapon have a role as a backup, a finisher if a (potenitally empty) vehicle is damaged, burning and trying to get away.

Also anyone know what kind of damage it does against MAX's? If you are in a pinch and hug-dancing with a MAX you might be better off using this knife instead of your primary weapon.
  7. Scrundle

Yep! It takes 14 body-shots to kill a MAX.
    Which actually in the grand scheme of things isn't that bad. You're not going to 1v1 100% a MAX to death sure but those few swings you get in while he's distracted could make all the difference for your teammates and therefore for the fight.

Before it was fixed, when it had Archer damage type, it took four swings to kill a max. Nobody can say that giving everyone a knife that kills MAXes in four hits was a good idea and keep a straight face.
  8. Lee Weldon

What I'm devo about is I spent all day running at people trying to C4 them, to get the 50 explosive kills expecting the fatestealer to stay in the game but post event you lose it and then all that time I wasted looking for shinies too. I could have probably grinded 1000 certs in that time through regular methods and had gotten another knife or anything else probably far more useful for 1000 certs. But I'm sure it's my fault for not reading the event info, I'm sure it probably said something about this and I just didn't read it.