VS Obelisk worth it?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TR5L4Y3R, Feb 28, 2019.

1. TR5L4Y3R

pretty much the title

currently taking a step back on farming PMB unlockables and rather going for some general arms
    i want to have available to me sssoooo yea took a look on the obelisk battlelrifle and at least in VR it feels promising ... but thats always one thing ..

so what are your thoughts? is it a good weapon for second row players in practise?
  2. Talthos

It's like most of the weapons in Planetside 2; it has the 'potential' to be very powerful, but player skill is still required to make the most of that potential.

The Obelisk has no damage falloff, but also has literally no bullet drop, either. And if you can manage the heat mechanic effectively, you can be pretty goddamn scary with it; 2 headshots to kill non-Heavy classes.
    • Up x 2
  3. Eternaloptimist

I have three loadouts - for short, medium and long range engagements. Obelisk is my long range weapon with a 6x reflex sight (yep, basically a semi auto sniper rifle) and it is awesomely good at dropping planetmans at crazy range. Not having any drop is a great help to me.
    • Up x 2
  4. WinterAero

I'm of two minds with it. Like most battle rifles it can be effective. It can also be hit and miss depending on engagement (more about the players/opponents skill) combined with the environment.

If you are on the back row in some cluster *** of a fight, you can pick off people with ease. Arguably however, almost any weapon would be as effective as long as it packs a bit of range. In my experience, as soon as the 'instant headshot' type snipers appear though its simply too slow a rate of fire vs exposure time.

I found Eidolon to not have this issue and to put out a decent mobility/vs rate of fire.

If you come across any 'pro' outfit, especially front loaded with mobility meta heavies that drop you with instant headshots from range. Saw primarily or the rather 'lol' rendering of the watchman, you are more often than not going to wish you didn't bother. There simply isn't the room to use the weapon outside of its ideal range (obviously) and most of the time vets (most of the game now) will shrug off the odd shot (unless you are super accurate) and drop you before you can punch through them with burst fire. The TTK of NC lmg's with good accuracy is nothing to sniff at - and with enough weaving about like a lunatic, they can just spray you down when you lose momentum in no time at all.

So on paper its fine. In the right situations its also fine. But everything is. I'm certainly not convinced I'd bother with it on anything outside my infil or extreme behind the lines work. 9/10 I've felt punished for bringing it and wanted the versatility of something else. The revenant was the first thing I unlocked too. So it's not like I don't enjoy the concept.
    • Up x 1
  5. Pacster3

Pretty much what WinterAero says. You can use it for range which comes in quite handy with ASP. Heat is nice but very, very situational. Overall it's second to Eidolon tho when it comes to VS ES weapons of that kind.
    • Up x 1
  6. LodeTria

Like all battle rifles, it's pretty meh in the main slot. It's just not a "jack of all trades" enough to justify using over a carbine or LMG or Assault rifle.

It is however very useful in the pistol slot, once you unlock the ability to put it there on medics via ASP.
  7. Liewec123

IIt's probably the best of the 2nd gen battle rifles
    All 3 factions have the same ROF, muzzle velocity and damage,
    But NC get a freaky piercing mechanic, TR get automatic fire (not too important on a slow firing weapon)
    While VS get that juicy "Infinite ammo" heat mechanic, and no bulletdrop
    AND access to an attachment that gives it a bit of cqc ability. (It acts like an LMG with a laser sight)

Its an amazing gun and everyone should try it! :)
    Though if you're after a mid/long range weapon for your VS (and don't mind playing infil) try Phaseshift!
    One of my favourite guns in the game!
  8. JibbaJabba

It hits a tad soft so you're gonna need to step up that headshot game. It does have good RoF though so you can chase a running target with some spam if the headshot is gonna be too tough.

I agree with LodeTria. It's a fantastic secondary weapon for ASP Medics. I run it constantly on mine.

The ammo & heat mechanic has really grown on me. If you're a fan of the Betelgeuse, you'll see some of the same stuff with the Obelisk. I think I like the Bishop better though.
  9. TR5L4Y3R

i may look on the phaseshift later
    at the moment i´m rather looking for a crosscrlass ranged weapon
    obelisk being rather skillbased i don´t mind .. so yea looking at what people say about it i think i pick it up ..
  10. TR5L4Y3R

i think the solstice for the vs is a fair all around weapon as i mostly i play engineer and LA
    i may pick the serpent or vx6 ( i think?) for CQC later ..

the obelisk would be my engineer and infilchoice for range ..

personaly i just can´t get warm with the medic ..
  11. adamts01

100% get it. As a fan of the Dragoon, I bought the Obelisk and it's a straight upgrade. No bullet drop is insanely good on that gun, and even if your aim isn't great, it's a 3 shot kill to the body at any range (on most targets). The heat mechanic is very nice with that gun, since you'll normally be on flanks or a little behind the action where there isn't much ammo. Plus it has full auto hip fire which is great for when you get jumped at close range. It's one of my favorite guns in the game and easy mode if you have the opportunity to be a 2nd line fighter. All of that combined with cloak and this game's latency makes it a great killer outside of smg range.
  12. Hereyagoboom

It's my favorite gun in the game. Someone gets close I can drop them easily from hip shot, long range is a blast because I hate all the snipers and I can give it back from range. Live this gun. I have the Deagoon too and they messed up. Feel bad forTR with that one so I stick with AMR66. Obelisk for me is a blast.
  13. OneShadowWarrior

Just the ability to not have to worry about ammo is worth it.