[Suggestion] Hardlight headlights

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Asic, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Asic

In the times when you can get overwhelmed in any vehicle and killed at night by cloaked star-fall bearing flash with no real means to countering it before it fires it's salvo and disappears into the darkness again I propose that vehicles headlights would work the same way as the flashlight does on weapons - reveal cloaked units. This would
    a) give you a chance to spot or find a threat
    b) force attacker to more elaborate attack pattern that does not involve just circling around you.
    Thoughts?
  2. LordKrelas

Pull Vehicle with Kobalt, have Hardlight Headlights.
    Put on Harasser, MBT or ANT: With the latter two being immune to infiltrators near completely.

IE, more worried about it erasing the ability to use Infiltrators near any place a vehicle can exist.
    Though yes, Those Flashes are easily annoying; In theory the PTS has a slight adjustment being tested to help solve this.
    Without destroying the ability to use cloaks near vehicles.
    • Up x 2
  3. Blam320

I would prefer Darklight headlights. As of right now, the game's so bright there really is no real reason to use them to begin with.
    • Up x 1
  4. Asic

Will we ever know if this has been considered by the production team?
  5. Asic

Had similar situation recently, still annoyed that headlights can't reveal cloaked units. Their range is pretty pathetic so it would only be useful if someone drove straight at you, but still.
  6. LordKrelas

Pull Armored Vehicle (Sunderer, Ant, Any Tank)
    Drive near PMB, or near anywhere infantry are. Turn on Head-lights.

If you have a Kobolt, you are basically untouchable death to the infiltrators who can't even fire while cloaked.
    Enemy Flash comes up; You are also able to see them when they have a weapons-lock.

You could literally park or drive your vehicle around, with any weapon, and murder them effortlessly.
    Let alone if it's near a choke-point or tower.
    Let alone if it has a Kobolt on it.

Outside the Armored ANT, any unit that is cloaked is fragile as sin, and weapons-locked to be cloaked.
    And you want every vehicle, to have Lights that hard-counter their ability, when if you are close-range, You already can see them.
    With your Darklight Head-light, every AI vehicle has a kill-zone for infiltrators, and can also then literally drive around, detecting Any cloak the driver was Blind enough to miss...

Add in ANTs, and you basically have any armored vehicle able to hunt down cloaking units, without even a single risk...
    As the vehicle's headlights hard-counter the cloak to be bright-as-day, and most of these vehicles have effective AI guns on them.

IE, what my first post said to this.
  7. Inogine

I really don't get how you folks are having trouble with the cloaked flash. Murdered them at every encounter so far as a harasser driver even when we've been down to a quarter health with him stalking us. How? It's not hard to know when they're coming and it's really not... difficult? to plan ahead and know that repairing near a front line's gonna lead you into trouble.

As a tanker, I rarely get in trouble with them either as long as I'm aware of troop movements and leave myself an out. If you commit too deep, expect someone to be watching to take advantage of that. Looking at you tankers who never actually check around you.

As for the infantry, the fact that there's a battle right over your head can make things chaotic, but much the same, look around. Place mines. Never seen a flash (or harasser for that matter) that racked up a lot of kills without committing themselves do death with a charge.

Yes, this is even against the dreaded Starfall. Though I've personally not noticed them be particularly more effective than some weapons already had. Usually the only time you'd want to ambush is when you're sure of the kill anyway, so check what you were doing beforehand.

That said, against this idea. Rather than hitting it with a nerf bat or trying to get hard counters, check your tactics. You already have the tools at your disposal to kill'em.
  8. Hegeteus

Wraith flash was nerfed already, so I don't think there's necessarily a need for this idea. Seems like this thread might precede the change anyway... damn necros