PlanetSide Arena

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by iller, Dec 12, 2018.

1. pnkdth

Different styles in a familiar setting. You have the F2P MMOFPS open-world shooter, you got the massively multiplayer BR (up to 500 players), you get the classic competitive modes. So maybe you really like the gunplay and overall gameplay of PS2 (I do) and even though I enjoy the open world aspect of it all I can also gather a few friends for some easy pickup (or competitive) gaming.

So far we've had Server Smashes and Lane Smashes and it sounds like there might just be something in the line of both of those in PSA. With the class-system and BR (plus other modes) have a massively multiplayer BR that combines things from FPS games such as Team Fortress/Overwatch and put them in different settings.

I started this game in a highly competitive outfit and the aim was to compete but SOE mismanaged and neglected this aspect leaving it in the hands of the community and hosting games on the PTS server. PSA might just bring this back. I doubt it'll revitalize and ignite wide-spread interest but it has piqued my interest.

TL;DR:
    PS2 has the role of an open world sandbox MMOFPS.
    PSA gives us a pickup play/competitive version to add a bit of variety to the Planetside experience.
    Maybe I'm crazy here but having the option for a change of pace might just make players appreciate what PS2 is already doing.
  2. pnkdth

PSA is a way to fulfill the promise to gamers early on of a competitive landscape. Personally, if they handle this correctly I'll appreciate Planetside 2 and DGB more for it. Instead of taking extended breaks from PS2 (which I already do) I might just spend it doing some competitive games or random pickup games with friends in PSA.

Also, a massively multiplayer BR game sounds like fun honestly.
  3. iPervy

Lets be clear here, nowhere was it ever mentioned or said that PSA was made for the folks in the early PS2 esports era. There was no promise, and they certainly aren't trying to fulfill some promise.The esports part of PS2 were chunks of dev time wasted on battle islands that never saw the light of day and resources aimed solely at trying to get the money pile of competitive esports back when that blew up the - same way PSA is now doing for Battle royale.

We all just are hoping that they didn't just waste another chunk of time that could of been used more competently. And looking at how they slapped the game together it sure seems that way imo, though I personally feel it can be saved. But, not in its current state.
    • Up x 1
  4. pnkdth

They didn't have to say it. What I see in PSA could be a way of filling that promise. You might not feel it was a promise but I was there in the scene and there was a commitment until there wasn't. A broken promise which might now actually happen.

Stop talking as if you represent "us" or "all." As a PS2 vet, I am able to realize the game, as it is, will not retain players. Players need something to do that isn't a neverending grind to nowhere. Most other MMOs out there have different kinds of activities to keep the players interested.

You might think it is a cash grab. I see a game studio realizing the world doesn't care about MMOFPS games or at the very least doesn't care about an MMOFPS that is ONLY an open world MMOFPS. So... a BR game with 500 players might just bring in players and have them experience the scale and awe of massively MMOFPS.

So yeah, until I am proven otherwise, I'm remaining hopeful.
  5. iPervy

I'm not going to skip arguing the fluff because it doesn't matter (although it probably would make me feel better because I gladly would haha). In the end of the day any person willing to invest the time to chat away on a niche forum as this is vet worthy in my book (in terms on of qualification for opinion).

We both are on the same side and agreement on wanting PSA to succeed for the betterment of anything Planetside related. I just am suggesting ideas along with hoping for the best.
    • Up x 1
  6. Nayrx

It will make people that are already playing appreciate it by taking out everything that makes it unique. Persistent world, factions etc
  7. Tovarisch Maxim

They turned planetside into another regular Battlefield/Call of Duty/Fortnite/PUBG clone.

I liked planetside 2 simply because you get to choose which faction to play with and the massive openworld it have, they took all of it away.
    • Up x 2
  8. Scatterblak

If there's a PS3, better hope it's on a new, licensed and supported engine.
  9. strikearrow

Wow you actually used the word competitive as trait of PS2. Sorry mate, with client-side hit detection PS2 is not, has never been, and never will be competitive. The game engine simply does not allow it.

It is a fun F2P game, but is so full of exploits and bugs that it cannot be competitive even if PS2 somehow switched to server-side hit detection.
    • Up x 1
  10. OgreMarkX

100% correct. The freedom and advantages hackers have in Planetside 2 will be the same in Planetside Arena. Support style for PS2 will be the same in PSA.

PSA will be infected by hackers from day one, and will get worse.
    • Up x 1
  11. WinterAero

When I first started looking into how common hacking actually was in ps2; It wasn't so much the volume of cheaters that surprised me (assumed it to be low as per community belief); more so that some of the names revealed on the cheat forums or by the cheat devs themselves were people who have long term stakes in the game. Cosmetics, helping out on pts and so on.

That's the disappointing part. That even those who profess a stake in loving the game, need their 'rep' so bad they can't handle losing and reach for the radar/recoil and soft aim help.

If many of them weren't so stupid as to use versions of their names here on the cheat forums themselves (lol :confused:) it wouldn't have been immediately apparent. But as I've said in the past, when you examine the number of cheat sites over the years - take account of the number of registered users in the ps2 subforums - compare that to the amount of players total the game has; then using whatever metric you like hazard a guess on the number of bans; you will start to see the real issue with claiming their are few cheaters in the game.

Because where there is a will to cheat - there is always a way. As the hitbox adjustment some time ago showed, or the private hacks some were running. WhoIsDiz is over on another game now actually 'with me' and I say that loosely lol; doing his 'thing'. Such a skilled fellow im sure.

There are far, far more cheaters in this game than many of you expect. The denial brigade don't do much for the effort of investigation but go an speak to some of the cheat devs yourself and they will give you a good summary of whats done about the vast majority of cheaters (subtle high br players) - absolutely nothing. Because its apparently difficult to detect.

By all means play this game; but don't invest any money. I really am trying to say this for your own good. Not only is the game nearly dead, the amount of cheats available and those that feel forced to use them (to get ahead of subtle pro's) has always been so much larger than you think. 100% awareness, after an entire day of play isn't humanly possible ..or is it 'pro's'? lol.
    • Up x 1
  12. PlanetBound

13. pnkdth

Well, regardless of your feelings on the matter it was a lot of fun and I remember the outfit rivalry fondly. It was a shame it was never capitalized on.
    • Up x 1