Need help! Game having issues on new computer...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wolfborne, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Wolfborne

My previous computer was an Alienware laptop that is three years old. It ran PS2 just fine. I just received my new desktop, and despite being a MUCH better rig, it is having issues in the game. I get this stuttering effect where the terrain has these little "screen jumps." It is extremely annoying.

The new rig:
    Alienware Aurora R7
    8th Gen Intel i5-8400 clocked @ 4GHz, with 6 cores and 9MB cache
    NVidia Geforce GTX 1070 GPU with 8GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR4 RAM @ 2666MHz
    500GB SSD PCIe
    Liquid cooled CPU + 850w power supply
    Qualcomm dual band @ 2.5/5GHz
    Spectrum 200 mbps internet connection
    Windows 10

Monitor = Alienware AW2518H 25" with G-Sync, 240Hz refresh rate, 1ms response

PS2 settings:
    Full Screen mode
    1920x1080 resolution
    Render 100%
    Brightness 0
    FoV 74
    Vert Sync off
    Render Distance 2,000
    Smoothing, Fog Shadows, Ambient Occlusion, Bloom, Motion Blur = off

Graphics Quality = high
    Texture = ultra
    Lighting = high
    Shadow = off
    Effects = low
    Terrain - medium
    Flora = off
    Model = high
    Particles = low

*these are the same settings that I used on a laptop that is 3 years older

Any idea what is causing that stuttering effect?
  2. iPervy

Just to be sure the stuttering effect isn't screen tearing? If you could explain the issue in more detail we may be able to diagnose it better. I'm assuming when the stuttering effect occurs the game itself freezes for a split second as well?

Also gsync is enabled?
  3. Wolfborne

I figured it out and I feel really stupid because of it. I was not paying attention when I plugged everything up, and put the video cable in the motherboard display port instead of the GPU display port. Sigh. :rolleyes:

After swapping that cable around, everything worked great...so much that my GeForce Experience auto selected Ultra/High for all settings and I tried that out. Holy cow! It's an entirely different game now! Although I did turn Flora off because I don't care about shrubs blowing in the wind.

However, I have noticed one thing that I can't figure out regarding the sound: in first person, gunshots get REALLY loud, especially in an ESF. I have updated all drivers, disabled Enhancements from audio control panel, etc. Still researching options on this...
    • Up x 2
  4. iPervy

Haha I'd consider that to be the best case scenario of a fix. Glad you got it worked out. Personally game at 4k at a big butt 32" screen pressed right up to my eye balls maxed settings (minus flora/shadows), and can concur with it's glory. Do wish we could change UI resolution though and FOV a bit further.

As for the audio issue hmm not sure where to go with that. Will say I did suffer a similar problem when I went from 1070 to 1080 and for some odd reason my speakers now have a mid volume buzzing sound when running PS2. I usually play with a headset though, and those works perfectly fine so it hasn't bothered me, but it certainly is a issue that perplexes me.
  5. adamts01

I've had great luck using loudness equalization in enhancements. It makes footsteps and callouts plenty loud without gunshots blowing out your eardrums.
    • Up x 1