"We just want to farm" ..... ********

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zizoubaba, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zizoubaba

Here is some interesting information :

PlanetSide 2 can be a huge, mega huge even, grind. I mean if you want to max out all the skills all the abilities all the directives and all the options for your vehicles your talking A LOT of hours of gameplay.

But you're not actually supposed to do that, only a very limited number of people even care enough to go for hte black camo or whatever.

Once you level your character to, let's say, 90 or 95 even, hell 100 if you want to be picky, then you already have more than enough CERTS to spend on anything and everything you could possibly want. From weapons to vehicles to skills and abilities.

At that point, the game used and still does continue your levling until 120 BR. However most players will switch to ASP system resetting back to 0 and leveling that again.

Once you've done that, you are LIGHT YEARS away from having all the certs you could possibly dream of to spend on whatever you could possibly dream of. Trust me, I've done it a few times already.

So.... what then?

See that's my argument; PS2 is an OLD game, is younger than WOW but compared to all the other MMIOs on teh market, it's easily one of teh oldest out there.

What this means is that many of its players are Veterans, like me I guess. In fact, most low BR you'll see are alts of veteran players.

So if you can farm all you need by BR 100 what the hell is everyone farming? Directives?

I call ********, the farming is a myth, people like to fight for no reason, but if people are to play for more than a short time, they need a reason to fight.
    • Up x 1
  2. Ketenks

Farming is a meta not just a means to gaining certs. People play as if they are farming kills because that is how the game is designed. It's designed as a big kill box with little meaning to why we are killing beyond getting more gear. But even the veterans who don't have anything else to farm still play the game for how many kills they can get. They are still farming kills even if they aren't getting anything out of it because that's all this game is. Why we kill isn't thought about much in this game.
    • Up x 2
  3. Zizoubaba

That may be true, it's not my case, and it makes no sense to me, but I admit you may be right.
  4. FateJH

Fun?
    • Up x 3
  5. Zizoubaba

fun gets old when there's no point in doing what you do..

that's why I sepecified "for more than a short time"
  6. FateJH

If you think there's no point in what you are doing, then stop doing it, and start on some other endeavor. Even with scatterbrained selection, eventually you'll arrive upon something you consider a meaningful action, or you'll prove that you had the wrong venue altogether to satisfy your outlet.
    • Up x 1
  7. Roxxlyy Community Relations

More so than most shooters, PlanetSide 2 is a bit similar to a sandbox-style game - players can decide whether they want to jump into the thick of things with a squad, work on directives, participate in alerts, go for vehicle play, lone wolf it, or, yes, even just farm. Players can choose to do any one of those things, for any reason. The "why" doesn't matter, as long as they're enjoying themselves (and abiding by the Terms of Service, of course ;)).
    • Up x 9
  8. Liewec123

you can't unlock "everything" just because you're high BR, some things can only be unlocked with luck.
    personally i farm partially because its fun when there are 2 big armies in an epic duration base fight,
    but also because i want to hurl 750 certs into the implant toilet,

you're right that i have all of the weapons and attachments and vehicle upgrades that i want,
    but there are always more implants to unlock so the grind is never over.
  9. Talthos

Pfft, I still don't have any Directive weapons, and I started ASP not too long ago.
  10. Zizoubaba

I wasn't and am not asking why, even though you are wrong and it does matter.

(In fact, saying "the why doesn't matter" is pretty close to sacrilegious as far as game design is concerned).

So in the interest of clarity, I'll try and repeat myself in terms that are more simple to understand, I'll also make it stand out a bit so you and maybe others may notice it :

People don't play "to farm", anyone that has a BR level higher than 90-100 doesn't need to farm at all.***

That's a myth and similar to "fake news" could be called "fake motive". If community relations representatives don't care about why players play and believe "it doesn't matter" maybe they should check with the dev team cause it's one of the most important questions anyone working on the game cares about.

*** Except for random drops such as exceptional implants and kill count / KD, and "achievers" who wish to auraxium every weapon in the game.
  11. DarkStarAnubis

Look, what Roxxlyy said is that PS2 is designed as a "sandbox" game. Are you familiar with the concept? It means each player can find his or her motivation and drive to play PS2 and can play it in any way he or she likes

There is no "official" way to play PS2.

So you can play because you want to join a squad/outfit, or play lone wolf, or build bases, or get high KDR, or get a lot of certs, or be a sniper only, or do ghost capping all day long ... Each way is equally good.
  12. Zizoubaba

you are off topic

edit: come to think about it, so was Roxxlyy

@Roxxlyy , especially considering you are community relations person, please keep your posts on topic..

Otherwise I might have to report them!
  13. Twin Suns

Remember when a FPS was about gunplay, competition and camaraderie.

The casuals sure as he// don't. They don't have a clue. Always off on parade somewhere on the other side of the map, grinding for trinkets.

But Pepperidge Farms remembers. ;)

"Badges?!?!...We don't need no stinking badges" - Umberto

o7
  14. TheSunlikeOne

Lvl 40 ASP (after lvl 120) here. Farmed 172 165 certs in my lifetime with my main char and that's not enough to buy everything.
  15. Zizoubaba

It's more than enough for everything "you need", here let me copy paste my first sentence :

That is my FIRST sentence, of my FIRST post.

Well, technically, my second.

Anyway, you get the idea right? It takes a million hours of gameplay to max everything, but you can max everything you need (ie everything you actually use) by 90 easily (that includes getting auraxium weapon for your main class).

If you never ever ever ever fly a Galaxy, and if you never ever ever will, you can still spend the 10k certs (or whatever it was) on it if you want, and that will cost you a lot of game time and that will mean you will be even higher level without having everything.

I'm talking about what you need, maxed abilities for all classes, maxed weapons (for the weapons you use) and vehicles (for the ones you use) + a couple directives if you want too.
  16. Ketenks

Look man you have veteran players saying that even if they have everything they use they can still farm for implants and then there is the never ending loop hole of farming for fun.

Farming is a meta. Farm for K/D forever. I just wish there was a little more tact. Just more incentive to play the objective than it is now but I don't think you can out value getting 40 kills in one life. There just isn't any way to make objective play more valuable than that. So farming will always be a meta down to the last cert.
  17. TheSunlikeOne

I understand what you mean, but the term "everything you need" differs from person to person.
    1) Playing with the same weapon/class/vehicle becomes stale after a while, so certs are needed to unlock new stuff.
    2) Upgrading even one vehicle weapon to its max performance (reload speeds and ext mags upgrades in particular) is very costly as well.
    3) Some weapons and gadgets become obsolete/less competitive after the updates, so you have to switch to new stuff, which isn't free.
    4) Sometimes you feel that you "absolutely need" that final level of your fav. implant (assasin in my case), but you are short on ISO4. Solution? Wait for them to accumulate naturaly, or brute-force your way to it with certs.
    • Up x 1
  18. TR5L4Y3R

fps for a long time was merely about get a bunch of scrubs into a friends house and have a good time ..

competition, carmeradery? this isn´t a military sim ..
  19. TR5L4Y3R

i realy don´t get what your problem is OP

if vets still want to play the game despite having all the stuff then let them
    it´s enough to simply enjoy the gameplayloop ... that´s it, there is no "bigger" or "deeper" reason/meaning behind it or required ..

hey i have an interest in playing PS2 .. why? cause i love to blow shi t up, what more reason do i need?
  20. Roxxlyy Community Relations

I care a lot about why/how people play - they should be playing in any way they're having fun. There's nothing in-game that stops people from playing a certain way because there is no intention to force people into a certain playstyle.

Cheers!
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.