I just did a quick search on suppressors

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ketenks, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Ketenks

AND some stealth capability at the same time...
  2. That_One_Kane_Guy

I'm sorry, I didn't think it was worth mentioning. You've created an artifical choice between an attachment that is very situational and an attachment that is universally beneficial, and pretended you've created balance. This is not impressive.
    That's like pretending it's viable to choose between the Cold Heart implant and literally anything else when not playing as VS.

More importantly than this, attachments are not a requirement. There are reasons to run some over others, and there are even reasons to not run any at all. If you want stealth as a sniper, you use a suppressor. If you want performance, you don't. You are asking for an attachment that gives X% of the performance of a suppressor while at the same time giving a flat bonus over running no attachment at all.
    This. Is. A. Problem.

Oh I'm past spelling it out for you, at this point I may start typing it out in binary.

Also no, the sound occurs along the path of the bullet due to the fact that it is going supersonic. According to the article you linked this makes it very difficult to determine the firing point. So even even though the sound is still quite loud you don't know where it came from.
    • Up x 1
  3. TerminalT6

So this is really about snipers being too easy to spot by their targets. Now we approach a balance issue as to whether current infiltrators and sniper rifles have a balanced evasive potential or not. You have to factor in cloaks, typical fight dynamics as well as rifles themselves. So it might sound like I'm moving the goalposts but I think the issue here is that you don't find sniping in Planetside much fun, though you like the idea of it. And you think the reason is that snipers are too easy to track or evade or outright be killed by their targets.

I disagree with this, but tell me whether I'm correct about this new line of argument or not.
  4. Ketenks

You're the guy who just looks for problems rather than solutions. With the way you go about it, you could disassemble the whole game on account of its balance!

We need to improve and that's why we make changes. We don't toss it out because it isn't balanced otherwise this game is a toss out entirely.

So, you have decided that somehow having 2 suppressors that balance each other out is redundant. And that therefore there is no possibility for this EVER. Well, IF that is true (and I'm only leveling with you to continue my point) and only 1 suppressor is allowed EVER, then that muzzle velocity reduction is too great to be called BALANCED; all by itself, in its own right.

So make it 7%, 10% but don't make it 15% and then it won't be so bad. If you want to make it as situational as it is then you need something else to be situational with it. But if you only have ONE suppressor then it needs to fit more in the MIDDLE than one sided. And that's purely opinion based at this point and we could disagree about that all day long.
  5. Sazukata

Funny, because shortly before you joined they buffed suppressors up to 15% velocity penalty. It used to be 40% along with reigning in the damage fall-off even more than it does now.

Suppressors are extremely viable now. 15% is trivial compared to the massive benefit to stealth. (Not to mention, weapons with access to High Velocity Ammunition can almost entirely negate the penalty of using a suppressor)
    • Up x 1
  6. Thonthong

Just posting this here. I think you can use sensor shield, even at tier 1 (30m)
    • Up x 1
  7. LordKrelas

So... Any new sniper is completely out-matched based on their gun.
    Which they need to straight upgrade, per gun, for a Suppressor, which puts them on a straight equipment advantage over any sniper who didn't get the attachment..
    The end of the day, anyone new, is facing an Equipment disadvantage even on the same gun.

You are now wanting the mini-map to be nerfed, so you can have a higher velocity or regular velocity on top of total stealth.
    If you are at ranges, where you want the velocity, you typically don't need to suffer the suppressor.
    If you are where the Suppressors benefits best, that velocity would completely put you at an hard advantage in every way over any other sniper, with even the same gun, by basis of having the suppressor.

It would be akin to needing Nanoweave on your heavy-assault, but per sniper rifle.
    And it would mean, Sniper rifles work on an straight upgrade system with the barrel attachments, unlike every single other gun or weapon system in the game.

There are many ways to balance a game; There are many exceedingly easy ways to lose the entire point of the game.
    Equipment is sidegrades in PS2 intentionally.
    Nothing priced in certs is a straight upgrade over any other piece of equipment by itself.
    You can't buy a 2.0 Gun that has better values in every stat, nor an attachment that makes it fully superior in every stat over the base model: Everything is a choice, in the environment, No 1-best-option in Ps2 Exists.

There is intentionally no "Supreme Tool" or "Supreme Attachment"
    Were you here for the Canis?

Have you ever played with the Railjack? Phaseshift? Trap? These are ES Sniper rifles.
    How about the majority of Sniper rifles?
    What Snipers have you played, what field did you fight in?
    You call yourself new, and that we are blind; However you're not familiar with the bloody suppressor itself.
    And are focused on making it a required-universal-attachment
    -- The big picture, how will it affect new & old players, and the entire sniper combat?
    If all them are dead silent, have their perfect velocity, then it's a "Have your cake & eat it too"

A sniper at long-range, like outside the range of detection, does not need their suppressor in this.
    As we aren't in a match, we can be miles from target.
    If velocity is that important, take it off, and risk detection if anyone isn't at that far distance.
    If stealth is important, adjust for the minor velocity loss.
    If you did not, then your attachment flies in the face of every other attachment on every other gun, and makes the baseline model entirely inferior.

Which by the way, if the attachment costed 1k certs equal to the rifle..
    Every new player would be down 1k certs if not 2k certs, and be out-classed on an equipment level, if they tried sniping.
    NC would be down 1k, unless they picked a different sniper rifle (we have lots you know, with different ranges, velocity)
    TR & VS would need a bolt, so they're 2k down the hole.

Which means they need to farm, avoid objectives, or similar.
    As objective payout isn't much, Alerts are situational at best for points, and they're new players;
    The opponent already has the skill advantage with their sniper, and suit slot advancements.
    If their equipment is also just straight superior, then new players are only Fodder in all ways, which is wrong in this.

Suppressors, in short, aren't small.
    They aren't also designed to be the every-single-engagement-perfect-choice.
    Nor are they meant to be an equipment upgrade, that puts the player over other snipers based on equipment not their capabilities.
    And it would put, if it had your cost, new players 1-2k certs in the hole, to compete.
  8. Ketenks

And then we have another guy posting the exact opposite here:
    So which is it guys? Obviously this proves my point. You are happy for the 15% because you were unhappy with the 40. But I'm unhappy with the 15% because it's still not low enough as a single attachment. If you don't want to reduce the 15% then make another suppressor to mimic supersonic rounds as I posted previously and you will make the game more balanced.
    You can think of it in this way because of the tug of war between these two elements but it isn't the case here. I would rather have a suppressor that had full muzzle velocity with less stealth than one with full stealth and less muzzle velocity. That means my priority is muzzle velocity but I'd still like to have some suppression. And this is how it works in real life with sub vs super ammo.
  9. TerminalT6

Having more options doesn't make something more balanced.

Also I'm not saying the opposite of Sazukata. Current suppressors are good because you can snipe from anywhere without detection. Your mid-point suppressor is bad because it removes the downsides of the suppressor while adding an irrelevant downside. Either you're in minimap range or you're not. If you are, your mid-point suppressor is identical to no suppressor. If you're not, it's a straight upgrade. Overall, it's a straight upgrade. Since range is the issue, I'd point out that we have different guns to account for that. You don't need an attachment for every possible range you're shooting at.
    • Up x 1
  10. Ketenks

Ehrm, having these options does. So what is your point?
  11. TerminalT6

Everyone's point is that these options DON'T. And you're using the idea that more attachments = balance to justify having your new attachment.
    • Up x 1
  12. Ketenks

No. I've said specifically a single way in which you could have a suppressor with none or less muzzle velocity drop off by balancing it with how much stealth you receive from the minimap. This is math at this point. This isn't whether or not that is balanced. That is balance. You just now have to balance it with math. Anyone can say whatever they want or think. The balance is there. You just have to find it now.
  13. TerminalT6

Your attachment just allows you to snipe from closer ranges without penalty. Sniping isn't meant to be easy, because you have all the benefits of range, cloak, and OHK potential. You have so many tools at your disposal to avoid enemies after you take your shot.
    Here's the effects of sniping 1) without a suppressor, 2) with a suppressor, 3) and with your suppressor.

1) You fire at such range that you are hard to pick out in a large fight, and in a small fight you have such a range advantage that only another sniper can lethally retaliate. The enemy has an easy time seeing where you are, but a hard time doing anything about it. You can cloak and not even render on your target's screen.

2) With reduced muzzle velocity, you can continue to try and snipe at range but it will be more difficult. This draws you into a range where your targets have an easier time threatening you. However, flanking is way more viable because you can get closer without giving away your position immediately. If you're found, you can still cloak and maneuver.

3) Sniping at range is just as easy as 1), but you can get closer according to the balance of the suppressor, making it easier with all the benefits of 2) and none of the downsides. You can do all this while being extremely difficult to find, at a range extremely difficult to reach, with all the other evasive tools of the infiltrator. This is the imbalance.
    • Up x 1
  14. LordKrelas

Two Suppressors, so the weapon is never not suppressed.
    One has a velocity cost & perfect silence, the other has no velocity cost & practical silence.

The 2nd is so universal, that it makes the 1st completely useless.
    As it has stealth advantages, so very high advantages, on top of no velocity loss.
    So it can be used at the farthest range, and the closest ranges, without any decrease in full function without any additional effort.
    The 1st suppressor however, is best at closer-ranges to make use of the Suppression, due to the velocity loss.'

So the 2nd completely upgrades the weapon, unless you're a CQC Bolter.
    Making the only use of the 1st Suppressor, when engaging in Short-range with a Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle.
    Ensuring all long-range combat is dead-silent, full-velocity, non-faction-audio on top, unless the sniper rifle is new.
    Which basically begs the question of: If it's that universal, that dead-set-required, why isn't it built-in.

It'd be like choosing between a normal Laser sight, and an advanced Laser sight, that had an added bonus of extra RPM.
  15. Ketenks

Guys, if the suppressor does not have full stealth capability what does that mean? That means everyone at 50m from you will see you on the minimap as though you did not have a suppressor at all. That means that you will NOT be able to engage effectively at close range with a sniper. Too close for you? Make it 75m. No, make it 100m. That means you have to snipe 100+m out from ALL targets to effectively use the suppressor with supersonic ammunition.

That is balanced. That is situational just like the original suppressor but in the opposite direction.
  16. TerminalT6

I know it's been the focus, but a suppressor is more than minimap presence. Accurately plinking heads from 200m with an unsuppressed rifle is not that annoying because both targets and observers quickly learn to avoid/evade you. Doing the same with a suppressed rifle, something that's very hard to do with the current suppressors, but just as easy with yours, would be a terrible experience for the targets. You can already cloak, you don't need that advantage.

Also, neither of us mentioned specific ranges so idk what you're getting at.
    • Up x 1
  17. LordKrelas

For long-range combat, that velocity of your 2nd Suppressor, means that it's straight superior.
    At Closer-Ranges, the velocity-loss is finally not notable, meaning unless you're in their face, the 2nd Suppressor without velocity is loss is the only Suppressor worth a damn.
    And since it has no velocity loss, it means you can effective engage at any range with full stealth, unless Bolting them in the face - But even then, you have more tactical options than the original Suppressor.
    As no velocity loss.

Put this on a Phase-shift, which is a drop-less bolt-action & semi-auto sniper rifle of the VS.
    Now you have a decent velocity, which where the suppressor normally wouldn't be noticed, is basically hitscan.
    The weapon's near-instant hit range is also now expanded, with full practical stealth.

The Railjack, the NC sniper rifle, at all ranges, the velocity-reducing Suppressor is near worthless.

For the Trap, the TR ES sniper, the mini-map 'cost', at CQC-Range is also not a problem.
    As then you keep velocity, and at further ranges, have the full effect of the Suppressor on top.

For all Bolt-Actions, the Suppressor without Velocity loss, ensures the full range, and full advantage without a price.
    This also means, reduced need for skill to maintain range while having full stealth advantage, with any sniper rifle, with this suppressor.

At Close-Quarters, only then, would the Suppressor with Velocity loss be worth a damn.
    And that means, you're basically a Bolter, IE someone who point-blank snipes.
    As at sniping ranges, the velocity loss is more of a cost than any detection radius.

As well, the mini-map cost, isn't impacting weapon effectiveness.
    It only impacts detection of your general position on the mini-map, while being dead-silent.
    Considering we have cloaking technology, and Sensor-shield, that is the easiest cost to completely ignore in the game.
    As your effective range is increased hard, when the velocity isn't touched.
    And unlike the mini-map detection, Velocity doesn't have any Implant or Ability that counters it.
    Velocity takes skill to overcome.
  18. Ketenks

Yeah that about sums it up. But there is the necessity of changing the current suppressor because it is doing stuff more than you would expect. 15% velocity reduction doesn't seem like a lot but it's totally noticeable even at 50 meters! Even at 50 meters I have to lead the shot considerably with a 550m/s rifle. But at 100 meters with the blackhand I can hit them easier.

That right there is a problem. That's not what suppressors are for. Suppressors honestly shouldn't ever remove you completely from the minimap to begin with. The original suppressor should be something that is much closer to 0 velocity reduction and something much closer to partial stealth rather than complete stealth. And there should be two to represent the two extremes. But if it has to be one, then make it 5% velocity reduction and reduce the stealth as well. Don't make it complete stealth.
  19. adamts01

Why do you want to nerf stealth? We finally got decent suppressors after years of no one using them.
  20. Ketenks

I said why a lot.