Halloween V frustrations

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ge0mancer, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Clipped!

Aye, the ectoblaster needs a buff and the Necromancer and the Toil/Trouble requirements on all tiers need to be reduced by a quarter at least. The amount of time needed to get ether is insane. Also, you should be able to get T&T progress with an ammo sundy, but can't despite the description for it saying "resupply exp". I mean come on, it's resupplying vehicles, that should count too!
  2. Ge0mancer

Okay. I've finished Toil and Trouble, found the Pumpking, and ridden around in a vehicle until Witching Hour finished.

I have 88 revives, and 21 savior kills. Halloween Hunter isn't worth looking at it's just depressing. My current plan is to keep spamming the Revive Grenades and shooting people hoping for Savior Kills. Barring major bad luck I should be able to finish the event before the new deadline.

This puts me in a slightly odd position. The even was doable with a full month even for a Grape like me. It forced me to dump my Certs in places other than where I might have otherwise but for the most part I can't really complain about having access to the stuff I've gotten. Could I have done it without the Double XP week and Quad XP day? Maybe?

It might have been nice if the Event had a few more ways to complete each tier with each section being a little easier but the overall difficulty being about the same. If done properly that wouldn't have generated the massive over population of Medics and Engineers which made those directives feel so grindy (and at times futile.)

For that matter, if Halloween Hunter would just count Headshot Kills of players wearing a Mask (regardless of weapon used) while you are also wearing a Mask, it would seem far less insurmountable. Kills with an event weapon could still count regardless.
    • Up x 1
  3. Nintyuk

I still think the big pumpkin is a myth, I've been playing since they first showed up in the first halloween event and still have never seen one myself even when actively hunting pumpkins.
  4. Ge0mancer

Wow... and I thought I had bad luck. I've found three or four of them.
  5. Clipped!

I've found about fifteen pumpkins, some by sheer luck while in a tank, but no Galact-o-lanterns. What do the GoL's even look like? Just really big pumpkins?
  6. SmittyJensen

I didn't see a single one last year. This year I've found two. Both on esamir and both in roughly the same area (or at least around the same base in the south). Yes they look like really big pumpkins. The face glows too.
  7. SmittyJensen

Btw, DBG, if you are both reading and seriously considering what we say -- Halloween is still a heavy grind. And heavy grinds are unfun. Especially for holiday events. Please correct the issue for the Winter one. Summer one was fun and fairly easy. Halloween is a terrible, burnout inducing grind. :(
  8. AtckAtck

I seriously don't know where your problem is. First day of the Event i made it up to last stage, then 2 days later i was done...
    3 days, thats all it took. OK, those where marathon gaming sessions, granted. But if i can do it in 3 days, then you can do it several weeks.

Same goes for the pumpkins, i started the event with about 1k seeds left from last year. I bought myself 3 pieces for 2500 each, so i made around 6500 seeds this year. Granted, i did exessive pumpkin searching, but i found around 30 big pumpkins along the way.
    So they are not that rare. But if you think you will be able to play normally and complete the directive and get big time pumpkin seeds along the way, then you are just deluded.

You guys are just crying because you have no bite and think everything should be easy and for everyone to achieve.
    This is not the case, if you want something you have to devote yourself to it.
  9. Pacster3

The question is: Is it fun? Does it promote something fun? Or is at least the reward that fun that you can forgive the grind? A carrot on a stick only works as long as the donkey doesn't notice that it's a carrot on a stick. If you promote stuff that is not fun then players will possibly still do it...but they will feel like they have to do it and they will not make a difference between that choir and the normal gameplay. It is the gameplay for them at that moment and they are being worn out.
    And seriously...3500 seeds(which means around 6-7h ESF-pumkin search with 2 active res-boosters during off-peek hours on Esamir. Under different, less optimal circumstances you can easily double the time needed.) for a horn for a SINGLE vehicle? That's a crazy grind for the reward.
  10. AtckAtck

No, for those that complain here it probably isn't fun. Obviously...
    But the problem is not that it is grindy or not doable, it is an attitude problem that i see in many fellow players quite often.
    (especially when they are younger)
    They are crying about how hard and long everything takes, always wanting stuff easy and then getting bored fast over it.
    If it takes effort, it will not be done.
    I am done of arguing with these kind of players why "getting through the grind" is a rewarding feeling, they just don't understand it.

I did not use any boosters and i did not farm half a day in one setting. All i did was set myself a daily goal of 250 seeds, sometimes 500 and then everytime i did not find a fight that i found worthwhile i went looking for pumpkins.
    I had my special farming route, to cover all the usual spawning points.
    When i got bored, about 1-2 hours later, i did something else again.
  11. SmittyJensen

You answered it for me though.. it isn't fun. And it is a grind. And the mindset should never be to have to truly grind it out to get it.

With the extension I *might* make it. Without it I would never have.. not even close. In another, highly successful(popular and lucrative), game I used to spend time on the holiday events were easy enough for even most casual players to obtain. I feel that is how this game's holiday events should be too. And right now it isn't even close to being there.

You made a few assumptions that were incorrect. I'm knocking on 40, I have a full time job. Thus I don't have time nor the inclination to marathon run as you have. This is for entertainment.. it isn't my job or my life and I'd rather keep it that way. Yet I have spent probably around 2-3 hours a day, every day, in the game for this event and I'm only around a third of the way into the final stage at this point (on Halloween Day)!

The Summer event I knocked out in a week, the requirements were much simpler. But this Halloween one seems to always be a drudge.

Congrats for you completing it, perhaps you're a more skilled player. But that doesn't mean you should knock those that have difficulty with the events just because you do not have the same issue.
  12. Trigga

Agree, the event requirements are boring, the ecto gun is boring, the lightning gun reward is a boring reskin.
    All in all its a pretty meh event tbh.
    The only reason i want to get that lightning gun is for future 'hallow hunter' directive requirements, can presumably use that rather than crappy pistols or knives.

TBH no skill is required for the halloween event, the fact some1 gets it quickly means they found a good spot for either revives or engineer resupply XP.
    Also the 'hallow hunter' part could be quickly gotten at the start due to a bug where you could stab your own deployables to get credit, shoot 400 motion spotter darts, get 400 hallow kills.
    Most people who had it quickly did this.
    Its why i find it funny when they say it wasnt a grind, killing your own equipment over 600 times is defo a grind lol.
    Personally i didnt do hallow hunter as it seemed like a grind, instead choosing witching hour, engi ammo, galactic pumpkin, and saviour.
    The saviours, witching hour, and pumpkin i got during normal gameplay, the engineer is the only one left, 2500 is indeed a grind, especially when other 'engineers' kill your ammo pack to place theirs....
    • Up x 1
  13. Nintyuk

I managed to find one! It was half clipped in to a rock inside the entrance to the north west satilite of Yimir biolab. I found it and I logged out soon after as TR was being extra oppressive on Miller that evening.
  14. Trigga

[IMG]
  15. Jbeasty

Lol, reading that OP I just realized why I have been murdering these giant cluster****s of battle nurses the past week. I think I aurax'd my nyx (my new favorite suppressed weapon) in record time. I didn't even realize it happened when it did.

Really though, the medics would come running from so far only to just pile up dead. Was literally like killing ants.
  16. saronyogg

Get use to it.
    They are making each event different from last year, which its a shame, since i was expecting to have another chance to get the auraxium slasher.
  17. Clipped!

I should also mentioned that the Slasher also counted toward hallow progress as it is a Halloween weapon, but it did need to be bought for 1k certs (normal weapon price), and getting kills with it is only somewhat easier than the Ectoblaster as HA as if you went full on knife-zerker as Infil or a HA with upgraded mobility mesh. And speaking of knife-zerking, you know how the Ripper (TR) and the Carver (NC) play a sound while they're activated that lets you know when they're nearby? I've been killed by VS Infil Knife-zerkers using Lumine Edge (VS) more times than I can count and I've never once heard it have an audio tell like the other factions' "cheeseblades". That needs to changed so that it also has a sound tell, along with the desperately needed Vulcan nerf.
  18. Ge0mancer

My intent was not to complain so much as to try and figure out if I was just doing something wrong as this is the first Event I've been involved in. The answer was to get Revive grenades and grenade belt. Okay. That will be useful later. No problem. I think it would have been nice to spread the requirements out to lessen competition but over all it was doable. I'd even go so far as to say it was fun, though my interest in playing since it ended is s bit muted.

On a separate note I'm glad to hear the seeds carry over though I wish I had known that before buying something I didn't really want just to spend the seeds. Ah well. Live and learn.