[Suggestion] Suppressors for semi-auto shotguns

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberNoob1337101, Sep 29, 2018.

1. UberNoob1337101

Quick stat comparison between different shotguns

I find that semi-auto shotguns are literally almost never used by experienced players, and it's pretty clear to see why :
    In comparison, full auto shotguns have :
    - more damage per pellet up to 10m
    - faster RoF and full auto
    - literally identical stats everywhere else, a bit more pellet spread.

Pump actions have :
    - Way more damage per shot, OHK capability
    - More pellets, so even if it doesn't kill it does tons of damage
    - Max damage until 5-8m

The Baron is the best slugged shotgun in-game, and is more consistent (less damage, but extra pellet and better moving ADS CoF and pellet spread) and accurate than all others. Not my favorite, but it has it's place.

But hey guys, semi-auto shotguns deal marginally more damage at 14m+! What a great advantage, right?
    My point being, other shotguns win where it matters, and really quickly and effectively, while semi-autos are bad at every range.

So how about a suppressor attachment? Saiga 12 and Vepr-12 have them IRL and they're pretty compact, other shotguns have them as well but they're absolutely huge. It would give players at least one reason to pick a semi-auto shotgun.
  2. Gustavo M

"Hey, guys!Shotguns are rather decent. So how about if we make it even more annoying for the receiving end?"
    • Up x 1
  3. UberNoob1337101

Uh, I said semi-auto shotgun only? And if you see the stats, they are 3-shot kills with Nanoweave and with not that great RoF and DPS?

I didn't suggest this for full-auto and pump-action shotguns because they're the murder machines, but non-Baron semi-autos need something to be good at. I think a suppressor would give them a niche.

Edit : Sorry for a confusing answer, didn't really format the posts well or explain well why I'd want to see suppressors for semi-auto shotguns only.
  4. Gustavo M

"Haha, I didn't reeeeally meant that! Just look at the stats again!"
    You seem confused, friend.
  5. Campagne

I wouldn't be totally against it I think.

I agree that there is no reason to ever use a semi-auto over a pump or full-auto shotgun. I think they could possibly be a bit too good with suppressors though.
  6. Demigan

What about giving them versatility instead?

Auto-shotty=ROF, mid-range Alpha(for shotguns)OHK potential on a full headshot (practically impossible unless you almost clip the person) and ease of use.
    Pump-action=high alpha, OHK potential on bodyshots
    Semi-auto's=worse than either but has the ammo capaciry and versatility.

How to make them versatile? I would simply make them switch to slugs when going ADS and back to buckshot when not ADS, that should be more than enough of an edge to even out the lowered stats compared to the other shotgun versions. Or we could delve into the world of shotgun ammo, from dragonbreath to those bola's to various solid slug options.
    • Up x 1
  7. Valenz

Wow, it really took this long for people to realize how awful semi auto shotguns became.
    • Up x 1