[Suggestion] Air Strike Designator

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BurntCucumber, Sep 24, 2018.

1. BurntCucumber

While I was playing the other day, I got pinned down in a base, and caught myself thinking about how useful a "Target Designator" tool would be. It's primary purpose would be to make air support for infantry somewhat more streamlined. Here's the basics of my idea (although I haven't been on the forums long, so I know I'm by no means the first person to think this up), after a bit of thought:
    • Available to fireteam leaders, squad leaders, and platoon leaders through leadership certs
    • Can be used to "paint" enemy armor, or designate a specific location without having to open the map screen
    • When "Painted", an enemy vehicle would have a beacon placed on the vehicle itself, not just its location. This beacon would only be visible to platoon members within aircraft or ground vehicles.
    • same rules apply for marks on ground
    • Maximum of 5 designated targets per platoon, one per squad, plus one platoon wide.
    • A recharge time for individual players before being able to mark a second target
    • an alert for the drivers of vehicles who have been marked
    • a "Lock on time" of sorts
    I am sure that there are many ways this could be improved upon, so I am certainly happy to see and take part in any discussion stemming from this idea. (Constructive criticism appreciated)
  2. OldYetNewNoob

IMO, make it a side-use for the Infiltrators Sensor Dart:
    Direct hits on vehicles also causes them to become outlined in the HUD for any nearby allies (all allies, not restricted to platoon/squad, will get the dime a dozen instant-action players a target to focus). if there's one thing that would help me locate targets (and not be too obtrusive on screen), it would be a faction specific outline/glow of the vehicle.
    • Up x 1
  3. adamts01

I think this could be a cool way to differentiate between the Bulldog and Fury. Let the Bulldog function as a mortar, more or less, which can target designations by infantry.
    • Up x 1
  4. BurntCucumber

I definitely agree that a tool like this would allow for an interesting way to incorporate indirect fire styled weapons into the game
  5. iller

Beacons / SmokeSignals are pretty useless in their current forms and I don't think that the Coder nor the Dev is actually willing to make them actually visible to every applicable Air Unit in the Hex like they should.