[Suggestion] Death streak rewards?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vulpecula07, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Vulpecula07

I've been thinking how we can mitigate frustration.

Maybe we can add COD's death streak rewards?
    For example:
    • Dying 3 times will give you an overshield until you achieve one kill...
    • Dying to one player 3 or 4 times will increase your damage to this player until you kill him once (kind of like "getting to know your killer's weakness")
    • Dying 4 times will automatically drop a grenade / trigger a blast of EMP (maybe affect enemies only)...
    • Dying 5 times will drop a mine...
    • Dying 6 times will drop a C4 and immediately explode...
    The numbers need to be balanced. I'm not sure if this can be abused, as abusing death streak can be very inefficient.

There are times you just can't win, because the other side is outright better. This game does not match players by their performance. New players, players who play 4, 5 hours per week have to compete with guys who play every day and managed to achieve ASP BR 100 in a few months. So from time to time when you encounter these guys you lose 9 out of 10 times.

Games should reward practice, but a game is a game, you don't play it for frustration.

PS. This suggestion is not in my own favour as I kind of play this game like a surviving game, although I don't see myself as a good player, I achieve a lot of kill streaks.
  2. Doc Jim

This game has no killstreak abilities, so there really shouldn't be any deathstreak abilities either...
    • Up x 2
  3. Lee Weldon

I imagine more frustration over all these random mines and such. A new person kills another new person gets their first kill only to be blown up. Imagine the salt.
    • Up x 2
  4. That_One_Kane_Guy

Of all of the design inspirations we could take, lets not take the ones that were bad even in COD.
    • Up x 3
  5. LaSouris

Here's an idea of a reward for dying lots.

You can stop and look at how you died, and maybe decide doing it a 7th time in a row is a bad idea.
    • Up x 2
  6. Blam320

This will be abused and you know it. Terrible suggestion.
  7. Vulpecula07

I don't know it, and you didn't give any reason why this is terrible.
  8. LordKrelas

Imagine if you just simply suicide against an enemy(ies) 6 times.
    Now you have a C-4, that will empty a room of hostiles if they kill you;
    Now imagine being a Max, and killing an infantry unit that is endless running into you without thought
    - You're now dead, as is everyone near you, since that target had died 6 times prior.

With the over-shield, this banzai charge, will also be harder to stop before they're in range for their death explosion to wipe out any infantry target, or Max, and their entire support team.
    Even by itself, you basically just provided the means to supercharge the first attack of a squad; Let alone if it works on Maxes.
    Let alone just suicide charging into enemies, would enhance your ability to kill them, like say C-4 Fairies;
    Enough deaths, and they will make it to the target alive by this system.

Let alone that an explosive with IFF , would be abused by repeated deaths on purpose, to essentially endless charge into the enemy, either killing them, draining shields, weakening them, or dying until that happens without firing a shot.

Not to mention, this rewards literally just endlessly slogging at targets without care to gain Buffs.
    So rather than play better, or use tactics, they'd just die intentionally or by ramming their head into a wall till the game rewards them.
    And for anyone doing well; You now have buffed your opponent, so they can kill you, by killing them.
    For Maxes; Let alone NC Maxes, every single enemy you kill, in the range you have to kill them, can Explode instantly, regardless if you kill them faster than they could pull a trigger - Ensuring the maxes' death.

Let alone just dropping AOE or straight buffs onto people who's only achievement is death.
    Let alone if Friendly fire could do it; They'd have a free C-4 that if stopped from using C-4, would C-4 for them anyway.
    And if it's IFF equiped, that's a Free C-4, that can't be blocked by anything... and would be hard-abused by squads', leading the way with a Group of exploding meat-shields.
  9. Pelojian

adding CODdling features to ps2 is a bad idea all round.

there is no reward for getting killstreaks so there is no reason to reward dying.

failure is a part of a war game, if the enemy outplays you and they took precautions to counter strategies you can devise then they won fairly, giving people rewards for playing badly due to lack of skill or intentionally playing badly will not help the game, people will low skill will not be encouraged to get better and good players will make new accounts just to buff themselves to kill people without hurting their precious K/D.

if i'm driving around killing infantry that are trying to close range attack me with explosives, why should some dummy running, in the open as a non-LA rambo style trying to C4 me with no sneakiness, get buffed for dying multiple times due to incompetence? or someone rushing into a doorway multiple times and dying that is being covered by a organize squad?

planetside 2 is a harsher game then most shooters, i'd call it the dark souls of shooters TBH. you don't live long, then you die. if you can't take dying alot or actually learning from your mistakes/trying to get better you don't belong here.