Purpose of disconnecting for AFK

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lee Weldon, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Lee Weldon

I am just curious what this purpose is, from what I can tell even when I've recieved the "You have been disconnected message" I still get live data feed, can still hear my squad speaking. Does this save the server any bandwidth, or am I just reduced one planetman for my faction, does that even come into effect. I think this function is not really working as intended.
  2. Doc Jim

I don't mind getting disconnected for being AFK, but I really resent this disconnect shutting down my client. I would very much prefer getting set to the character selection...
    • Up x 1
  3. Demigan

The purpose is to give other players who want to play a chance to play and make sure you aren't holding a slot while inactive. The fact that they might not have made AFK work properly has nothing to do with it.
    • Up x 3
  4. LtBomber

Hey,
    actualy, i do not excatly know if "kicking" opens a slot on said continent, as you recive still all the data. There is also a kicking time out in the character selection, that may be the reason for beeing send to desktop.
    Note: One can type "/afk" in chat to set the player in afk state. While i think there were some limitations (no cert/narnite), it allows you to go afk for longer (still limited) without beeing removed.
    • Up x 1
  5. Diilicious

it doesnt actually kick you from the game until you press okay from the message box that appears, its really stupid because by then you are obviously back.. lol, ive been AFK for hours sometimes when I have to tend to things IRL in a hurry, and then when i come back you can clearly see that the fight has moved from where you were, and can even see bases being capped. then you press okay to the box and then you're on the desktop lol
    • Up x 1
  6. Prudentia

fun fact: the continent switch prompt and the AFK prompt use the same code, so when you have the continent switch prompt open it literally can't kick you for being afk as it can't open a new prompt to make you leave the game.
  7. rsonny

it would be better to just throw it on the desktop than use the resources of my PC