New maps? Strategy?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Desann, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Desann

I don't want to come of negative here, but when can we expect some new maps for this game?

PS1 Vet here scratching my head. The first game, and a better overall game, had almost a dozen planets with caves "asteroids" linking those planets.

Now I understand PS1 had many years to develop, but this game has had the same 4 maps for a long time. When will we have more maps, varying terrains to fight on ie volcanos and when will this game have an overal lattice strategy beyond going to the next big base?

The dev team did a good job making a new engine that supports MMO FPS. You all did well creating a system that factors physics, graphics, shading and all of the latest video game tech.

My problem is that many PLANETSIDE elements are still missing.

Things that need to change with PS2:

More factional diversity: empire specific buggies, atvs, weapon options on NS vehicles

More maps: self explanitory

Ability to upgrade base defenses: ceert specs for better turrets, walls, doors, shielding, etc.

Cave systems: this should be popular with all of the shooter players, not so much MMO players. Create interlinking caves for more lattice attack lanes and infantry only (difficult for vehicle) battlegrounds. Currently you only really have biolabs and a few bases on amerish that are cave like.

Im trying to offer constructive ideas to get this game where it should have been years ago.
  2. OldMaster80

Ps1 and ps2 are different games from many points of view.

But the biggest difference is strategy does not exist in ps2. The massive presence of redeploy and teleport opportunities make positioning, coordination and timing less relevant. There is no way to affect the enemies ability to spam force multipliers, and no incentive to fight where faction actually needs reinforcements. It's the opposite: at the first signal of enemy resistance it is more efficient to redeploy and move to a lane where to take advantage of numerical superiority.

As long as the game rewards players to give up new maps won't change a thing, ps2 will always remain a brainless meatgrinder where farming come first, and all the rest is unnecessary, not relevant or utterly useless.
  3. Pikachu

I'm pretty sure the devs abandoned map making shortly after Hossin's release. Seeing how everyone just want to play on Indar and there aren't enough players to make use of any map lattice and maps makes no money. There were props for Searhus in the files as early as spring 2013 yet devs no mention of it.

Models, physics and cosmetics for ES buggies were finished somewhere in 2014 yet no hint that they are coming. I think vehicles give too little money and takes too much effort to balance. Harsssers and valkyrie has been ridden with balance issues since they arrived.
  4. Desann

I just joined psforever discord. Again, planetside 2 is a good shooter, not so much a second planetside game. The lack of depth bothers me.
  5. Crowne

Unfortunately it sometimes seems like the people who insist on staying are rewarding the farming overpops though.
    Kinda seems like it would be better to cede the foregone conclusion and take the time to dig in at the next base. Set traps, etc.

Definitely is awesome when we hold out long enough for cavalry gals to swoop in with reinforcements, but just as often we wind up getting caught flat footed at the next base instead.
  6. OneShadowWarrior

Actually the original maps of Planetside are all there for Daybreak, Cyssor, Searhus, Solsar to name a few.

I posted about this awhile back but the gaming community shot it down saying present maps need more work.

All of these maps were done by SOE. I truly wish DB would take a crack at it, because they have done a better job with weapons alone.
  7. Demigan

New maps is a bad idea. It sucks up resources and only spreads people's desires on what map they want to play. You really want a second Hossin which most people hate? Do you really want people to start hating current maps simply because they want to play on another map but have to wait because the maps cycle slowly through your ever expanding library of maps?

You are better off adding variety and changing tactics and strategy. Think the possibility of relocating the warpgates so other bases become focal points and people see more different bases. The new anomaly alert is a step in the right direction and they are going to add more. The bases they turned into PMB sites are also a good start.

They could do more. Small-scale construction for inside bases, a small measure of logistics for permanent bases. Reducing redeploy capabilities and making PMB's logistical bases that can teleport troops and vehicles to PMB's nearby so players control the overall tactical capabilities of their team. For when a continent unlocks or players just joined the continent a few free redeploys are given to get to the action. Theres a ton more things they could do.
    • Up x 1
  8. Dakka43

How about the star ships in the sky.. WHY are they full textured.. ?!?!?!

Like if you shoot one down it has everything above it full textured even though we never get too see it.

Try it it has everything from a spawn tube base to a vehicle pad for air, like what was the point if it will never really be seen ?
  9. FateJH

If you mean the Bastion carrier, that's because it was already made like that when the devs unearthed the model from the files and it would be more work to selectively unmake it.
  10. Sir Sovereign

is it wrong to want a PVE map/server? Somewhere to earn points, fight together, but fight against crazy hordes of anything other than eachother and capture points?