OS killing players INSIDE bases

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Traveller, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Traveller

This new 'feature', is perhaps, might have sounded good on paper, but, I don't think it was either tested, or if they even bothered to ask anyone if this idea, conceptionally, was very sound.

What is the 'point' of being inside an armored, protected and shielded base, if you can be easily killed by an OS in the manner you can now? What is the point of building a base, or being inside one, if it offers no protection against this? What are bases made out of, particle board and aluminum siding?

Now I can FULLY get behind an OS killing you at a base, if you are in, a turret, or vehicle, or running around OUTSIDE the base itself . That does make sense. But INSIDE, what are, after all, hardened structures?. No

I wont speak to coding involved for such a thing, but, the idea as currently implemented, is likely creating a lot ill feeling and anger among some players based on what I have heard in game. And it is justified to feel this way.

I think this untested notion, flimsy and poorly conceived as it was, should be looked at again.
    • Up x 2
  2. Xebov

I think its a good idea to test it live to see what realy happens. So far im annoyed as its simply not fun to be in a base that gets hit by several OS within several minutes and when i looked at the minimap there was alot of teamkilling involved.

I question the existance of OS itself. I think it should be completely removed from the game. The new base items show that we can get specialized support canons that target tanks and possibly infantry. So the question is, why do we need a giant fly flap that destroyes everything by pointing at the general position when we also can have atatcks that require a bit more targeting?
  3. Dakka43

It's more than fine for what it does which is break up base fights.... YOU GET more than enough time to get away from it you could be standing in the middle of the circle and still be able to get away from it before it hits.. I have tested it and seen people stand right in it if you're one of those people I feel sorry that you're unable to pay attention to the mini-map though in that case if you do stand there I think its fair you deserve to be blasted.

Also if you are near any open door ways or windows the blast will bleed through that which will kill you though I have also noticed the friendly spawn shields seem to do the same which I don't think was intended. Its just like with a storm drill you must hug those walls.....
    • Up x 1
  4. dreyone

Long story short, some guy (Epstein) took over the company after they gutted it of all of its best people, (Smedley, Higby, etc) and replaced them with people like Wrel who systematically ruined the game from 2015 onwards. Its just been a neverending barrage of fail ever since. R.I.P. planetside 2. IDK if Smedley could even save it now
  5. Demigan

First, the OS gives more than plenty of warning that its comming. Theres a voice warning, an icon on the map and anyone in the zone gets a fuzzy weird lighting and small damage indicators before the strike. So any complaints about it being too sudden are wrong.

Second, I think they misjudged how the OS would work.
    They specifically mention they let infantry inside buildings survive the hit (I get EMP assists after one so rathet than 1HP left I think they are all EMP'd), but they also let the OS throw infantry around. Those that dont smack into walls and die are often thrown high enough to die on impact. I respawned just after a spawnwbunker wad hit, and everyone was dead. I also fired OS's onto pointrooms and killed everyone inside.

As a sidenote, I did a full hit on 2 ESF (they flew into the zone as it fired) and both survived burning (and immediately survived my ANT Walker because firesuppression). Kind of strange to see vehicles especially ESF out in the open survive a practically direct hit.
    • Up x 1
  6. Xebov

Thats a nice joke.
    Smedley was the CEO. In the first years of PS2 players complained over the slow developement speed while they had abos and wondered if there was a lack of funds. It turned out that Smedley directed most of the funds to projects like Everquest Next that later failed. When ppl complained about it he told them that he doesnt care since he is in charge, leading to a reduction in player abos. So most of the game is the way it is now because this guy directed alot of the founds to other projects and stalled the developement with it.
    Higby was the Creative Director. He was a notorious solo K/D player without an outfit. He's the reason we got stuff like the Directives and got the game slowly turned from a team experiance into a solo shooter. Hes the reason why teamwork is badly rewarded XP wise and why Bases and the Air/Ground game are the way they are now.

So to make it clear, you might not like Wrel or any other of the new Devs, but they marely work with the limited funds they have on the foundation the other ppl layed out for years. If i look at developement now i see alot more stuff going on than we had in the late days of Higby and Smedley.
    • Up x 2
  7. Crowne

As for the actual topic... the change is still recent. Some may rage quit in the process, but nothing is to say they won't be back when they calm down.
    One thing is sure in Planetside, you're going to die.
    I do think there should be more penalty to teamkilling with orbital strike. Just from a strategic standpoint, there should be serious consequences to wiping out your own people wholesale.

I can't agree with that assessment. I'm sure Higby and Smedley are fine folks, but I often questioned their capabilities when they were at the helm.
    Higby seemed to lack the maturity for a lead position. It's all fun and games, but the work itself is not.
    Smedley already had an abysmal track record coming in from SWG. I don't think he at all deserved the personal ire he received, but professionally he seemed to have a history of dubious decisions.
    Hope they are happy and doing well wherever they wound up, but there's no doubt I wouldn't be back and paying membership if they were still driving development.
    • Up x 2
  8. HippoCryties

Ahh you shouldn’t even bother with this’s guy. Trust me I’ve been arguing with him and I don’t think he is above 6 years old
  9. dreyone

The game played objectively better back when Smedley was CEO and Higby was on the team. This is irrefutable. The state of the game back then vs. now was like light vs. day. The graphics were better. Server latency was low. Weapons worked well. We had useful equipment like thermal optics.There was no garbage like implants, ASP, cloakable flashes, shielded sundies, HIVES, high-ping Asia players on Connery, or any of the other problems that are now plaguing the game.

Do you really think it is just a coincidence that all these horrible changes were introduced into the game after these folks left SOE/DBG?

FYI to everyone reading this, this TheRatRule kid was talking insane amounts of trash about me in another thread because I had the audacity to complain about server latency, and wrongfully tried to tell me it was because I had a crappy internet connection or a computer.

After I posted conclusive evidence of the fact that there was nothing wrong on my end, and also pointed out that literally thousands of other players are reporting the exact same thing, he reversed his position and then began trash-talking me for not acknowledging that one of the admins openly admitted they were having server issues.

This dude is a trademark toxic player typical of young children who flooded the playerbase over the last few years and contributed to the downfall of this game with their toxic and immature behavior. Feel free to disregard everything he types because he has proven beyond any doubt that he doesn't know what he's talking about at all. He's computer illiterate and his computer was probably purchased for him pre-built by his parents.

To add even more irony this same kid then proceeded to post a thread complaining about the exact same problem I was only a few days after flaming me for doing it. It's incredible how he still doesn't see the irony.
  10. HippoCryties

Lol I know I shouldn’t even bother replying to you but umm you saying I don’t support this game is bs. I’ve given over £1000 in my time here, you probably haven’t spent any.
  11. VeryCoolMiller

I like it. It is the only way to enter in a maxed biolab without wasting hours of my life...
  12. dreyone

I supported the game plenty back when DBG was still SOE with station cash. If you ever see me in game you'll notice that I have a bunch of camos unlocked, all of which I purchased for a substantial amount of IRL money back when the game was new and everything cost a lot more station cash than it does now