Thoughts on the new ES Battle Rifles?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Campagne, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Campagne

Let's see how long this one will go before someone comes in and derails everything. Hold back, I pray thee!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

MGR-M1 Bishop

Not gonna lie, I was really worried the Bishop would be super ugly. Personally I rather pleased with how the model turned out, for some reason I remembered it differently. Sounds pretty good too. Not crazy about the name though, should have used "Ballast" instead if it won't be used for the LMG.

Stats wise, it's alright, excellent accuracy. Viable, but not very practical. This is especially true for NC with our much more versatile SAWs. However, these rifles are available to infiltrators as well as the other battle rifle classes.

Attachment wise, there are two new major additions.
    • Tungsten Liner: Increases damage to 350 from 334 within 10m, down to the standard 334 at 20m. This comes with quite a hefty recoil increase. Theoretically what this would do would bypass the increased shots to kill effect of the auxiliary shield when within 10m. Nanoweave by itself is unaffected, though may offer synergy with an auxiliary shield against this barrel attachment. A definite downgrade to the weapon.
    • Sabot Ammunition: Allows the Bishop to penetrate an unlimited number of infantry at the cost of a 10% reduction to fire rate. While the fire rate reduction is quite low, the number of typical instances in which Sabot rounds would be helpful really doesn't leave me calling this an upgrade. Best likely use would be shooting through allies which run past the barrel when firing. Sidegrade at best, downgrade at worst.
    • Grip is slightly different to a normal one but not really important. All that really matters for the weapon is the horizontal recoil decrease, which it maintains. Equip time decreases and hipfire CoF increases but neither particularly matter for this type of gun.
    Recoil without a Tungsten Liner is very controllable. Take the grip.

Final verdict: Decent, great for long range and infiltrators. I might actually use this one by choice. :p

MG-HBR1 Dragoon

Not a bad looking gun, though not to my tastes. I don't mind looking at it though. Sounds pretty good. Don't love the name for this one either, they missed the clear opportunity to call it "the Dragon."

An issue with the ADS though, as with the Promise an unnecessary piece is sticking out and obscuring view. Not helpful.

[IMG]

Stats wise, it's pretty much the same as the other two. However, that said I must say I feel this is the worst of the three albeit by a small margin. The automatic trigger is a boon for the weapon though, allowing for maximum fire rate over the semi-auto triggers of the other two.

Attachments for thee, numbered three!
    • Single-Fire Barrel: Vertical recoil is reduced by 20%, but the automatic fire it replaced with a semi-automatic instead. I hardly noticed the difference in recoil at all, it's quite small to start with. If controllability is an issue at longer ranges, fire single shots manually instead. A flat downgrade in my opinion.
    • Explosive Ammunition: Damage is reduced to 250 per shot plus 75 indirect damage from the explosion, with a radius of 1.5m, or so the tool-tip claims. In the VR is seemed to extend much further. The effect will not activate until past 10m. This results in a very minor AOE effect and an increase in shots to kill by one. Another stark downgrade.
    • Heavy Magazine: Increases magazine size by 2 for a total of 10 and increases hipfire CoF by 20%. As with the Comfort Grip for the Bishop the weapon shouldn't be hipfired at all, so the downside is pointless in my mind. A mandatory certification.
    As stated above, the recoil is quite small.

Final verdict: Same as Bishop, decent, great for long range and infiltrators. Once again though, I would consider the Dragoon to be the worst of the three though the difference is minor.

VE-LR Obelisk

Looks pretty good, sounds pretty good. Still has the strange diamond shaped reflex sights though. Obelisk is a cool and fitting name, this pleases me.

Stats wise, again pretty much the same as the others. However, I would consider the Obelisk is be the better of the three, given the attachment selection, background stats, and presumably lack of projectile drop without a velocity penalty, as well as the incredible built-in heat mechanic.

Another two special attachments.
    • Manual Calibration: Increases magazine size by 4 for a total of 10 and decreases passive cooldown rate. Given the weapon can be manually "reloaded" if it does cap out the penalty is very insignificant. A mandatory certification.
    • Safety Override: Reduces hipefire CoF by 25% while doubling magazine size and halving damage when fired from the hip. ADSing is unaffected. The tool-tip claims this makes the weapon automatic when hipfired but it most certainly isn't. Another mandatory certification. If not taking Manual Calibration for some reason this one has really no real downside.
    Recoil is once again very easy to control.

Final verdict: Once again decent, great for long range and infiltrators. Better than both the Bishop and Dragoon in really ever important metric.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultimately I'm fairly happy with how they turned out, though I'm a little disappointed with the Dragoon. Forgive me for saying so, but I'm glad the NC didn't come out on the bottom again.
    • Up x 1
  2. frozen north

So far, I have only used them on the PTS, where my opinion never strayed away from " wow these are bad".

The only saving grace for them is the complete lack of random ADS shot dispersion while moving. Otherwise, I generally see them all as being just bad.
  3. OldMaster80

They are battle rifles. Long range options for people with good aim and good trigger discipline: they will generally be awful in the hand of an average player. I've auraxiumed my AMR-66 and hell, it really sucks.
  4. T.A.94

Singleshotbarrel on the Dragoon does not work when equipped. I mean it has its recoil decreased, but still fires automatically.
    • Up x 1
  5. Deffington

Agreed. I haven't noticed change in recoil, but it still fires full-auto. Am I the only one who thinks that full auto on such weapon makes no sense at all?
    • Up x 2
  6. frozen north

Your right, it does not make sense.

That's also kinda dumb that this is happening with the attachment, since that means the update is not based on the latest PTS version, or someone seriously goofed, because this was an issue in earlier PTS builds.
  7. Prudentia

the full auto attachment also doesn't work on the obelisk.
  8. Xytroncore

I auraxed the eidelon a while ago and I'm so far digging the obelisk, it fires a bit slower but hits much harder.

I still haven't even be shot at by anyone with the other battle rifles so far as I can tell, so I can't really comment on how it feels to be on the receiving end of those.
  9. Sir Sovereign

I enjoy the new battle rifles.. The NC sabot rounds are little ehhhh, but it's alright since apparently the other battle rifles are broken atm
  10. JobiWan

Bought the Dragoon last night. Apart from the bugs it's pretty good. Two headshot kill on most infantry at nearly any range.

Was in a 3 way fight for much of the night and I died a lot to VS and NC using the new BRs, but that's to be expected with any new gun.
  11. Zak Preston

Awesome weapons: very well balanced, powerful, and versatile. However, old SA Scout and Sniper rifles are now kinda obsolete. So, class-specific semi-auto rifles are inferior (and require a buff) to general-purpose ones is like having SMGs that are in general superior to LMGs, Carbines or ARs.
  12. Lee Weldon

Has anybody with A.S.P tried having the MGR-M1 Bishop with a primary secondary in place of blackhand as a secondary pistol? I imagine the draw speed on the MGR-M1 Bishop could come close to pistol draw speed and could be a slightly better option for people who try holding a blackhand + SMG/CQC scout rifle but end up walking around with the blackhand more often then not.