Thoughts on Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gd1w, May 30, 2018.

1. gd1w

Firstly, I used to play Planetside 2 a whole lot until they changed it from 32 bit to 64 bit. I could be wrong, but I blame that change for the large dropoff in players (900-ish populations now? Not sure.)

I have a laptop that's 64 bit and I bought a usb mouse to use with it. I tried playing Mechwarrior Online on it (which was also 32 bit until very recently), but even on the lowest settings in a 1v1 solaris match it was unplayable.

I've re-installed planetside 2, but I'm having issues starting it (I can press the green play button but nothing happens after the window closes, maybe I'm not being patient enough). I'm not sure if I'd want to though. My thoughts are as follows:

1>My internet connection sometimes has hiccups anyways.
    2>The player populations are lower, maybe too low?
    2a>I used to play a NC sniper with a railjack shooting people at 200m, I'm not sure if there will be anyone to shoot.
    3>I don't know if it is still world of tanks like it used to be where there just aren't a whole lot of targets for a sniper
    3a>I was watching a video about whether to play planetside 2 now (it was made in January 2018) and I'd make the guy a counter offer on the combined arms: Infantry can't engage aircraft unless they're going for strafing and I'd sacrifice lock on rocket launchers (even my phoenix camera guided launcher) in exchange for vehicle weapons dealing vastly less damage against infantry outside of 100m or so. If the vehicles go up against troops, then its a fair fight both ways.
    4>I'm not sure if the low graphics settings will be low enough for my laptop to run it decently (I've heard there are ways to tweak ini stuff though)
    5>All I ever really did was snipe anyways... maybe it could be fun for nostalgia reasons, but it feels like a high barrier to entry
    6>Reiterating: IMO the switch from 32 bit to 64 bit was a big mistake.

I'll look into getting it up an running a bit maybe. Just installed Fallout new vegas though so we'll see.
  2. gd1w

For some reason I can't edit my OP. Okay...

Got further this time, all the way up to:
    Failed to start BattlEye Service (1056)

Looking like it might be too much of a hassle for now.
  3. customer548

Unfortunatly, playing games (especially multiplayer FPS) on laptops have never been a great choice.

Even desktop users have to make sacrifices (in terms of graph settings with editing .INI file, and hardware) in order to play PS2 properly.
  4. Doc Jim

I'm using an ACER Aspire V3-571G which I bought in... 2013, I've got it running Windows 7 (64bit home blah blah blah).
    I've never edited any files, only played around with the settings as far as they can be changed in the game's settings interface.
    My framerate ranges from 60fps in empty areas down to around 15 during insame zergfest battles, it really depends on the player population and overall activity.

My render distance is 6000m, that is something I am generally unwilling to compromise on in any game. My render quality is 50%, my resolution is 1366x768. The boxes to tick are all off except vertical synch. The drop down options are all on low except shadows and flora, which are off.

My reasoning for these settings is that I grew up with and am accustomed to resolutions in that range. As for having a truckload of settings set to rock bottom of what the settings interface will allow... honestly, Planetside 2 on rock bottom is good enough. I once maxed out the settings and could get nothing done anymore, not just because the framerate took a dive, but because the abundance of details was way too distracting.

Overall, I am quite happy with what my toaster can show. Anything upwards of 30fps feels fluid enough to me and anything upward of 20fps is still playable although not so enjoyable. As for getting a constant minimum of 60fps... I can't help with that because I don't care about that, never have, never will.
  5. adamts01

1) Don't knock the game till you actually get it running right and get a feel for current balance. As far as Snipers, there's plenty to do. Long range sniping has never been that useful, but CQC sniping with a T-sar, Ghost, SAS-R, Daimyo, or Tomoe is incredibly strong.

2) You need to dive in to Planetside 2 specific Graphics settings. Render range often isn't as big of a resource draw as people think. Even at 6,000 you're only rendering terrain, which is largely handled by GPU memory where as the biggest draws to performance are often processor related. You're going to want to turn down or off particles, turn off shadows, turn off flora, limit audio channels, and make adjustments to ease pressure on your CPU, like using "raw mouse input", it's just one more needless task your computer has to do. As far as textures, this game often runs better at higher settings, as the GPU doesn't have to work to compress the game's native resolution. Setting it to 0 in user options is Ultra. However, model and terrain quality can be tough on your GPU, so leave those to low on a laptop.

Here are some good links for getting your game to run smoother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1561&v=4AEb41Kkras

http://iridar.net/planetside2/performance-guide/
  6. Ragnarock

I'm sorry OP but 32 bit computers are ancient at this point, you can't really blame the game for doing this.

And about render distance, even when on an aircraft, anything above 3000 is a waste of your hardware.
    Make sure to pull down your render distance and your performance will bump up.
    • Up x 1