Exploiting multiple characters

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NachoNinjaGnome, May 22, 2018.

1. NachoNinjaGnome

So, for some reason, individual players having multiple characters from different factions on the same server is a thing. Never really thought much of it considering I have a character in each faction on Emerald, but I only play one of them. So, earlier this morning, I approached an enemy base in my Ant and began destroying their buildings. Took out their ammo tower, and just as I was about to destroy another construction, a friendly Lightening tank armed with a Viper cannon came up behind and put 6 in my rear (giggity). I thought, this must be a mistake, so I removed myself from the base's line of fire and tried to talk to the guy in proximity chat. I lied to him and told him he's being recorded. Then I said he was being reported, which I DID do that. Then I turned on my OBS and went back, hopefully, to catch him on video. He was there, but as NC this time (the base he was defending was VS). So, I've seen people switch their characters (and factions) for other purposes, such as running around our base looking for weaknesses so their friends would have an easier time assaulting it, or detonating C4 on repair modules so that their friends can take out the things being repaired by it. Now, I'm not sure why you even let players make more than one character per server in the first place, as this is just the sort of thing that everyone know they CAN do, but few actually exploit due to lack of skill and/or ethics. At this point though, what can Daybreak do? They can't delete everyone's characters. So, I found a solution (you're welcome Daybreak). All that needs to happen is for the Devs to implement a cooldown timer. Once you log out of your character, a timer starts on all characters of another faction that renders them unselectable. An hour would probably do. What do you guys think?
    • Up x 2
  2. typnct

They can always make new accounts to counter that so an ip lock to other factions seems about right or a pc id char lock for an hour or untill the continent locks
    • Up x 2
  3. Mechmaniac

I think a PC ID could find them easily, so if the ******* change account for the second time within an hour, login will be locked for half an hour, what I think should be the right amount of time to make him tink about to not do that.
    • Up x 2
  4. JibbaJabba

Can't fix any account switching shenanigans until you first get rid of the membership requirement to login to each of your characters every day to get your bonus certs. :/
    • Up x 2
  5. Eternaloptimist

I have six toons - one of each faction on Cobalt and the same on Miller. In my case it is purely so that I have the maximum chance to find a decent fight each time I log on.

Sadly there is no way to stop faction switching losers so long as even a ftp player gets multiple toons.

The idea of a cool down timer has been suggested several times in these forums. I have to tell you that it would seriously annoy me and, no doubt, a lot of other decent and moral players who enjoy (and pay for) the benefit of multiple toons.........unless it only triggered if you try to log off straight after a teamkill or after doing other friendly damage.
  6. NachoNinjaGnome

Then it would be too late to stop what we're trying to stop.

So, you pay money to minimize needed effort on your part. Seems to be a common practice in FTP games. Luckily, these FTP games need players like you to make them economically viable. Poor people like me actually have to make an effort to create a decent fight if one isn't already present for us to join. Either way, I do not believe that lack of motivation or skill on any player's part should factor into such a decision.
  7. Liewec123

as you said everyone knows you can do it but very few are childish/lame enough to do it.
    putting restrictions or timers on it would just suck for those of us who play for real across each faction.

note, cooldowns would also mess up my logging in for membership passive certs,
    it already takes 5 minutes logging through characters, a cooldown between factions would make the daily process unbearable.
  8. NachoNinjaGnome

Well, obviously, that feature would have to change, but all in all it would be for the best for everyone involved. Simple fix: reduce daily log in requirements to one character, and MAYBE add a stipulation that you must log into each character at least once every so often (e.g., every week or every month) in order to keep getting those passive certs for daily log ins.
  9. AlcyoneSerene

Another consideration not yet mentioned is two or more people who share the same internet connection, or also the same computer, to play their own accounts. I used to play it with a couple, and it would be completely unacceptable to lock one of them out, or have one endure a timer to use their own account on that same computer.

So an ideal scenario, unfortunately, isn't really possible, and it takes just two players who know each other who play two different factions to communicate, in or out of game, and give away or trade intel or sabotage.
    • Up x 1
  10. Prudentia

If you have someone switch faction to teamkill, go to fisu, make a screenshot of their stats and their killboard and then go to the support page and write a ticket to report them.

Do NOT use the ingame report tool, it is 100% useless and does absolutely NOTHING.
  11. NachoNinjaGnome

Nothing is going to be ideal for everyone in every situation. The goal is to make it the best it can possibly be for as many as possible. I would imagine the amount of people who take turns playing Planetside 2 on the same PC is next to none. Most PC gamers have their own PC... that's why it's called a "PC" (personal computer). Additionally, you COULD just not log out and switch off that way... you'd rank up and get certs MUCH faster that way anyway. Or, when switching users, someone could just play a different game... there's thousands of them out there, many of which are free to play. I feel it would be much more beneficial to more players to implement such a feature than to just let lame, traitorous teamkilling like this continue.
  12. NachoNinjaGnome

Good to know... now if I just knew how. I have a screenshot of my death screen showing him doing 100% of the damage, but that's it. Don't where I would submit such a thing anyway. Scoured the forum, nowhere to submit a ticket that I could see.

What is this "fisu" and how do I get there?
  13. AlcyoneSerene

I have heard multiple people using in-game reporting in waves against blatant cheaters and exploiters to no use, and so also suspect it to be more a venting mechanism leading to the trash can than an actual way to report.

So perhaps reporting using the forums is the only way that gets anywhere, as we have been reminded recently here:

Headshot exploiters WHY ARE THESE PEOPLE STILL HERE?
  14. NachoNinjaGnome

I'd love to, but how? I don't see anywhere on the forums to report anyone.
  15. AlcyoneSerene

https://www.planetside2.com/home and click on Support link on top right.
  16. Who Garou

Give me the free certs due on all my alts when I log into any of my characters and I might think about this as plausible.

Otherwise, no.

I am an All Access player, and I get CERTs for logging my characters in.
    It would be bs to expect me to log in, and log out to log all of my characters.
    you aren't limited to 3, you can buy more slots.

I agree some do use this as a loophole.
    Makes more sense to bar logging back into the same character after logging into another faction for an hour.
    I would think that makes more sense.
    I would even say - log out of a character, log into another faction, then try to log back into the first character and block both characters for an hour and/or block all characters from either of those factions for 1 hour.

I just want to be able to log into and/or get credit for logging into all my characters without it taking 6-9 hours - and that's without getting to play any of them with your plan.
  17. Who Garou

Your best bet is probably here :: https://dgcissuetracker.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=10600

18. Xebov

Lack of Servers. Also your issue is uncommon. I rarely ever had issues with it even when the game was much more populated. The system also has its benefits when trying to get rid of vehicles buged into objects in the past....
  19. Ragnarock

I disagree with your solution. If someone is griefing on purpose, that calls for a permaban on all of the user's accounts.
  20. NachoNinjaGnome

Guess you missed that part, huh? That issue was already addressed and an easy fix proposed. It's such an easy and obvious fix that you managed to reiterate upon the subject without prior knowledge of it. If I could edit the original post to include that tidbit, I would.