[Suggestion] Make Assist kills count for KDR aswell

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stoet, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Stoet

First of all, i know KDR rating shouldn't matter in this game. It looks nice and feels good ending with positive, can't deny that!! Alot of people do care about their KDR tho.

Now i find myself Assist alot in kills, and not so much killing since i main medic mostly, and i run with a shotgun so i can take care of close combat quick when im reviving someone.
    Even when i do run as a Infiltrator, HA or LA i find myself assiting quite a bit.

Now i have played a few other games that DID have this system of rewarding Kill assist into KDR.
    Lets say im in combat, i see some guy running and we start shooting. i get a kill assist and i get exp compared to how much dammage i did. meaning it's a % of his hp and the dammage i did to it. SO THIS IS ALREADY BEING TRACKED!!
    Lets say to said guy i did 70% dammage, and go 70 exp from the kill. that other guy did get the kill, did 30% of dammage, gets more exp as i do,and gets the kill.
    Next guy comes, he wants to revive his just fallen friend, but we shoot him. now i do 40% of dammage and some other folks deal the remaining 60%. now in total i've done 110% of HP dammage to an enemy, but yet no kill.

I think the game should reward that as a kill, adding up the assist numbers up to when you made 100% ( or even 125% just because it's not a actual kill) and add this into KDR rating, so that it FEELS more rewarding when you assist rather then killing.

I've had days i run in my TR max, and get 25 minutes of livetime, getting near 50 certs, making 50 kill assist, and just 1 or 2 kills.(maybe dieing a few times but medic and engi are life-savers). now this would make a possitive KDR, and thats oké. but i don't get the feeling i did something, because running for 25 minutes in my max only got me a KDR of 2. when i feel like i did alot more as that.

And this is alot worse when i run medic, since i care for reviving people, i just shoot people when i realy need to. im not around for killing peeps, im around for reviving. but when needed, i shoot and get assist. i've had days ending up with 30 deaths for like 3-4 kills BUT like 200 certs because medic....this does involve a ton of assists, revives, heals ofc. but hardly killing because im not focusing on that as a medic.

Hope this makes sence.
    Already see the haters coming with their "should't care for KDR replies" but it's just a feeling that if it looks better, you would enjoy more because it's in our nature to perform well. And as humans we hate to be "bad" at things and we all do look at our own stats.

As an question"is Kill assist being tracked ? couldn't find it anywhere in my stats.
    If not, should add that aswell.
    • Up x 3
  2. Callyste

Assists are noted on the Summary page, top right corner with the kills, deaths, and k/d ratio stats. (Along with the "accuracy" stat which for some reason is 0.000)
  3. DarkStarAnubis

Get rid of assists and add fractional kills instead --> So a lot of assists all together equals to several kills..

e.g.
    If you kill someone --> you get 1.00.
    If you inflict 45% damage and another player kills --> you get 0.45 and he gets 1.00

Side Note: in PS2 the "kill" concept is screwed. if you inflict 99.99% damage and someone else delivers 0.01% damage he gets the kill.
  4. FateJH

It's almost like that last 0.01% matters.
    • Up x 1
  5. Prudentia

he gets the kill, you get XP almost equal to a kill.
    afterall the system can't know if you did 99% damage in a straight up fight and then someone hit the last bullet from off screen or if you did 99% damage, the enemy survived the encounter and then got finished off by an ally.
  6. Luicanus

My comment from a previous thread about this.

Another idea would be replace K/D with a measure of how much xp you've earned versus how much enemies have earned off you.
    This would need to be normalized at the baseline xp to prevent boosts skewing the stats but could be interesting.

If you blow up 2 Sunderers and a Lightning then die in your own lightning then you lose the xp value of your lightning and your life (maybe not the high threat part though) but that's being measured against the xp you destroyed of the enemy.

This would leave players who push objectives better off as although they may have died more than they killed their contribution, clearing mines, repairing armour, dropping ammo, assists, healing and rezzing allies, spotting enemies and getting on the point all bump their stat up even if they were dying 5:1 in the actual battle.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...formance-tracking-system.248950/#post-3499184
  7. Stoet

isn't this like axactly the same as i said ? xD but then with assists instead of "fractional kills"?
  8. DarkStarAnubis

It depends on how narrow minded you are.

If someone delivers 0.01% DMG and the enemy dies it is because someone else has done 99.9% of the work... ;)
  9. DarkStarAnubis

Kind of.

Assists disappear from the stats and when an enemy is killed players get XP and fraction of kills according to what they have done (DMG). For example :

Player 1 delivers 40% DMG.
    Player 2 delivers 50% DMG.
    Player 3 delivers 10% DMG.
    The enemy dies, as consequence:

Player 1 gets 40‰ xp and 0.4 kill.
    Player 2 gets 50% xp and 0.5 kill.
    Player 3 gets 10% xp and 0.1 kill.
    It Does NOT matter anymore who delivered the last blow.
  10. TomoB

Are some folks admiring their own KDR or why does it matter? Kinda like bodybuilders like to see themselves from the mirror while they pump?
  11. FateJH

Technically, the opponent would still be alive with 0.09% of his life and I would give neither of them credit for anything.

Ignoring numbers, if the goal is to eliminate the other person, the person who only did 99.9% did not succeed. He assisted in the eventual success; and, it may have been a big success; but, if it were only that one person, the 0.01% guy would not be dead.
    • Up x 2
  12. Prudentia

basically this. Infantry are so squishy and quick to bring back up to full fighting power again that if you didn't kill them outright and it wasn't a 2v1 where you got picked off and the other guy killed him, you didn't really accomplish anything.
    Vehicles are a different matter because they are so damage spongy to any non C4 AV weapon that focusing fire is important to actually finish them off and the directives for AV really should be damage based, but in the time you deal damage to a vehicle you can kill infantry.
  13. Luicanus

Admiring a good KD isn't the problem. The issue as we've been trying to point out is that when a new player joins the game they see KD as essentially the only Stat that is of prominence, and with their probable experience of games such as Halo and COD where KD was a measure of how well you are doing they can get quite disheartened by their inevitable low KD early on.

By all means have the KD stat there but don't have it as a prominent stat let alone the most prominent one. One suggestion I read was to have the TAB page be customizable, you could have the Default omit the KD but if a player choses then they can add it to their TAB stats.
  14. DarkStarAnubis

Truth is, we do not know that.

In PS2, with client-side hit detection and network latency to report back results to the server if two or more players open fire the killer is RNG, that's why I would consider fairer just to have fractional kills (also to promote team-play and prevent "kill stealing").

EDIT: I believe it is a different philosophical approach: I open fire many times fully knowing I will NOT be able to kill the enemy but only maim so eventually someone else will finish him but if you focus only on "who deliver the final blow regardless of what happens before" then yes.
  15. Stoet

Who's saying he did not succeed ? the 2nd guy shot aswell, so he hit that guy TOO! not saing the 99,99% guy was out of ammo, or reloading yet. it's just said that he did 99,99% of the dammage at that point.
    When you open fire at someone, and a 2nd person starts shooting he gets a part of the kill. if he just hits the last and final bullet, it could have been a 1 hp bullet that made the kill, granting him a full kill worth of exp in a single bullet hit, and the guy shooting him for 99,99% would only gett an assist and exp that is bound with the assist and the number of dammage he did, but NOT the kill.

Would the guy have been dead if the 2nd guy didn't shoot ? yea prolly if the first person was not reloading, was not out of ammo, or maybe could have knifed , trow a nade man... even hug him to death for all i care.

You join the game new, You go and play and u end up making dieing 70 times. you've made 100 assist and 35 kills.(for the sake of number being easy)
    U're KD after this session is 0.5. u are new, u check ur KD and well.. you t hink u did bad. It doesn't show u also assisted in 100 kills, even if those 100 assist would be 25% assist average, it would count(see main post) as 25 kills. making it's total kill count up to 60.
    So then the new guy would have a KD or aprox 0.86 instead of 0.5. Feels better if u are new right ?

Even when not new, but a few months in, i feel better ending with a KD close or over 1 as far far below, knowing i did my fair share anyway, it's just a feeling i get when i see the number thats showing when i press TAB over and over... K/D!
  16. raffa2

would be nice for directives, i'm looking at you, rocket launcher kills, MAX kills, MAX punch kills, spitfire kills etc...
  17. Stoet

Those are not kills, they're still assists. just every so many will grant you a kill on the KD ratio.

But I would like to see it count aswell, since for example, Rocket launcher kills are rather hard since everyone is jumping out of their vehicle before it goes boom :D.
    only launchers i do get kills with every once in a while are striker and other dumpfire launchers because the enemy "doesn't know" the rocket is coming, so no time to jump out.
    • Up x 1
  18. Davelantor

If we are going for the "FEEL GOOD"
    If you get revived, it doesnt count for the death
    If you assist and but not final blow, it counts for kill

Problem solved, everyone has 200 K/D. People that care are happy, please that dont care are happy because the other half stops complaining.
    • Up x 1
  19. Stoet

being revived does remove the death.
    But how often are u getting revived ? in bigger combat.. maybe a bit more often, but i still see alot of peole simply not caring to revive people they do now activly play with. I see medics passing over my dead body when im dead.
    But indeed, it's a Win/Win for everyone :D

complainers will have better KD, non complainers with already a good KD will get an even better one.