[Suggestion] A KDR reset token.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gustavo M, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Gustavo M

Well... since most folk seem to care about it... I thought "why not suggest it as another way to generate more revenue to DBG?". So there you go. For those individuals who think their current KDR does not truly represent their "skill" -- just buy one of those little things, use it and poof -- KDR goes back to zero for another chance.
  2. Gushroom

so a clear stat token??? I mean good idea for revenue earnings, but it might be impossible with the directives...
    As KD is calculated of kills and deaths( so you have to reset thoose)but then if kills with weapon is calculated from kills rather than stored straight away i might cause bugs.
    So i don't know if it even is possible, if you are not gonna delete all stats(with directive scores adn achivements)...
    • Up x 1
  3. Prudentia

Or why not just get better at the game to get a better k/D?
    • Up x 3
  4. Skraggz

All my characters aside from my VS carry my learning curve kdr from when I started about a year ago. This would reflect my current kdr, which I can view each sessions kdr by hitting tab. Good idea, better one would be just remove kdr all together, this game isn't about being a one man army. The main metric should be something like SPM (and baseline if that's affected by boost/sub). That way support players and drivers become valued players just as well as a good fragger.
    • Up x 1
  5. Mianera

Why do you care about your own or others KDR?

Just ignore it and focus on having fun.
  6. customer548

Yeah but...A high BR with a new "0" KD ???
    What will his friends think?? What will people around think ??? Shaaaaame!

- Better remove KDR stat and all other stats, remove everything !! Remove the game too, because of reasons!!! :eek:
  7. Callyste

Who even checks people's KDR...
  8. DarkStarAnubis

I am sorry, but your post shows exactly why KDR is so toxic especially to new players who knows almost nothing.

One of my toons has a a 9.14 KDR and I can assure you I am a lousy player: not because I spawn-camp (with the exception of having fun with a Phoenix), but because I am coming from ArmA and I play as if I have one life and that's over. I play mostly HA/LA but in a very conservative way: lots of support, movement, flanking, engagement at range, assists, SA, scan the minimap and disengaging when needed.

So I get a relatively high KDR, but a very low SPM. Not exactly the guy who clears a room.
    • Up x 1
  9. Prudentia

i
    if you keep the same playstyle and improve your KD you are improving your game. it's that simple. if your playstyle gives you a 9.1 K/D thats great for you, but it's irrelevant for your own improvement if it stays a 9.1 forever.
    I took a 3 year break and afterwards my traditional ~2KD improved to a ~3K/D when running solo and stays at 2 but with a higher SPM when running with my outfit and all that despite running metallic pink and lumifiber armor making me hard to miss at night. which either means Infantry Lumifiber has 0 influence on my performance or i've improved in the same magnitude as it hinders me.
    That is why K/D is an interesting performance metric and why complaing that people who pay attention to it are toxic. if you get better at the game, your K/D improves. period.
  10. Gustavo M

So if I decide to play more aggressively and consequentially (logically, perhaps... since I'm always playing solo. And it's no rocket science that 3 > 1) reducing my KDR to 1 means that I'm not improving my game?
    Well, dangit.
    • Up x 1
  11. Prudentia

or it means that your new playstyle is more risky and you should check if your accuracy, Headshot rate, KPM and SPM increases. and most importantly if you have more fun.
    K/D is only one stat and it gives you a general performance metric, but it only works alone if you are consistent in your playstyle. across different ones SPM, KPM and fun are more important.
  12. customer548

Why an agressive gameplay would lead to a 1 KD as a maximum value? Repeating the same tasks on and on with the same class(es) will lead you to improve for sure. KD will follow.
  13. Hegeteus

Nobody who's opinion is worth anything is going to mock you for KDR. It's better to just show honest character history than make new characters just for stats' sake.
  14. customer548

A number is not "toxic". It's more of a community problem.
  15. The Shady Engineer

I think it's a brilliant idea.

Those who care about their KDR will be happy because they will be able to make it higher by wiping out the early game learning curve stats that bring it down. Those of us who don't care about KDR will be happy with more dev work going into the game because the KDR obsessed people are gonna shell money on this reset token like crazy. Win-win if you ask me.

Also if you think about it, a KDR reset will make the stat even more meaningless than it is since it is possible to reset until it's padded just right. Is the guy with 5 infantry KD amazing or did he re-roll until it got artificially padded by tower/bio lab farms?
    • Up x 2
  16. infilallday

I dont put much thought into K/D
    When i first started i was always checking it. Now however, my 5yr old likes to play on my account, (which i dont mind) this has had a MAJOR impact on my K/D ratio to a point where i no longer worry about it at all.
    (I lie it still nags me and sometimes i cringe watching him destroy my perceived "reputation")

"look at that Brettles1983 guy, he is crap, WTF is he doing!?!?!"
    • Up x 2
  17. Vulpecula07

A KDR will NEVER truly represent anyone's skill.
  18. Vulpecula07

You should lease your 5yr old to people who care about KDR, this could heal the game to some extent.
  19. Vulpecula07

All make sense to me.

However one concern I can think of is: some people when they spent money to clear their KDR, they'll protect their new KDR more carefully. This could lead to more conservative play styles, such as spawn room camping. These people may become less likely to take risks, and this can cause bad game experience for all. But then this may be offset by the possibility as you said "a KDR reset will make the stat even more meaningless than it is", as this may encourage a lot of other people.

I really enjoyed the time years ago when people didn't mind sacrificing, and focus more on winning a fight than personal stats which mean nothing.
  20. LodeTria

Chances are, the bads that buy it will end up with what they perceive as a bad KDR again anyway.
    Then the bads will have to find some other excuse for their lack of skill, like their team-mates, vehicles, faction and so on.