Stop making me play on Hossin

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by raidneq, Apr 4, 2018.

1. raidneq

No one likes this map. If you do like this map you are in a minority of the total player base. There was a reason no one played on it before whatever update screwed up the continent locking mechanics. On off hours Hossin is always the only available map because its always locked last since no one wants to play on it. There are days when I will literally not play ps2 just because Hossin is the only unlocked map. Im sure this is effecting player retention, if ive hated this map as soon as ive started playing im sure other people so. I miss being able to choose which map I want to play on, and where continent locking was uncommon. I dont care if the old system made areas scarce. If areas are scarce there is probably a larger problem that needs to be addressed. I dont even think scarcity is a major problem. People will already go to where the good fights are, they dont need to be forced to play together by cramming them all into this crappy map.

If the current system isnt going to get fixed then there at least needs to be two availible maps at all times so players can at least not be forced to play on hossin.
    • Up x 6
  2. Gammit

Hossin is easily the second best map.
    • Up x 3
  3. Prudentia

Amerish > Hossin > Indar > Esamir
    • Up x 3
  4. The Rogue Wolf

I hate Indar, so I'm sure everyone else does too and they should remove the map.
    • Up x 6
  5. Doc Jim

On the issue of Hossin: The fact that Hossin is almost always the map that ends up staying open at night is a quite clear indicator that this map does not enjoy as much popularity as the others.

Hossin aside, I absolutely agree with OP that there should never be less than two maps open. There should always be a choice.
    (No, Koltyr and VR don't count)
    • Up x 4
  6. raidneq

I never said they should remove it, Im only saying that at the very least there should be one other map open so that if I hate one I can play on the other.
  7. Sazukata

Ahhh, good ol' bandwagon perception bias.

Hossin has plenty of well designed bases compared to other continents. The tree canopy also somewhat forces A2G cheese to operate closer to their supposed "counters".

There are some downsides such as underwater tank mines and performance issues (though that one's a problem for me to solve), but it's a lot better of a continent than Esamir and some parts of Indar.
  8. Corporate Thug

Good, then it balances out with the hatred I have towards Indar. Indar is awful and despite all the changes it always feels the same. Esamir is a close second with it's relentless death to all things that spawn soldiers. Amerish offers a good blend of infantry and vehicles, without one being clearly better on average when playing on that continent, while Hossin makes it so sunderers last for long periods of time, soldiers can flank and actually move across the map, all the while it still retains nice places for infantry combat.

We are always infantry, sometimes just inside of vehicles, so I don't understand why people tend to love continents that are not in favor of infantry. No one praises the PS2 vehicle mechanics, though I have heard many times about how great the gunplay is in this game... Just saying
  9. raidneq

People, the subject of this thread isnt hossin its the fact that the current continent locking always makes this the only availible map during off hours. Id be complaining about being forced to play on amerish if amerish where always the only availible map during off hours since amerish would be the least liked map by the player base.
  10. Campagne

Opinions aside, Hossin is the objectively least popular continent and always has been.

But anyways no, Hossin is hot garbage and should be abandoned whenever another continent unlocks.
    • Up x 1
  11. Luicanus

And here's me with Hossin as my favorite. really it just needs a little love from the devs. I mean it still has the placeholder construction sites for crying out loud.

If they took the time to give it a proper revamp/finish it might be better appreciated by the community. Clean up the map and make it look less like they stopped half way through working on it.

Meanwhile I dislike Indar mostly because it gets all the updates. It's already got some of the most diverse terrain and biomes yet seemingly every other time there's a map update it's Indar that's been worked on.

If they'd give the other continents a chance (maybe include more light bridges like at Heyoka Chemical Labs) and generally maps to a more comparable state then people would have less obvious preferences.
    • Up x 1
  12. Prudentia

pretty much. it's kinda silly that like half the bases on hossin use the warehouse building as a cappoint and only a few of them have interior seperators to make them interesting. all others are just a big empty room.
    but the bases not using the warehouse are just some of the best in the game... but also some of the worst. especially the northern amp stations outposts are absolutey dreadful.
  13. MuggieWara

EXACTLY!
  14. frozen north

I find hossin is a really polarizing map for players. Some players really enjoy the map, usually listing it in their top two continents, while others utterly despise its existence. It's interesting because there also seems to be almost zero consensus on the reason people say this, but even still its a polarizing continent.

Personally, I do consider hossin one of my favorite continents ( right up there with modern amerish for my top pick), while my least favorite ends up being Indar. The only continent I disliked more then indar was amerish before it got its rework.

As for why the continent locking system was added, best I can tell, its a two part reason. The first part of the reason is that this game just doesn't have the community it used to have. So instead of having only a few dozen players spread out across every continent, the system ensures several hundred are able to fight on one continent. The reason the continents rotate, is well, everyone has different preferences.

TRUTH!
  15. Sazukata

Can't deny that.

In retrospect, seems my comment was a bit hypocritical as well. :p

Do you find it cramped or something? Is it just plain ugly? (<- I can agree with that)

I can totally understand an opinion without sharing it, but I rarely see much explanation for the intense dislike of Hossin. Only thing I've seen is vehicle users not liking the area between bases. (I for one prefer that lack of open fields)
  16. Campagne

Personally, I mostly dislike Hossin because of the typical base designs. A lot of them try to be unique and interesting, but are often terrible to attack or defend or both. Often they have confusing layouts, unintuitive designs, and questionable choices such as untraversable bridges. Whether it's one big campground or trying to find the way down to an underground point, or just spending a long time trying to reach a point far away.

It also tends to choke up my FPS a bit more in larger fights. The tree coverage seems to protect enemy air more than it prevents it, blocking line of sight until it's too late and cutting off locks with all the branches. Roads are often rather narrow and create chokepoints where vehicles are funneled forwards, while the area surrounding some bases is completely open.

Hossin tries to be interesting more than practical, in my opinion.
    • Up x 1
  17. 01042018

I'm sorry Devs, I know it's been a lot of work but this continent is a trash. Literally.
    It's depressive. Sad. U feel like an ant between all these 543 meter high trees. Like a bug. Hostile.
    On said trees - beacons exploit fest. Can't find it.
    Glowing titanium made flowers grows everywhere. You better not pull vehicles, unless vanu, maybe.
    Some people say they love Hossin. It's a minority. Must be.
    The sudden drop in population when it's the only open continent is a proof how people love it. They don't.
    • Up x 1
  18. Liewec123

if we're going backwards, sure :p
    impossibly dark night on amerish makes it my most hated map
    (plus i hate the damn canyons funnelling you down lanes and making travelling in a ground vehicle annoying and far longer than it needs to be.)
    hossin is just...well...hossin.
    indar is just too overplayed.
    esamir is a fun break from indarside
    (plus my most fun is having a sundy parked at mani tower jump pad and using it with drifter jets to attack any base 1-2 hexes away!)
    • Up x 1
  19. Prudentia

maybe it's because i played a LOT of arma, but i do not consider the dark nights of amerish to be an issue, quite the opposite, they are a great change of pace. and thats from someone who never runs IRNV scopes and is decked out in Infantry Lumifiber on all Classes.
    Hosssin is the next best because it's bases are a mixed bag between awesome and copied-over-from-esamir but the trees mean that any fight can grow more or less organically because being 3m outside of a base doesn't mean you are in a dead wasteland.
    Indar is just indar. boring terrain, quite decent lattice, some nice based, old and overplayed.
    and Esamir is just god awful. it's Lattice is ok and pale canyon chemical is a fun base where we spent as much time as possible but thats about it. it's terrible to look at because everything is white, it's terrible to play on because everybase is hardcapped on the size the fight can grow. it's also hardcapped on the places where a sundy can deploy. vehicle gameplay is almost non existant aside from farming and zerg standoffs because there is no terrain to mover around.
    i would actually go so far and call hossin the best Vehicle continent aside from underwater mines because almost all lanes are open enouhh but with enough cover that you can do a lot of sneaky flanking.
    • Up x 1
  20. frozen north

I do have to agree with a lot of this, especially relating indar, and vehicles on hossin.