[Guide] Highly Technical Weapon Comparison: 143 @ 698 LMGs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Iridar51, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Iridar51

>>> Posted at Iridar.net <<<

This article compares MGR-L1 Promise, T9 CARV-S, Pulsar LSW and SVA-88.

I'd like to review Anchor and Maw next, but no promises on deadlines.
    • Up x 8
  2. Prudentia

*rubs hands* this is gonna be interesting.
  3. Campagne

Good guide, learned a little bit I didn't know before.

Can't say my opinions on anything has changed though.

Hey, now Prudentia has a more appropriate thread to derail. :p
  4. Prudentia

what is there to derail? the promise is the most accurate, easiest to control 143 LMG in the game. period. now you just have someone else telling you the same thing
  5. Campagne

I dunno, you tell me. I'm sure you'll find a way. ;)

Period? No, not period. The word you're looking for is "arguably." One could make the fair and legitimate argument that the Promise is the most accurate and most controllable, but it is not entirely objectively true. The values are not a flat upgrade and are better and worse for different situations.

Easiest to control, just as long as you don't get unlucky with the horizontal recoil. Most accurate, only if ya' either never fire more than 6 shots at a time, or hold down the trigger long enough to hit the max CoF cap.

Iridar only gives us the stats and data to work with. You can accept/agree with his opinions, or you can form your own. Don't be a sheep. :p
  6. Prudentia

OBJECTIVLY the most accurate 143 Damage LMG
  7. Iridar51

If you're talking about first few shots, then it's only somewhat a legitimate issue. With Forward Grip, you'll have 0.075 / 0.225 Horizontal Recoil for the first shot. The average here is 0.15, which is just in line with 0.2 / 0.2 weapon with a Forward Grip. And just as you can roll higher, you can also roll lower.

For the second shot, you'll already have 0.075 / 0.175 recoil, with the average being 0.125, which is already better than for any competition.

For the third shot, you're down to 0.075 / 0.125, with the MAXIMUM value being lower than MINIMUM value for any other LMG in the competition, and most of the primary weapons in the game in general.

If you're talking about high Tolerance and the tendency of the weapon to slide along horizontal plane, then I personally haven't felt Promise to be any particularly different from other weapons in that regard. Yes, statistically, you can end up with the weapon doing 10 kicks left, then 10 kicks right, then back again, etc. And you know what? You can just as well end up with another LMG kicking 6 times left, then 6 times right, then back again, etc. And statistically it's even slightly more likely, because you'll have the weapon automatically push in another direction every 6 shots.

If you're talking about CoF Bloom, only three LMGs in the game have reduced CoF Bloom, and none of them win any accuracy contests either. And it's not like it's the Promise with a bad stat here. It's other weapons with the good stat. And they start with a worse CoF. What did you expect? That another weapon would be just directly better?

What does this have to do with anything? Why is having a cap a bad thing suddenly? You're not making any sense.

Yeah, if you wanna be that guy, technically Promise can be at a disadvantage in terms accuracy, especially during first few shots. Still makes it way better on average than any other 143 @ 698 LMG out there. Would could argue about 143 @ 632 - 652 selection, but they get a pass due to lower DPS.

You're entitled to your opinion, as any other person, but there is having an opinion, and then there is just closing your ears and yelling "NANANA CAN'T HEAR YOU"
    • Up x 2
  8. Prudentia

couldn't have said it better.
    the promise is basically designed around one single thing:
    keeping a 100% consistent DPS for as far out as possible by removing the need to burst fire.
    so where other weapons lose DPS at range because you have to burst fire them the promise just wants you to throw lead down range till your enemies refuse to accept another revive nade.
    • Up x 1
  9. Iridar51

Well I wouldn't necessarily phrase it that way. What you're talking about is sustained suppressive fire, and there's never been much need for something like that. Not to mention that any weapon with a large mag can fill that role. And it's not like 1 degree of max CoF is some good virtue. It's only effective within 25m or so, and only with bodyshots.

IMO Promise is just a low recoil LMG with a fun gimmick and decent DPS compared to other low recoil LMGs, though with a shorter effective range, all there is to it.
  10. BanthaFodder

Really good analysis, I kinda wish they made the promise a competitive cqc gun similar to the watchman and the maw. Or better yet make a fun gun like an extreme godsaw with more damage and lower rof. Even with the promise buffs I'd still prefer to use the saw or the anchor.
  11. Prudentia

well obviously it's not a long range weapon. but still, 20 to 30 meters range is quite far away, it means you can full auto from the top of big stairs at any of the 3 doors and not to have let go of the trigger.

and ofcourse my favorite thing i did in my Promise session today:
    get suprised by an enemy in CQC, start firing, ADS, nail his head , all without losing a single bit of DPS. also has the nice sideeffect that the initial recoil changes have gone through completely.
  12. Campagne

Heh. I'm only arguing that the Promise isn't objectively better than the other 143/698 LMGs, mostly just to spite Prudentia. :p

Fact is, as you know, it is not objectively better. It's mostly better, but that's not really the point. ;)

Same thing here, but a bit more serious. Most engagements aren't going to end in less than 7 bullets, in which the Promise's CoF isn't actually better. A lower bloom has a purpose just as a lower initial CoF.

Holding down the trigger for so long the Promise hits the cap would make it more accurate than trying to do the same with another of the 143/698 LMGs. I'm not saying this is worse in anyway, but it's not the be-all-end-all. Over-played advantage.

This line is directed at Prud specifically. He seems to have the tendency to barely acknowledge any opinions he disagrees with with the exception of his eager responses to almost everything I've got to say this past while. I'm saying it seems that he is blindingly supporting your opinion:
    Promise > Pulsar LSW > SVA-88 > CARV-S
    while ignoring all the times you said all four of the LMGs are kinda lackluster. His continuous praise of a rather lame gun never falters.

"On overall spectrum of the effective range and effectiveness within that range, 143 @ 698 LMGs are between CQC LMGs and 167+ damage LMGs with ~matching DPS. The problem is that these waters are so muddy that there’s no reason to settle for this mediocre option."

Call the Promise lame and arguably one of the worst NC LMGs and suddenly you'll be told it's the only NC LMG worth using. :p

As a side note, don't think I am saying it's wrong to agree with you or any such thing, just that one should read the information and come to their own conclusions rather than just adopting whatever opinions are presented to him, even if they feel exactly the same way as you might. I mostly agree, but I feel the Promise and Pulsar are more or less tied for first.
  13. stalkish

Sounds like a great weapon.................................for TR :confused:

Damn you devs! Stick to your mantra! :p
  14. Prudentia

The Pulsar LSW is my favorite VS LMGs.
    The Promise is a better Pulsar LSW
    so why wouldn't i say that it is a great gun?