How to Kill a Sundy as a Light Assault?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kerros, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Kerros

This may seem like bit of a redundant question, but some sundies seem really hard to kill quickly. Where's the weak point? The back? If so, how to survive long enough when enemies are constantly spawning there >.>

Main reason is I want to work on killing zergs. Cut off the source, and the water stops flowing.
  2. Prudentia

non shield or Armor sundies:
    2 C4 + 3 UBGL or 3 Rocklet rifle shots. (UBGL is significantly faster)
    Shield sundies: don't solo them
    Armor sundies: don't solo them
    • Up x 5
  3. The Rogue Wolf

Sunderers don't have "weak points"; only tanks do.

As Prudentia says, Deploy Shield and Blockade Armor Sunderers shouldn't be soloed. Bring friends or pull a vehicle.
    • Up x 2
  4. Doc Jim

Not sure if this has been fixed yet or not, but if you put C4 on the front or back end, the center of the blast would sometimes be so far from the center of the vehicle that you would do less than maximal damage. So I always stick the C4 on the mid section or the roof.
    Also, if you're doing close demolition stuff as an LA you almost have to use the heavy rockets. Two bricks of C4 will start a fire, two full bursts of heavy rockets will finish the job.
    • Up x 1
  5. Lord_Avatar

I was curious about this myself since I haven't been able to play for a few months now. How exactly do post CAI Sundies fare against C-4, mines etc.?
  6. Prudentia

sadly wrong. you need 3 bursts of Typhons and 3 bursts of normal rocklets to finish of a sundy after 2 C4.
    The difference is something like 3 rockets if you use only the Rocklet rifle on Tanks and Sundies both. so if you fire in bursts there is no difference. at ranges where you'd fire single shots the normal rocklets are again simply better because they don't drop like ducks on a gas giant and against Air the normal ones are better anyway.
  7. The Shady Engineer

Unlike tanks, Sundies don't have directional armor. You will deal the same damage regardless of where you hit them.

The Sundies you find harder to kill are either wearing blockade armor or have a deployment shield installed.

Blockade armor will look like additional armor plating welded onto to Sundy, something like this:
    [IMG]

You can spot a Sundy equipped with deployment shield if they have a bright light emitter on their roof. In my example it's red because I'm playing TR. It will be blue for NC or cyan for Vanu.

[IMG]

Blockade armor increases the Sunderer's health by 25% and decreases C4 damage by 40%. Deployment shield gives the Sundy a 2500 hp (+62.5% health increase) layer of shielding that has to be disabled before the vehicle can be damaged. The shield also starts regenerating after 6 seconds of not taking damage so it's recommended to keep shielded Sundy under constant bombardment to prevent that regen.

Long story short, if an armored or shielded Sundy has guard posted around it or a lot of people spawning, chances are you're not going to solo kill it. If it's a smaller fight and the Sundy doesn't have anyone watching it, it is possible for you to kill it. Expect to dump a lot of munitions into it though.
    • Up x 4
  8. Daigons

Between the C4, Rocklets and explosive crossbow bolts, shouldn't that do the trick?
  9. Doc Jim

I don't know where you get this from. I just logged in to see if something had changed, but no, what I said stands.
    2 bricks of C4 on the roof (EDIT: or on the side where the terminals are), blow em up, 2 bursts of 6 Typhoons and the last or second last one makes the Sunderer go splat.
  10. Prudentia

ok i think when i tested that i put the C4 on the nose of the sundy, so that might have been it
    • Up x 1
  11. Liewec123

as someone with that setup (typhoon rocklets too ofcourse!) it takes a really long time,
    you can do it, but the enemies needs to be truly blind or not give a s%%t about the sundy :p
  12. adamts01

This is great to know. I'm fairly new to LA, but even so, I haven't heard about this and I have a cumulative BR of around 240 between 3 characters over a span of almost 2 years. Thanks.
  13. JibbaJabba

Shielded sundies:

C4 each of the equipment terminals but do not detonate.
    Back away to a significant distances and use rocklets to work down the shield. Distance is important so that you can dodge infantry while keeping sustained rocklet fire.
    When you see the shield drop (it will visibly flicker), detonate the C4.
    One more rocket burst will do it.
  14. strikearrow

If you place 1 c4 on each side of the sundy, then it only takes two rocklet salvos to kill it - unless it has shield or armor.
  15. Kerros

Primary Problem: Time-wise it's hard to set those on the terminals because you'd have to be on the ground. Typically speaking, I'm using the hover jetpack to keep flying a fair distance above to avoid being seen as easily, and to place the C4 on the roof. I suppose if I focused on placing the c4 in an area, then I could rocket the other side from above
  16. Valenz

Any Sunderer worth defending will be equipped to resist ****ter birds.

If they're deployed with something that's not deployment shield or blockade armor they deserve to be destroyed.
    • Up x 1
  17. JibbaJabba

Precision isn't essential. You are just looking for two keys:

1. keep the two C4 away from each other... outside their inner radius. If too close to each other they don't seem to "add" right and you get less than 2x damage.
    2. You're trying to get the shield down with rocklets before blowing the C4. When that time comes, the C4 are positioned to kill infantry that may have spawned while you were working. Also (and this will really drag out the kill), if your dodging ain't going so well and you need to detonate early, then again having them positioned to kill spawners is helpful.

You might accomplish much of this with say one on top, one on the back then do your rocklet work from the back side. spawning infantry will be drawn close to your placed c4.
  18. CplRDaWiggy

Maybe its just me, but I'm at the point where I'm thinking the core aspects of this game, which to me are teamwork and objectives, are getting obfuscated by the notion a class supposedly designed for mobility and flanking is capable of dismantling vehicles like they're Chuck Norris with wings.

I'm not saying a LA shouldn't have necessary tools, but I am saying there seems to be a failure of design when a LA can fly off solo with the expressed purpose of doing things that are technically meant to be done as a unit.
  19. LordKrelas

If no one is properly prepared their sunderer, if no one is properly defending their sunderer, if no one is properly intercepting an LA, and if the LA is able to properly get to, arm, and detonate on the target..
    One side has properly failed in numerous checks.

If the sunderer is shield, that alone basically means you can't yolo-park, a vehicle, and be immune to all but a group dedicated to killing it.
    Lets not forget an ESF, is able to do the same to multi-crew vehicles, with them (multi-crew) doing everything perfect.

If you let an LA get behind your forces, and is allowed to operate..
    It shouldn't be brushed off unless you let 5 of them do this.
  20. CplRDaWiggy

I'm not saying I don't do it myself, just pointing out that it appears to operate outside of what the game is ostensibly meant to be.

I agree with you, an unguarded sundy is a big no-no in my book and deserves to be blown up, it just seems to me that LA's do it with greater efficacy and safety than their respective peers.

And I'm sure there was someone who was saying shielded sundies can be taken out with 2 RR barrages and c4 on the terminals. It was this that prompted my response more than anything, as imo that is something that seems excessive if true.
    • Up x 1