Reavers: Are they garbage?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nilithium, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Corezer

OK, before I get to the rest of this, let me just start with the some framework. When I say it's a myth, I am speaking with regard to its context within the game. Functionally, not factually.

What you are saying, is the intellectual equivalent to someone who claims that it's better to get shot behind the ear with a 9mm than it is with a .45

It's a semantic argument that over 99% of the player base lacks the ability to take advantage of.

"crashing on a motorcycle going 127mph is way better for you than crashing on one going 145!"

The worst part is, with the in game unit of measurement (a meter by name only) being so small the difference is even smaller than that!

Like HOLY **** I can't believe how... just bad this post is, I'm actually gonna die laughing at this **** cause I can't breathe.

I would spend even more time laughing at this, but I've got **** to do apparently...

It's not you, I don't think you're a bad player/person, as a matter of fact, you've put out some really good stuff, it's just this line of thinking which I've seen be used for a lot of nonsensical whining.

"The flare is the same thing except OMG it's got .02 more horizontal recoil for only .01 less vertical!" is another one of these that I hear a lot from the VS lol I wonder if they see the reaver being such **** as their compensation for that lol
  2. adamts01

Look dude, Reavers have to take what they can get. They do have a better vertical velocity, and combined with their excellent afterburners they can really rocket up and around another ESF to get a good angle. That vertical thrust combined with the Reaver's incredible afterburners turns a slight vertical thrust velocity advantage in to a thing of legends. It's really the only trick a Reaver has to beat another ESF, so yeah, dedicated Reaver pilots learn it and make it work. You're right that 99% of players can't take advantage of such things, which is why the Reaver is a tier just below dog **** for the vast majority of players. I don't mean to play it up to make this aircraft seem competitive, because it isn't, but it's really the only card it has up its sleeve.
  3. IcEzEbRa

I wouldn't go as far to say they're garbage, and, in most engagements it doesn't really matter. But you don't see as many Reavers out nosegun+AB hunting esf's as you do Scythe and Mossie. With some changes recently, specially Rotaries and now Ext AB for all, the 2 faction traits for Ace dogfighting were weakened on Reaver. On the flip side, I believe it is now the strongest Air v Ground. I've only seen some Reaver pilots successfully take on a skyguard, face to face w/default nosegun and rocket pods or hornets, no surprise *** ganking....I've seen a lot try.

For the OP, using Kestrel is opposite of NC faction noseguns, which includes AH. Higher damage output if really close, and disadvantage if at distance. Consequently, the Reaver is/has been the faction "ambusher", in a fair fight it's in a disadvantage....lol. But a lot of ******** VS and TR pilots and ground vehicles complained ofc. Only a Reaver used to be able to kill a lightning w/2 hornets in the rear, and every single bullet of fully upgraded rotary magazine at close range...not now, Reaver's rotary took a hit, VS and TR got a buff, and hornets were nerfed , along with armor changes.

It's hard, but it's a very cool thing to have the Empire Specific traits and weapons...I honestly think mustang and vortek should get just a bit more dmg before falloff against esf at least. All 3 esf's have their strengths and weaknesses, but also has to mesh with factional equality....like Striker vs Phoenix vs Lancer in the grand scheme of factional differences, but all way different. I think Scythe and Mossie have an edge in a fair fight over Reaver, and Reaver should get just a little bit more of it's edge back in first strike, or nose to nose.
  4. zaspacer

In almost all cases, the most important factors in ESF vs. ESF is pilot skill and/or who has more ESFs.

I've played all 3 ESFs. I beat worse pilots, I lose to better pilots. And I lose when outgunned an win when I have more ESFs on my side. Doesn't matter on the ESF so much.

Sure, sometimes you run up against someone of your skill level, but the skill curve is so wide, that for many of us that doesn't happen that often.

The only really bad ESF vs. ESF loadout is the LPPA.

Reaver also has fastest top speed, which can make the difference in both running away and in getting chased down.

Banshee historically is often either nerfed or OP for farming Infantry. When it is OP, lots of players will use it to farm. And because Banshee is not useless in ESF vs. ESF, Banshee pilots can still win ESF duels if they are better pilots.