Why does Canis get buffed and Gladius nerfed?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by csvfr, Feb 8, 2018.

1. csvfr

The patch notes today mention two buffs to the Canis:
    Best buff in my opinion is the rpm increase - as it directly increases the DPS/decreases the TTK. On the sake of the Gladius, it is nerfed ever so slightly with a decreased capacity magazine. Of course the nerf will be felt as the weapon already has a low capacity magazine:
    I just don't see why the devs would do something like this if not for favoring the VS. Justification from the patchnotes reads:
    However this does not really make sense considering the statistics which clearly indicate that out of the two SMGs, Canis is already the most competitive one:

Canis (http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/6003925)
    • Kills per hour (KPH): 54.4
    • Average Kill/Death ratio after 1000+ kills (KDR - X): 2.24
    Gladius (http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/6003850)
    • Kills per hour (KPH): 50.1
    • Average Kill/Death ratio after 1000+ kills (KDR - X): 2.06
    • Up x 2
  2. Icehole1999

Well, it’s not like they had anywhere left to nerf the Jackal.

Hopefully this gets you NC guys to finally use something else.
    • Up x 2
  3. Prudentia

Because Stock canis is **** and got most of the 54kpm while UA was broken.
    It has the Lowest 1v1 DPS short of the lasher and this buff brings it up to the lowest DPS tied with other low DPS weapons.
    Meanwhile the Gladius is an absolute beast that can 3 shot headshot anything with hipfire within 25m with a bigger mag than other 200dmg weapons and a higher rof than other 200dmg weapons.
    • Up x 4
  4. csvfr

Canis has the highest DPS of all SMGs when its spinup is complete and only suffers damage dropoff after 10m as contrasted with Gladius' 6m. Its not like Gladius can hit a headshot at 25m though, not even when ADS because of the bloom.
    • Up x 1
  5. Prudentia

the Canis has the same DPS as the Gladius after 17 bullets. thats 3000 damage pumped out before canis starts to overtake the gladius.
    at that point it's a full degree less accurate in ADS than the Gladius and 0.6° less accurate in hipfire.
    or you know, 23 bullets before it overtakes the Cyclone in RPM. 4000 damage pumped out at less DPS than the cyclone before it starts to kill faster and 1.15° less accurate in all circumstances.
    at it's highest RPM, after 26 bullets, 2.5 seconds, it just reaches the DPS the Armstice has from the first bullet on, but is 1.3° less accurate than it.
    even for the infamous "Failstorm" it needs 11 bullets, almost 2000 damage dumped down range, before it overtakes the DPS of that
    • Up x 2
  6. Prudentia

also on top of that, Gladius has access to SPA which pushes it's max damage range to 11m while canis has a "built in" one at 10m
    • Up x 1
  7. Jac70

I can never be arsed working out DPS and bloom or whatever else. All I can say is I remember playing with the Canis on release and it was a fun and good weapon. I haven't touched it since the typical over-reaction to the usual whining that happens whenever VS get a new toy.

What I did remember was that I would consistently lose to anyone using a Gladius. Especially an Infiltrator getting in close and then pretty much instakilling anyone near. I could not compete in a 1v1 then, the Gladius was the strongest of the empire SMGs.

Clearly they realise they over-nerfed the Canis hence the buff in this patch. I expect it will now be a completely average SMG :eek:
  8. Prudentia

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15gtGywBGbR6VT0KrMT2DtQXvF6jFDCrAILv3rJNYnkA/edit all the stats and the comparision values are at the bottom. also looks like he already updated that stuff for the new 550 starting rpm
  9. Doc Jim

The changes to the Gladius' magazine capacity won't change much. Considering the low rate of fire, if you're down to the last two or zero rounds in the magazine, you're dead either way. The increase in reserve ammo is nice, but irrelevant.
  10. csvfr

Nonetheless a bit misleading because for most guns, when Canis reaches the point of equal DPS, it is still increasing. So for example in a 1v1 against Cyclone where Canis starts with the rof it has after 23 bullets, it will still win because the 24th + bullets are dished out faster.
  11. Prudentia

24 bullets is 4000 damage, thats enough to kill 4 people if your opponent isn't dead by that point then it wasn't a 1v1. and it already took significantly longer to even reach the 24 bullet. afterall the cyclone only has 25sized mags itself. so your the cyclone user is either already far into his reload by that point or whipped out a pistol or knife
    • Up x 1
  12. csvfr

No just thinking that one or two guys have been killed first then comes the next while the trigger is still held. Otherwise whats the point of comparing the Canis DPS over time to different weapons.
  13. AISkander

Canis got buffed becouse it was good only at a 5m range, IF with Unstable ammo.

a 500rpm 167dmg SMG is moronic, they nerfed its feature and now i'm glad they balanced it again.

Now it's competitive.

And people fail to see that as an SMG, getting more RPM by firing isn't good. Becouse your shots go anywhere but the target
  14. Prudentia

but you just said that in a 1v1 the canis is better because it can keep firing, not that it's better because you can kill the 4th and 5th BR1 player who do not shoot back better while all other SMGs kill the 1st, 2nd and 3rd faster than you do.
    All the starting RPM increase does is make the Canis a more viable 1v1 CQC weapon than the Corvus.
    • Up x 2
  15. csvfr

No I said it's better in a 1v1 where the Canis starts with the rof it has after 23 bullets have been fired. Besides it is always the noobs which come in first and the higher ranked players comes after, using the former as "human shields".
  16. csvfr

500rpm 167dmg is a bit moronic yeah on second thought, if it wasn't for the variable rof that makes it "adaptable" in close range 1v1 ADAD standoffs. Still doesn't justify the nerf to the Gladius, or align with the statistics showing which weapon is best in practice.
  17. Prudentia

but it doesn't start with the rof it has after it fired 23 bullets. and if you've fired those 23 bullets already you are not only entirely visible to everyone who pays attention to the sound of bullets and flying of tracers and the minimap marker, but you are also less accurate than any enemy who engages you by a full degree of CoF
  18. csvfr

The point of my objection was to highlight the fact that saying: "Canis matches the DPS of gun X after Y bullets" is misleading if taking it straight into a 1v1 perspective. For example against the Gladius, where the DPS is met after 17 bullets, or the Cyclone where the DPS is met after 23 bullets, then starting a 1v1 after such a spinup from the Canis, the Canis is still superior.

Rather, in a 1v1 vs the Gladius, the average DPS of the canis on the 16th, 17th, and 18th bullets would equal that of 3 rounds from the Gladius. Generally accounting for misses and such, one could assume 7 or 9 bullets to kill, in which case the Canis might as well start from the 13th or 14th bullet. So for all intents and purposes the Canis practically surpasses the Gladius already after 13-14 bullets.
  19. Prudentia

errr... what? that logic is so backwards it should be given an award for gymnastic brilliance.
    you do NOT start shooting the 15th bullet. you start shooting with the first bullet. if you see an enemy and start shooting the same moment he starts shooting at you, you are at a straight up disadvantage of over 300dps.
    if you know an enemy is coming, for example via a motion spotter. then you have to start shooting MORE THAN A SECOND before they round the corner to get a COMPARABLE DPS, which means they already know you are there and can either just wait till you stop shooting or round the corner knowing exactly where you are and peekers advantage compensates for any DPS you might have gained over them.
    if you want to get SUPERIOR DPS you have to start shooting a full 2 seconds before they round the corner, at which point even if all works out perfectly you'll only have 20 bullets left in your mag to kill them, while they'll have a full 30/40 round mag to combat you.
    an ontop of that all you'll be less accurate than your opponent because of the collected bloom from firing half a mag.
    you said earlier how "innaccurate" the gladius is? it has the same ADS accuracy as the Canis has after firing a single bullet.
    • Up x 1
  20. csvfr

It was not me who came with a table claiming to highlight the amount of bullets the Canis had to shot before it "starts to overtake" or "starts to kill faster", that was you.
    It is not me who have been proven wrong by simple logic but seem unable to face it...