Weapons for low-spec players?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okjoek, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Okjoek

For some of my low-spec friends I usually recommend things like Anti-Vehicle roles, guerrilla tactics, stalker cloaking and construction. But when it's time to get dirty against infantry what are the most forgiving guns to use when the frames are low?

Since RPM is limited by GPU utilization it's probably safe to rule out some of the higher RPM guns. Things like Shotguns and I bet those new VS guns with the unstable ammo might work well for these players. I guess in general anything with exceptional hipfire performance would be good too. What do you recommend?
  2. JibbaJabba

Hm. I guess I have the same thoughts you already had.

Shotguns for sure.
    Spray-n-pray weapons with great hipfire. SMGs, chaingun maybe.
    Things with large magazine size are probably good too. EM6 comes to mind on the NC side.

Sniping might be a good idea too. PS2 does client side hit detection so their framerate/latency won't hurt them on offense. It will kill them on defense though, so a one-sided weapon like a sniper rifle may be effective.

Go explosive heavy as well. Drop one of the usuals from their config and get a bandolier, extra c4, something like that.

Underbarrel launchers kinda suck, but don't suck worse if your framerate is low. That's an option.
    • Up x 1
  3. DarkStarAnubis

Avoid high ROF weapons (SMG and the like) and prefer low ROF/high DMG ones (Pulsar C, Corvus, SABR, Cougar, AMC, AC-X11, Reaper DMR, ...) best suited for medium/long range engagement and therefore avoid CQC where those weapons would suffer.

I think Iridar made some studies and determined that with low FPS the nominal rate of fire of weapons won't be reached.
  4. Rydenan

I'm going to go against the crowd here and say NOT to avoid high-RPM guns. Low framerates will severely hinder your ability to aim, as well as increase your latency substantially. This will make scoring hits with low-RPM guns (which generally require the shooter to be very accurate, since they have lower DPS and TTK values) very difficult.

The RPM penalty at low framerates is very small compared to the DPS you'll lose by choosing a gun that already has lower DPS, and is substantially harder to land shots with on top of that.

So my advice would be to take a spray-n-pray gun, aim in the general direction of the enemy, and hold down fire. You'll get a majority of the DPS, and the CoF will work to your advantage, since your crosshair probably won't be directly on-target (unless you're some kind of aiming savant).

I feel like I've gotten very good with the NC's 200/500 weapons, but on the instances where I've played on a low-spec machine, I've found them extremely difficult to use effectively. Since they have worse DPS and TTK than their rivals, they rely on the user literally having better aim than their opponent. And since aiming is objectively harder with low framerates, I would stay as far away from low-rof weapons as possible.

---

Apart from that, shotguns, especially PA, are a good option, since you don't give the enemy time to shoot back if you do things right. If the enemy gets a chance to respond, you'll be at a significant disadvantage because there's latency telegraphing their actions on your screen, and latency in your response, due to low frames.

Sniper rifles (ranged or CQC) are another option. Like shotguns, the idea is to place the crosshair on-target and secure the kill all in one go. Once you get into 'duels' and trading bullets, you'll be at a significant disadvantage. So the answer is to avoid those situations by killing the enemy before they can even react.
  5. FLHuk

As a user of a very old potato may I suggest the true rage tell inducing option of HESH....

Yesterday a very helpful eastern european national said they believed it will result in my death from rectal cancer and that I should seek urgent medical assistance. Thank you again for taking the time and effort to share your concern sir.
    • Up x 2
  6. Icehole1999

I don’t have low spec PC issues, but do have a pack of kids with devices competing for bandwidth when I play PS2 on PS4.

My weapon of choice for when my fps dips a bit is the Lasher. Put exmag on it and hipfire in huge bursts.

For the times when my connection goes full ****** I pull back and just drop ammo and mines.
  7. The Shady Engineer

I agree with Rydenan.

Depending on how low spec we're talking about too. Between 30 and 60 fps you can play with whatever weapons you want. Low Rof weapons will suffer less from fire rate loss but will also be harder to aim.

Sub 30 fps,like Rydenan said, stick to high Rof weapons and a spray-and-pray approach. Speaking from experience here. I used to play on an i3/GTX 660 machine a few years back, barely pulling 30 fps and playing NC. It is damn near impossible to precise aim at below 30 frames as the game is very jittery. Put your dot on the enemy's head and by the time you pull the trigger, his position already shifted but you didn't see that because your screen didn't update fast enough.

High Rof guns will suffer from fire rate loss but will still perform better than low Rof guns when playing on very low frames.