What's a weapon you'd like to see added in PS2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Devaldus, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Demigan

More like air-droppable tank shells that take the velocity of the aircraft upon release (certable ejection seat for bombs available so momentum isnt used).
    A COF is present to prevent aircraft sitting at flight ceiling above contested area's (like a spawnroom opening) and getting free kills, this also rewards players for closer bombing runs.
    Additional modifier could be speed: higher speed upon release increases direct damage upon hit, best used for anti-tank purposes.
    AI and AP variants should be made. AI has the largest AOE, largest COF and requires multiple bombs to hit nearby for a kill, so due to the COF you would need multiple aircraft doing teamwork or a very low fly-by as you release the bombs. AP would have a lot smaller AOE, smaller COF and the AOE uses AV grenade explosion, so you can damage the target with a miss but for a lot less damage without the direct damage added.
    • Up x 1
  2. Hegeteus

Hmm.. what about a buttload of shotguns for NC?
    • Up x 3
  3. Prudentia

you mean the SABR?
  4. Pikachu

Sniper rifle that fires airburst shotgun grenades.
    • Up x 2
  5. stalkish

Amazing how many of these suggestions were PS1 weapons......
    • Up x 3
  6. Pikachu

Same goes for solutions to problems. "Do this to fix that. Yeah that's how they made it in PS1."
    • Up x 1
  7. DrPapaPenguin

Kinda, but SABR does not fire both rounds at 1800 RPM. AN-94 fires both shots before the recoil of the first one hits, and its burst mode RPM can reach 1800, while the full auto after the first 2 shots returns to normal 600-ish. That means both bullets hit exactly the same spot, with only absolute minimal deviation.

This is a bit drawn out but is fairly informative.
  8. Luicanus

My original concept for the TR and VS variants were devised on a post asking fr the NC version of the weapon. I'd not be opposed to altering the various stats of such weapons as needed to allow for balance. I'm flat out of ideas for another unique ranged fire mode (short of some sort of teleportation).

As I say I'm amenable to adjusting the stats of each of these weapons, the TR Mortar could have it's rate of fire slowed and it's AOE adjusted as the balance requires, I'd rather it not be quite as small as a Python AP but it is supposed to be a primarily AP
    weapon so I'm not expecting it to be shelling infantry with the effectiveness of HESH.
    That being said I was imagining the NC missile taking maybe 10-15 seconds between shots when you account for flight time and reload. the "Rapid rate of fire" of the TR Mortar would be one shot every 4-6 seconds. Granted a team of mortars (especially if these weapons were Sunderer mounted) would be able to launch a serious barrage but that's the point, teamwork makes the dream work. these weapons would be of limited use outside of numbers or finishing damaged/retreating enemies.

Come to think of it I'm actually now rethinking the use of these weapons on MBTs, they'd be better suited to a dedicated artillery unit, failing that the ANT or Sunderer might be more viable units to bear it. I think Harasser would be a bit too far, Especially for the NC Missile which would literally be coming at you from a different direction every time. They're just too fast and tanky to have a long ranged powerful weapon like that too.

I do think you're overestimating the benefits of the TR Mortar though, I doubt it would be useful except on targets that remained stationary for a protracted period of time. I'm imagining it would be controlled by a marker on the ground that rises into the sky (similar to a way-point) and recedes into the distance as you hold the trigger until you release. When firing at targets behind a hill this is guesswork and estimation. When shooting a target in LOS you'd be better off with an AP or HESH tank canon.

VS and NC both get the benefit of actually seeing the target the

Hmm, they could adjust it such that the Slug Ammo becomes free as an alternate ammo type and the cost is replaced by the option to upgrade to rifle bore on the barrels.

Another thought is it would make ZOE useful again, the VS might try for CQC ZOE MAX builds to close the distance quickly.

I'll admit to not being greatly familiar with the MAX game, I have all of around 2 hours in my TR MAX so I might not be the best person to suggest balance in this area.

I was thinking it would be a 250-500 Cert attachment that would replace the laser or Dark-light on the front of a weapon. But would act like a quick melee OHK similar to the power knives can be activated using the same key to toggle the others and when active the use of the quick-melee attack (while the primary weapon is wielded) gives a quick-melee OHK attack. Note that when active they would give sounds similar to how an active power knife works and if you're holding the sidearm (or anything else) your quick attack will be the knife.

They'd each have a unique appearance although these weapons would function essentially identically.

I imagine it would be a plausible attachment for sniper rifles since they currently have no useful front attachment and tend to be vulnerable in CQC.

I'd also like to see cosmetic adjustments to the NS weapons upgrades, ie. VS using (at least some) Vanu Scopes. Ideally I'd like most of the extra parts to be mildly faction specific. Subtly different Suppressors, forward grips, etc.
  9. Luicanus

I had another thought about the TR Mortar as possible way to buff its accuracy (if that was needed for balance) The shells could be made to be Air Burst at say 5-10m above the target shedding a series offragments down into the target area. This generates an AOE effect without the entire Area being hit. If it RNG'd say 5-7 AP fragments, each could have the 0.5-1m Splash, damage profile similar to an AP Python but a reduced damage from the splash and/or Direct damage such that infantry would not be instantly killed unless they happened to get hit by 2 fragments landing close together.

I'm imagining that both the NC options and the VS options would be able to OHK infantry if they hit one. So this might act as a balancing feature.

Alternatively if the Phoenix style Missile was proving unsuitable you could have the Air Burst version of the Mortar be the NC one. Again balancing would need to be done.
    • Up x 1
  10. MonnyMoony

Shoulder mounted secondary weapons for Maxes. Plenty of options could be made available from small mini-gun to nade launchers etc. It would be switchable and would disable primary weapons while active.

A change to nade throwing mechanics. Tap G and you do a short underarm throw/roll. Hold G down and you do an overarm lob.

Switchable charge mode for Lasher - allowing you to unleash a single large charged bolt with a wider area of effect or perhaps an EMP blast.

G30 Walker type AA weapon option for Maxes.
    • Up x 1
  11. Icehole1999

I’d like to see a carbine version of the Archer anti material rifle. Shorter barrel, shorter range, maximum optic of x4. Maybe semi auto.

Also, an RPG launcher that shoots dumb fire frag Grenades. Less damage than a RL, more velocity with a flat trajectory.

How about a chainsaw melee weapon for the TR MAX?

In the spirit of my faction’s trait, I’d like to see a carbine version or AR version of the MCG.

EDIT Also a pistol version of the MCG
  12. OldMaster80

The PS1 Jammer grenade, even if after CAI it would actually be quite OP considered the state of vehicles. It basically disabled vehicles weapons for some time.

Then some other kind of LMG, something hard-hitting but slow-firing.
  13. LordKrelas

Given that it would either be great, or cause terrain to pre-detonate the burst outside of the kill zone, added to the high fire-rate..

NC's could be shot down by a pistol - or would promote the tank hunting infantry, hoping they don't see the missile & don't fire.
    VS... is packing an accurate laser, that isn't as vulnerable - but logical to kill infantry.

Would it be the same ROF, as it would be getting pretty close to either stealing their fire or being a better version due to the theoretical accuracy increase.

Could simply replace NC's camera-guided missile to a laser-guided missile salvo instead.
    Slightly more accurate if used properly, and with practice, able to be indirect fire.
    Also prevents the issue of increased vulnerability during the entire flight, compared to 0 risk & risk at firing start.

-- Also, I like the air-burst mortar concept.
    Perhaps an ammo type available or switch-able in the field, to better deal with infantry clusters.
  14. TR5L4Y3R

Granadelaunchers for medics
    Doom BFG/turok: DH fusioncannon style nanite costing heavyweapon for HA

walkeresk turret for the lightning
  15. CrimsonEpsilon

Bullpup assault rifle.
  16. typnct

a flamethrower
    long range artillery tanks
    a tank with a winter coat or rain coat(anti projectile active/passive system from the idf)
    walker machines with lasers

the ability to dig tunnels or holes in the ground
    basic parkour ability(lazy vault, wall run and a simple climb up)

carry people on my tank(they are sitting on it)
    a tank with laser guided missiles

a vehicle that can shoot drop pods up to 100 meters(on deployment and a 5 sec cooldown between pods LA only)

light patrol vehicle that floats over the terrain(like the magrider)

supression while shots land close to you

exhaustion by running too much

a weapon that has 2000 rpm that is basically a needle gun(slowing down enemies upon hit untill they are healed back up)

• a joint to make the game more colorful
  17. raffa2

The drop pod vehicle is actually an awesome idea.
  18. Luicanus

A Flamer would be nice but hard to implement, do you have it bounce off of walls and splash on contact with people and other objects? If you do it would be a serious lag source, although seriously fun to play with. If you don't it's little more than a non-RNG Shotgun evenly doing damage as a percentage of how much of the target is inside the cross-hairs.

Personally I'd love to see it using proper fluid dynamics, Liquid napalm running down hills until it burns out. You could shoot it into stairwells knowing it would flow down and burn out enemies below. If it was realistic it would also damage armour by getting into the air filters.

Could give rise to a vehicle upgrade that resists fire damage.

I was assuming that the air burst would only occur when it reached it's target point regardless of how close it came to cliffs or trees along the way. Obviously if it hit something it would explode without any air burst.

Hmm, well you could up armour the NC Missile, the trouble is if you make it able to resist too much small arms fire then it becomes impossible to shoot it down without concentrations from multiple sources. But at the same time I concur that a single SMG round at lower than 100 dmg should not be enough to destroy the missile.Where a good balance lies on this matter would need to be found through live testing of such a weapon.

The VS Laser Drone I'm thinking would actually be similar to the current Python HEAT, in so far as it should have a reasonable splash, but as I said it should be able to OHK on a direct hit.

The ROF could be made a little slower or the warhead on the TR version could augmented with a greater splash, it could even be augmented with a concussion effect like the Heavy Assaults grenade rendering infantry and vehicles impacted by the splash disoriented even if they're not close enough to the center of the blast to be killed. Say a 7.5m radius there any vehicle directly hit gets X Direct damage, within 1m radius gives an anti-tank splash that can still do partial "direct damage" to armour.

Adding to that the VS version could be given an EMP effect that helps drain infantry shields and stalls engines for a couple of seconds.

To follow that theme the NC weapon (air burst or Missile) could release a Flashbang effect when it detonates impacting infantry and vehicles within a certain radius of the detonation.

I'm not sure I like this idea, the issue I have is that it's not really an indirect fire weapon, it canbe made to arc around corners but it's not got a reliable enough chance of hitting (non-LOS) to be comparable to the TR and VS options.

As a stand alone NS weapon released alongside these artillery weapons I think it would be a good addition.

Yeah there are a lot of ways to integrate the different ideas, there could be a couple of ammo types for each weapons system similar to HESH and AP allowing the user to pick as needed, although I don't think they should be able to switch between them after it's pulled. It should be exactly like pulling a HESH or AP lightning, once you pull you've got it.
  19. DrPapaPenguin

Gattlingshotgun please :D
  20. DrPapaPenguin

Actually on a side note, not a weapon but I'd like to see HE shells for shotguns.