[Suggestion] Scale defender resources with zerg overpop

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Liewec123, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Liewec123

i recently posted about how DBG have decided to ignore 6 months of warning and made the terrible decision to disable deploying sunderers at your own base, and since i doubt they'll revert their mistake i was thinking about other solutions...

Proposed solution to Zergs:
    my best and favourite solution to the zerg epidemic is to grant a resource bonus to defenders
    based on enemy overpop percentage within that hex.

as it would be a scaling system, if the fight is fair then the resources will be fair,
    but if you bring an 80% overpop to wash over a base and spawn camp,
    except to be met with nade spam, maxes, revive nades and vehicles.

my current plan is to have it ramp up from a small bonus for a small overpop to a huge bonus for a huge overpop.

50-54% overpop, no change
    55-59% overpop, 25 bonus resources per minute.
    60-64% overpop, 50 bonus resources per minute.
    65-69% overpop, 100 bonus resources per minute.
    70-74% overpop, 125 bonus resources per minute.
    75-79% overpop, 150 bonus resources per minute.
    80%+ overpop, 200 bonus resource per minute.

Limitations:
    this would only work while in a hex that your faction owns.
    (so you can't sneak into an enemy hex to abuse the 200 resources.)

perhaps there would be a minimum player count before this takes effect, 30 players for example.
    (so small fights don't see one side getting a resource boost because the other side has one guy more)

perhaps it would only effect the area of the base's no deploy zone.
    (so people cant enter an allied hex that a zerg is ghost capping, sit on the outskirts of the hex to top up their resources and then leave.)

Why add this?:
    i feel like this would both incentivise people to attempt to combat zergs
    (now that we have no tools to combat zergs with, thanks DBG!)
    and also maybe even give them a fighting chance.
    • Up x 4
  2. The Shady Engineer

+1

Very common sense approach to anti-zerg fighting. Always found it interesting how the side with overwhelming numbers has the most "force multipliers" in their ranks. If anything the guys on the receiving end of the 80% overpop zerg need their forces multiplied. A temporary resource boost is a good way to go about it.
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

Why would this be an incentive to attempt to combat zergs?
  4. Endlave

as someone who is always low on nanites from all the mines and vehicles he deploys, a way to do that even more is always welcomed. And given how zergs are mindless accumulations of idiots, getting some multikills with explosives sure is worth suffering one death for.

As it currently stands, though, I can only mine the next base with AI and AV and then am almost completely out, forcing me to deploy somewhere else where I don't need nanites to be effective.
    • Up x 2
  5. FateJH

Regardless, why is is an incentive to fight against zergs? Even the way you frame it would be more of an incentivization to waste time rather than actually fight for base control and you would still need to fall back to the spawn room each time you use one of the nanite-driven resources. At its most generous, all it does is provide a measure of leniency to defenders of a swamped base, not coax the dissenters who are on the other side of the map avoiding the enemy zerg into defenders of this side of the map.

It's not a terrible idea but I don't believe it actually helps with the crucial first part of the "why add this" that the OP lays out.
    Since the words "overpop percentage within that hex" were used, you'd still only be able to mine the next base as much as you currently could and then have to deploy somewhere else. Preparatory trapping while you're actually swamped with enemies would be that much more difficult; and, even if you prepared elsewhere and then went over to the swamped base immediately thereafter, it'd be a little time before the nanite flow ticks. Extending the OP's request to include those "next bases" down the lattice lane could possibly help with the consideration of bringing defending vehicles and potential future efforts with trap-laying like you're talking about.
  6. Liewec123

because its fun spamming nades, its fun c4ing people, its fun mowing people down with max.
    noone bothers trying to fight zergs now because it is NOT fun and is also nigh impossible.

give people endless access to their favourite toys and they will have more of a fighting chance and also have more fun.
    • Up x 1
  7. FateJH

It still feels like we're missing something here. Nothing in this proposal has yet firmly connected the concept of fighting the zerg with the resource benefit of the zerged base.

"Fighting in the base, i.e., either killing enemies or dying to enemies in the hex and getting the option to respawn in the same hex or the adjacent hex, makes one eligible for a generous resource tick." How does that sound as an amendment? I know that runs into issues when trying to reconcile with my previous remark to Endlave about adjacent bases and trap laying but let me put that aside for now. I'm trying to avoid "do nothing resource generator" places.
  8. Liewec123

not bad :)
    everything can be abused but i'm imagining that the majority of players will actually use their resources to contribute. ;)
  9. adamts01

At this point in the game, we need to apply a corresponding resource penalty to the over-pop group. This game needs more competitive fights, and the ***** players this game has attracted need those fights force fed to them.
  10. OldMaster80

Imo the idea in general would work. In practice I am not sure giving more resources would actually have a significant benefit for defenders.

For the very simple reason some play styles are not nanites consuming enough to see the difference: give some players 60 nanites per minute or 600, it's the same.
  11. Liewec123

but every build is made better with nanites :)
    whether its nades, medkits, mines or c4, its all a big boost.

the only playstyle that i can think of that doesn't really have much use for nanites is sniper.
  12. Demigan

First, making everything a discount on the local weapons/vehicles/utilities Pool would prevent most scumming problems with people topping up resources in a zerged zone, it also means that players just arriving will be able to benefit even if they are low on resources, and players will take longer to run out in case of quick deaths after buying vehicles and MAX's.

Second, the game doesnt have enough resource-costing stuff to truly give the outpopped an advantage if they have a high resource income/discount. You could start making things absolutely free in a 2:1 zone and it wouldnt matter enough. So you would have to introduce new resource-costing stuff to make this work. New ammo types like bouncing ammo or ammo that pierces enemies and allows hitting those behind. New magazines like high-cap magazines at 50 resources a use. Resource costing Special abilities like temporarily spawning reserve ammo into your clip to mow down the horde. New utilities like high-powered deployable shields, deployable teleporters that take resources from the players using it with each use, high-powered AV weapons that cost resources each shot like c4, or a use-until-death weapon that will disappear upon respawn similar to a MAX but in your pocket.
    The same could be done for vehicles. Temporary wire-frames over all spotted enemies (infantry and vehicles) so you can follow them behind obstacles. Limited special ammo to be loaded in and fired with the crouch or grenade button, an orbital EMP strike that nerfs vehicles and does the usual to infantry. The list of possibilities goes on.

Third, I think a lot can be gained through safe and more unpredictable exits out of the spawnroom (such as a drop-pod terminal in the spawnroom to drop somewhere in the base, more outpop increases its range) additional capture mechanics, attrition that gives the defenders extra time on the cap timer if they kill enemies while outpopped, spawning those prototype crates out in the open so you have a safe(r) vehicle access that cant be camped as easily etc.

The most important thing would be to make fighting an overpop FUN. If its fun to fight against an overpoo, then being overpopped stops being a problem.
    • Up x 2
  13. OldMaster80

Yes everyone needs nanites, but not everyone needs so many. For instance if you cannot spawn vehicles because your vehicle bay is camped, then you can just abuse max units or the grenade pouch.

I believe the way to go is not buffing the smallest faction, it's debuffing the outnumbering faction. This would also discourage zerging a little bit.
  14. Demigan

Bad idea! Even in a 2:1 scenario, its likely that the opposition had people leave that caused the overpop. So more than 50% of the zerg would be punished without it being their fault that the overpop happened. This kind of arbitrary "and now you are punished" is a terrible way to balance it out.

Key should always, always be to encourage players to play the game, regardless of overpop or not. Most of the zerglings cant help that their allies joined and caused the overpop and screwing them over until someone leaves is not a good experience for anyone playing the game. Change the mechanics so people dont care about KD, make sure theres always multiple paths to choose from to Engage the enemy and get victory regardless of overpops. If necessary you give the outpopped players access to things like the Colossus tank and let them wreak havoc with that. Anything is better than arbitrary punishment for something the lionshare of players didnt even have a hand in creating.
  15. Liewec123

but the outnumbering faction don't need resources, when they're spawn camping you with 80% overpop.
    even if you stop their resources entirely they will still spawn camp you ;)
    giving the defenders the ability to max crash or nade/c4 spam would be more effective i think (and fun!)
    • Up x 1