Is the Canis overpowered ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dotfuscator, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Skraggz

Seems some of these ppl thought the legit got skill the day these weapons released... Canis was broken, needed a fix, was this the right one? who knows, I'm sure they will monitor it more.
  2. JibbaJabba

The complaining is getting pretty epic.

Guys you knew good and well UA was OP the moment you first started playing with it in VR. Confirmed shortly thereafter during your first in-room encounter with an enemy. Stop trying to play dumb.

Word spread like wildfire, and people who were on the fence about a new purchase rushed in to get some of that free headshot action.

Soon the majority of VS players were using it. Semi-retired folks popped back into the game (on all three factions) to check out the new guns. Then the slaughter began. VS began winning alerts. All of them (with off peak hours exceptions). TR and NC adjusted, started engaging everyone at longer ranges and this was effective... but bases can't be capped without going inside a room to the effective range of the UA...

Unskilled players were doing very well.

Skilled players were going on rampages. Melting rows of enemies in a single clip.

TR and NC players that had VS characters started jumping over to try it out. VS server (not continent) populations were hitting 40% on Emerald at times.

I admit that I participated in the blood gorging myself. I did a few hours with UA and it was sickeningly glorious.

Now the jig is up. Had this **** gone on through the holidays, people would start quitting. This had to be fixed.

So now we get the whiners. Have you no shame? You and I both participated in the blood gorging. We knew it was wrong but didn't care.

And some people want a refund?? Man, I know I already got my moneys worth in just a few days. Let the nerf stick fall, let it fall hard.
    • Up x 2
  3. Drsexxytime

Daybreak Games released a broken OP gun knowingly to cash in, just to nerf it, no utterly destroy it within a week.

Them NOT giving refunds speaks volumes of this developer. Might as well sell out to EA or Actiblizzard with these actions.
  4. JibbaJabba

...and you all bought a broken OP gun, knowing it was OP at the time you bought it.

Don't claim ignorance.

I know I certainly knew it was OP when I bought it. It's kinda why I did frankly.
    • Up x 5
  5. Drsexxytime

So you have people that bought it knowingly, and some that don't know the back story, just that it looked and sounded awesome, while killed very fast and balanced out the lag wizards.

The real story here is Daybreak Games knew the state of the gun when they released it into the wild, signaling they knew people would buy it up, just to nerf it into oblivion one week later. Not getting even close to what you paid for. This is something we should not let a developer get away with.
  6. JibbaJabba

I got a refund on one item, once.

It was the railjack. I bought it and it was nerfed before I could ever use it in battle. Sony (at the time) refunded me the station cash.

With the Canis and UA, I'm not even bothering to ask. I still have the gun and it's still useful. I got sinful use out of it while it was OP. No complaints.
    • Up x 3
  7. Razeel

Honest and imho true opinion without bias +1 here man.
    • Up x 2
  8. Shalom

Is the Canis overpowered? ... Killing with two head shots - even in mid-range, i had try it out in vr at a lot of trys - in combination with "bigger" shots aka adad-counter/auto-head-aiming - in feels like a 100% bigger head-hitbox, even you aim to the body at the upper part of the chest u got an headshot - and the biggest mag-size - normally the TR es-advantage - is definitely overpowered.

No question ... i like to play the canis as it was on my vs light assault. And as i'm an not a good player - an k/d round about 1,5 actually at a session (with a carnis equiped it was between 2,5 and 3) - i think it is not too strong for the other factions. But it is another way, if a really good-player use a carnis. I realize this as playing my tr- and nc-characters vs vanu ... even against enemys - one or two u know over the time ;) - where I had normally a 50% chance to win the 1 vs 1 ... if he was equiped with a canis, 100% loose all the time ... except i shot first from to the backside, but sometimes not even then. ^^

A nerf was absolutely necessary. I think the canis with ua will stay a good and usefull cqc-weapon despite the nerf.
    • Up x 1
  9. Xada

I played it for an hour and felt dirty afterword, dirtier than usual after playing vs.
    • Up x 3
  10. Prudentia

you are supposed to apply the lubricant on the inside of the spandex, not the outside. that just makes dirt stick to it.
  11. LordKrelas

An SMG that could score head-shots while any other bullet would miss entirely or hit the chest... is refreshing?
    Semi-retired vets came back for the ability to land head-shots easily not the new ES appeal?

Yes they die eventually.
    Canis did not improve their health, it ensured accuracy as pointless - Missing is hard apparently.

How to kill a Scatter Max: a little bit of distance, and the RNG gods even at 15 meters are the sole source of "will it kill"
    After 6 shots, it also has the longest reload, in which you can just gun it down if it ain't running.
    Fear the RNG shotgun, unless not right in its face..

The fact that NC or TR would get used to being nuked by the Canis, isn't much of a point.
    The same could be said of the LOL-Pods, or of the original gate-keeper.
    It's hard to say what NC weapon specifically, would "get used to" in the field of "You have barely a prayer" outside of RNG.

VS's top player for cobalt, is a LMG guy then.
    Whom engages at LMG ranges.. with an infinite ammo highly accurate LMG, that has no reloading time.
    Why in hell would an LMG user of that level, bother with anything less than the best directive LMG?

Harassers are presently murderously hard to kill right now.
    Why would they bother with the Canis? The Harasser already is giving them a hard-on.

Apparently Cobalt doesn't have a use for aim-for-chest hit-the-head, to aim far left or right of the head, score a hit gameplay.

You found it refreshing to be engaged by a weapon, that literally has the easiest time landing a head-shot for extra damage, and hitting regardless of the movement of the enemy, with a min damage range of 10 instead of 8 meters?
    This is akin to saying "I like a challenge to kill the enemy, whom can't miss me but I can miss him." as balanced..

Tengu is an SMG with shotgun characteristics.
    Think about it.
    A Canis, was able to hit the head with barely a thought given to accuracy needed, for all the perks of landing the shot.
    How is it refreshing exactly?
    The fact the enemy can nail headshots with ease, without needing skill?
  12. raffa2

Considering the type of players that are attracted by Vanu, i think DBG pretty much had a safe bet by releasing the Canis in that state for the first two days.
  13. breeje

yes the Canis seems a bit OP but this is only cause everyone is using it and in skilled hands it's one bad azz mother****er (doing bad stuff to you're mommy)
    we all know the good players have the certs to buy and upgrade it on the first day and these are the players who kill you within seconds
    if DBG nerf the Canis it will be a worthless weapon for the average player
    the weapon is a perfect starter for new players, so in stad of nerfing it, just give unstable ammo to all factions and all weapons
    just my thoughts, maybe not the perfect solution but better then nerfing the hell out of it
  14. LtBomber1

Dear planetmen:
    Once and for all: The conis is NOT OP!
    The gun itself is medicore at best, outclassed by hipfire Sirius/Eridani in every aspect. Unstable ammo (UA) is what it makes the gun work at all, and it is over the top. The reduction of the headshot multiplier is a good way to go, but it was overnerfed.
  15. freeAmerish

By deffault they all share the same stats for hipfire accuracy.
  16. LtBomber1

Grrrr: [...] in nearly every aspect!
  17. freeAmerish

I forgot damage per magazine.
    Eridani=3575, Sirius=6250, Canis=6680 this is the second best damage per magazine for all SMGs, which only can beat Hailstorm with 7500.
    Also Canis got this very fast short reload from Eridani of 1.74 seconds, which is the best for all SMGs in the game paired with this big magazine.
  18. LtBomber1

Grrr²: NEARLY !
    DPM does mean peeps if you can not kill in time.
    Reload gives more uptime, but it does mean (you get it).

You can not expect someone to prefire 2.5 seconds in order to spin up, then kill withing 9 bullets and make use of the fast reload on the last one. This sounds like madness! Is this supposed to be a mini lasher? Then i want some splash damage!!
    Every SMG can outgun this!
  19. freeAmerish

No, it´s more the MCG of SMGs. They could add 10 more bullets to the magazine...

Well, I think they should remove unstable ammo and refund the 200certs for it. Along with this they should redesign the complete weapon.
  20. JibbaJabba

Not to sound harsh, but somebody has to be on the bottom. This was true even when the UA put the Canis on top. Heck, I want my faction to have all the good stuff. We all do. It would ruin the game though. /shrug