How would YOU change the new SMGs?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Campagne, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Campagne

How would you change them, and why? Would you even change them? Only one or two?

I imagine the devs. are looking at them and we'll see some adjustments sooner rather than later. However, it's very likely that any and all changes made wouldn't align themselves with each of our individual opinions on the weapons themselves and how they might be altered or improved.

At least no one could say we picked them up quietly.

[IMG]

Damage: 200/6m/112/50m --> 200/10m/167/50m
    Aim Accuracy: 0.35/0.35/0.35/0.35/0.07 --> 0.1/0.1/0.1/0.1/0.07

Doing so would increase the usefulness at range while not having a significant impact in short range. Ideally this would make the Gladius more of a sidegrade to the other SMGs and 200/500RPM guns; This would still leave it inferior to a Cyclone in close quarters, and inferior to the AC-X11 & co. outside of 10 meters.

[IMG]

Damage: 167/6m/100/46m --> 167/6m/100/50m
    Muzzle Velocity: 350m/s --> 375m/s
    Ammunition: 30/230 --> 40/240
    BX Adapter: 21/9x --> 22/18x
    BX Adapter Accuracy: 1/1.5/1/1.5/0.06/Spread = 2 --> 2/2.5/2/2.5/0/Spread = 2
    Vertical Recoil: 0.15 --> 0.2
    Horizontal Recoil: 0.3/0.35/Tolerance = 0.6 --> 0.25/0.4/Tolerance = 0.6

Being a TR weapon, it should be all about the dakka! Therefore, increased magazine size and reserve ammo, double the BX burst size, and lower accuracy. The goal of these changes would be to make the Jackal a bit more interesting and less like a Cyclone.

[IMG]

Fire Rate: Charge-up, 667/500 RPM --> Static 600RPM
    Damage: 167/10m/100/46m --> 167/6m/100/50m
    Muzzle Velocity: 375m/s --> 350m/s
    Ammunition: 40/240 --> 30/230
    Unstable Ammunition: Increased projectile size, +66% starting CoF --> 0.5m AoE on impact = full damage after damage drop/does not trigger on successful hits to infantry or light vehicles, 500RPM

This would bring in the weapon's stats and take away the faction traits it shouldn't have. Removal of the charge-up increases the weapon's uniformity. Unstable ammo gives the weapon a pseudo Lasher effect without adding extra damage and gives it a RoF penalty, so that like the other two unique attachments, it is not a direct upgrade to the base.

Note: Pending live testing, all values may be subject to change. If nothing is listed, assume no change.

Source for all data not listed here: http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Submachine_Guns

I've asked your thoughts and given my own. If I were the one whom decided upon the changes, this would be how I would do them. Now if you would, indulge my curiosity one more time... What might you do, if anything?
  2. UberNoob1337101

I approve of the Gladius buffs, but a little reduced. Considering that SPRW ammo exists, with the buffs you're giving it on the damage drop-off and accuracy, it would be a better Gauss Saw for infils. I'd be content with 200-143 max/min damage...
    ...or make it a 250dmg/400 RPM automatic. Why not? Perhaps even an attachment that converts it into a 334dmg/270 RPM that also increases recoil drastically.

Now, if I could alter the Jackal, I'd make it into a PPSh : 70 rounds in mag, 1000 RPM (I'd go further, but it's said the engine can't handle it), 112dmg, option to increase mag size to 100 but increasing reload to 7 or so seconds. The burst mechanic could be a 10-round burst selective fire mode with slightly reduced recoil and RoF. Shotgun mode is fun but doesn't really fit the faction as well IMO.

The Canis... I really don't know. Hitscan heat mechanic laser? Corossive plasma launcher? Upgrade that gives it Lasher-like AoE?

If the weapon isn't changed all that much, then the special "worse recoil but faster long reload" upgrade nobody uses reduces all reloads to 1 second. Spin-up mechanic could be exchanged for a power gauge that boosts RoF and dmg, passively increasing when not firing and rapidly decreasing while firing, so it's a duelist weapon that has a more noticeable benefit than a spin-up, but falls short in prolonged fights.
    • Up x 1
  3. Campagne

I don't really think that would be too huge of a concern for infiltrators given some of the equipment they already have, but I suppose you do have a fair point. 200/10m/143/50m would probably be a bit better.

And after thinking about it, might as well boost the Jackal & Canis' min damage up to 112 at 50m from 100.
  4. Rydenan

I agree that the Gladius needs more accuracy. The 200/500 (or in this case, 200/522) damage model has inferior TTK, HS TTK, and DPS, and thus relies on accuracy to make up for these disadvantages. It doesn't make sense that Gladius is the most inaccurate aimed primary in the game.
    • Up x 2
  5. Drsexxytime

NC wanting buffs to NC weapon, nerfs to the rest. New and exicitng news! Gladius is useful as is. As is the Jackal. And the drawbacks to the Canis make it situational as is. Any changes will make it useless and lose it's flavor. Period.
  6. LordKrelas

What is this flavor?
    The TR clip size?
    TR Spin-up & Fire-rate?
    The lovely range?

VS traits of AOA?
    VS Trait of no-bullet-drop?
    Rapid reload?

What is NC's Gladius usefulness?
    The damge-drop-off?
    The Velocity?
    Like what is it?
    Accuracy? lol...

TR's?
    Jackal's 9-shot burst is mostly useful for an ambush or first-strike.
    It ain't comparable to the Spray & Head-shot.. either.

As the 'flavor' of this VS SMG, is basically TR, with VS additions...
    • Up x 2
  7. csvfr

It is the trait of being OP easy-mode farming weapons in close-range 1vN situations compared to the other factions. Take the starting LMGs for instance, same thing there with the Orion having the best hipfire and shared best DPS. Also the unstable ammo being somewhat unconventional that is typical of VS.

The Gladius on the other hand addresses the most common frustration and weakness of the other 200 DMG models (SAW, AC-X11, Reaper), being subpar hipfire accuracy. That is appreciable, and I don't think it needs effectiveness at range or better ADS accuracy because that role is already filled by the other weapons.

The Jackal has the TRs visuals/animation traits with its spinning barrels.

On the topic, I think 167 DMG is a bit too much for the TR and VS weapons and should be reduced. However if it is so that there are several ES weapons in line, it may be possible to balance out Canis' OPness with those. For example an LMG with air-burst munitions for the TR, which can take out enemies behind cover. Or a BASR with 'headshot seeking' projectiles for the NC, which kills enemies regardless of any stochastic motion.
  8. LordKrelas

The SMG's are the first of the new line of ES weapons being released.
    A LMG, a Sniper, a Carbine, an SMG, if I recall.

An LMG with air-burst sounds.. hellish.
    As does head-seeking shots, but I can see why your examples are like this.
  9. HAXTIME

167 is way too much, in my opinion, for an SMG, for 600m/s velocity. This damage model is better than high-damage carbines, with incomparably more projectile velocity. I would instead push out the minimum damage range considerably.

With double burst size, it would do 3000 damage. Assuming wounded enemies during a firefight, this thing would be capable of slaughtering 3 people in a single burst. Instead, I would add a minor buff to the spin-up time, perhaps reduce it by 0.1 seconds or so.

I would also only add an exotic 35 mag-size, further increased by Extended Mags attachment to 40. This would make Extended Mags TR-unique for the new SMGs arsenal.

These look good.
    • Up x 1
  10. freeAmerish

A TR SMG should be 800rpm X 143dmg.

And why you guys come often with Cyclone when comparing Jackal? This thing is more like a SMGed AF-19 Mercenary.