[BUG] Need help with a connection issue

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BarnsBroadside, Dec 1, 2017.

1. BarnsBroadside

Hi forums, I'm having a problem connecting for more than 20 seconds on any server, with any character or account. I have a ticket open on dgcissuetracker.com, but so far the progress is slow, and the last thing they suggested was a youtube video from 2014 that is no longer applicable.

So I thought I'd see if any forumers had this issue or knew a solution.

First, I should point out that I first installed and played 64 hours worth PS2 about 8-12 months ago with no problems at all. Then I decided to pick it up again a few days ago, and have not been able to stay connected even once yet even though the game is up to date.

The Problem: 9 times out of 10, I load onto the planet or VR Training, but I cannot interact with base terminals to change class or buy vehicles. I don't even see the tool tip to press the interact button when I walk up close to them. Then after 10-20 seconds, I get a disconnection from server notice, and am returned to desktop when I click ok.

The other time, I crash to desktop before the planet/vr loads, and I get a web browser window showing me Error Code G9.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled several times from both Daybreak and through Steam with no success.

I have tried multiple characters, servers, and even created a new account, all with the same result.

Windows and VC drivers are up to date.

PS2 and the Launcher are not blocked by firewall.

I am running the 64 bit version of PS2.

System:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    i5-2400 cpu @ 3.1 ghz
    8 gig ram
    nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    cable internet with 50+ mbps download, about 10 mbps upload.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. stalkish

Have you tried verifying your game files?

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/218088677-How-do-I-validate-game-files-
    Validate Game Assets through the launchpad
    • Run the LaunchPad and log in, but do not press play.
    • Click on the Advanced Tools icon (looks like a gear) in the lower left and and choose Validate Game Assets.
    • Press the green Validate button to have the LaunchPad check your game files and download any missing or corrupt files.
    Nevermind, i see youve re-installed, sorry didnt read thoroughly enough first time.
  3. Eternaloptimist

You've done the rights things - the error codes list for PS2 finishes by saying to contact technical support if the problem persists after uninstalling and reinstalling
  4. Towie

You say you can't interact with the terminal - what are the other players around you doing ? Do they move normally ? Are there any other players at all ?

If your client doesn't receive info from the server, characters will continue doing what they were doing at the point of disconnection. So someone walking stairs will continue to move in that direction - even when the stairs run out ! PS2 doesn't come up with the disconnect message straight away.

It is possible that your computer isn't receiving anything at all from the server rather than having 10-20 seconds of 'everything ok', in which case, nothing is getting through - try disabling the firewall altogether maybe or try to ping the PS2 servers directly.
  5. adamts01

I have similar problems when my internet goes to ****.
    • Do you have problems with other games?
    • Are you using wifi or ethernet?
    • Have you tried disabling firewalls?
    • What is your ping and latency when you hit "tab" in game?
    • Open task manager before you start the game and look to see if anything is maxing out, hard drive possibly. My game ran like crap and maxed out the hard drive due to virtual memory before I stepped up to 16gb of ram from 8, but I think Windows 10 was the problem, it sucks up soo many resources compared to Windows 7.
  6. BarnsBroadside

I see other players but they aren't moving, or they're twitching in place.
  7. BarnsBroadside

Not having problems with other games that I know of. I have been playing RS2 vietnam the last 2 days with no problems in 64 player servers.

I am using a wifi router but my pc is hard wired to it.

PS2 and Launchpad have Firewall permissions.

I'll need to check the other stuff.
  8. adamts01

Try to disable all firewalls just to check. Do a speed test just to make sure you're getting a stable signal, maybe it's a bad cord. You've got awesome internet but that problem sounds exactly like what happens to me when my speed drops too low and I can't move enough data.
  9. BarnsBroadside

I did several different speed checks and they all put me between 50-70mbps.

Nothing seems to be maxing out when I launch the game, or while it's running on the character selection screen. I have 316 gigs free out of 931 on my hard drive. With the game running in the character selection screen, I'm using about 3 of my 8 megs ram.

According to the game, I'm getting good ping (45-ish) and connection. While I was checking it, the "Disconnected from Server" message came up behind the Tab window showing me my great connection.

Turning firewalls totally off didn't help either.
  10. adamts01

I don't know. Good luck.
  11. ChUnKiFieR

Time to consider a complete system reinstall of Windows paying special attention to having the exact network adapter driver required. The problem isn't the game or your rig that I can see. It looks to be of sufficient stature to run the game. Not on ultra, but run none the less. Since most everyone isn't having your problem, we can safely eliminate the game itself. That just leaves Windows as the culprit.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”
  12. Humoreske

Please check the network adaptor setting. In particular, "jumbo frame" often causes trouble.
  13. JibbaJabba

Ultimately it's two black boxes connected by a dotted line.

One black box is the server and nobody else is having trouble. There is a possibility of a corrupted account or similar. You could eliminate this by spinning up a new account under a new email.

The other black box is your client. Reinstall the app of course. If there are deeper issues with windows itself, it would likely manifest elsewhere. That remains a possibility but a slim one. Check your eventlogs but otherwise Ignore for now, return to it when other options are gone.

The dotted line is the most likely culprit.

The high probability of a repro combined with the short time-to-failure makes a good old fashioned network capture the perfect tool. I'm not sure if you have the kung-fu to install Wireshark or similar but that's what I would recommend. I'm pretty sure the game is wholly TCP, but UDP is a possibility. If TCP it should be pretty obvious what is going on:

Look for broken TCP connections.
    Retransmit until failure?
    Is there a sudden TCP reset?
    • If so look at the packets sent just prior. You can't "read" the prior packets as they are some game language you can't under stand. You can see the punctuation though. A push flag indicates a question mark or period. If the reset is just after, it indicates the network is fine but something about that sentence wasn't liked by the other party. (this is a bit dicey though... online games will push flag every game packet for speed. It may be occurring in a secondary server connection though)
    • Also look at the time on a TCP reset. If you are 50ms away from the server but the reset comes 5ms after the previous packet was sent then it indicates something on your network or ISP sent the reset, not the server.
    Also look for signs that the client application isn't responding to packets because it isn't seeing them. Network captures sit below the local firewall in the IP stack. Packets arriving in the network trace but getting no obvious response indicates the local firewall dropped them after the capture recorded, but before they reached the app.

I have such kung-fu but I do it for a living and don't do it when I'm off work. :p Others have the kung-fu though, ask your IT buddies.
  14. BarnsBroadside

Jumbo frame is disabled. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at with the others to know if they would be a problem.
  15. BarnsBroadside

I

I don't know much kung fu, but I did actually do a TCP/IP reset yesterday while trying to figure out if I had a proxy runniing (I don't as far as I can tell). And I don't have problems with anything else on the internet including other games, so I feel like it's gotta be something in my internet settings that the game doesn't like. I've already tried totally disabling my firewall with no success, but PS2 always had permission anyway.

The only system changes really since I played PS2 before are a new modem, and a wireless router where previously I had no router.

I've dealt with packet loss in other games, although it was always a problem with those games servers that affected all players, and those problems were always small drops or glitches without a disconnect from the games. This seams more like I'm getting a snapshot of the server that I can see for a short time but never actually connect to.
  16. adamts01

Have you tried plugging your PC directly in to the modem?
  17. BarnsBroadside

I can't connect to the internet that way, and iirc, it requires a call to Comcast to change because I use my own modem instead of theirs. If it is something in my router settings, I'm kinda stuck because I lost the password to access them.

There's a limit to how much I'm willing to do for PS2 when other games work fine. I lost interest in it after 64 hours before, and was just looking to give it another try, but it wasn't ever my favorite game or anything.

But thanks anyway. You guys already provided more help than I got so far on the bug reporting site.
  18. adamts01

If you hold down the reset button the router will go back to factory settings with the default password and everything.
  19. JibbaJabba

mmm, not quite what I meant. TCP reset I'm talking about is an actual individual packet on the network with a particular flag in the header. This is network trace/capture type stuff.

If you don't have an IT friend that can do this, the brute force troubleshooting of that "dotted line" is where you'll go.

So there is a whole stack of things.. ISP, Their local router in your home, and any personal routers/switches you have. Then at your node, you've got the NIC, it's drivers, and anything in the IRP stack for it. This is going to include local firewall software, or antivirus software that has a network component. Finally, TCP/IP settings.

You'll need to eliminate these one at a time or in chunks. Getting a direct connection from your NIC to their router would be a start. Firewalls and local security software typically needs removed to actually get it out of the IRP stack or IP stack. It can be immediately reinstalled if it doesn't resolve the issue.

An MSConfig clean boot (can probably look that up somewhere) might not be a bad idea.
  20. BluestrikeUK

Hi all,
    This is my first post so please be gentle!
    I've been playing PS2 for a few months now but since 01/12/17 I can't play. This was the day my PC had it's Windows 10 update!!
    I get to the region log in page and all is ok, it starts loading up but as soon as I get to a Region or VR Training, I am immediately disconnected. I have switched off ALL security but still no joy. I have tried to uninstall but it said I have to contact yourselves due to an "Unusual Runtime" issue??? I really need help please as all I want to do is play as before.

PC version running Win 10. BT Fibre hardwired at a constant 50mbps.

Kind regards.