Advise for Daybreak

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Darkwulf, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Darkwulf

I just returned as a free player the other day. I took about 6 month to a year off. Maybe longer, I am not sure.

Advise - If I did not have to CLAIM my DBC every month I would have stayed subscribed the entire time I took a break. Same thing for daily certs.

I know I am not the only person who feels this way and I know you are throwing away a lot of cash. Maybe Daybreak doesn't need the extra cash?
    • Up x 1
  2. BorgUK1of9

Agreed, I have to admit losing 500 DBC on several months when taking a break, it is what made me cancel my 12 month recurring sub.
  3. FateJH

So instead of continuing to earn DBC for when you finally returned to the game, you chose a path where you wouldn't continue to earn DBC while not playing the game?
  4. OgreMarkX

DBG game design just isnt very good. Period. For the cash, you have to log in and "collect" it....even though you are AUTOBILLED for your account. Unless you close it.

It's a terrible design.

DBG, I've played EQ since release and I like PS2, but you guys...

Someone really needs to put the house in order.
    • Up x 1
  5. Eternaloptimist

If you miss the grace period for collecting DBC for unavoidable reasons, like being unable to access the internet/game and not having a friend to log in for you to claim the DBC when you're on holiday then I can see the reason for the complaint.

But if someone repeatedly forgets or simply CBA to log in for a month after each DBC is allocated when they are able to (or fails to cancel their subscription when they are not playing) then my sympathy wanes.

I'm a bit old-fashioned and do not fully understand the modern day concept shared by some people of having to do nothing to obtain anything :eek:

This sounds a bit like the argument for having contactless credit cards, so that people don't have to go to the massive inconvenience of remembering four numbers, or the huge waste of maybe four seconds of their life to punch them into a machine, despite their increased risk of fraud.................
    • Up x 1
  6. Movoza

It is a bonus that is meant to push you to return to the game. The keywords here are bonus and return to the game. If you don't return, you don't get the bonus.

This mechanic keeps many more players with the game and adding more revenue than the few that are suddenly appalled if they don't get their bonus automatically. In addition, you know this when purchasing the membership. You get the DBC bonus if you enter the game, you don't otherwise. How is this a vexing point for you?
  7. AuraBliss

the way it worked is just the day before you started your next month you had to claim your dbg cash or miss out on it including the certs.

In away I can see why.. Don't want someone to just afk gain wealth and then come back and buy a bunch of stuff.. I mean why do it that way right it doesn't make as much money.
  8. Darkwulf

I understand why they have this model in place, to attempt to force people on the game to collect their certs or cash.

The reality is, it does the opposite. I either have time to play or I don't. If I have time I play regardless of the in game bonus. So the way I see it is I am just not getting what I am paying for, which is the daily certs or monthly cash.

I think Daybreak needs money more than anything at this point. This is a poor attempt to gain players logging in daily that is costing them reliable monthly income.
  9. Movoza

I think that you're just projecting your frustration onto every player, while in reality it isn't as bad. Your own feelings aren't proof of anything and experience bias kicks in too hard.
  10. Cymric

You do realize that when Planetside 2 launched, the monthly 500 DBC are auto deposited into your account without inconveniencing the player to manually claim it?

I was told that they change the system so that the accounting will look better on their books, regardless, clearly this is done to benefit the company and not the consumer.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside...r_membership_will_not_be_granted_dbc/dm85v0q/
  11. Eternaloptimist

It still hardly seems to be any kind of problem the way things are now unless someone genuinely can't get access to their account for a month or more. I just claimed mine..............took all of three seconds.
  12. FateJH

If he did know about it, one would assume that he adjudged the change sensible; and, if he did know about it, he would still think that sensible. That is what he just said. Players make that kind of argument - that something should have never been a certain way from the beginning and that a certain change is how it should have "always been" - when talking about other facets of the game.
  13. stalkish

To all reading this:

Imagine for a second you submit a metre reading for electricity used to your elec company, due to various reasons you hadnt submitted a reading for 12 months (this does happen, ive just done it, for the second time).
    When your elec company gets the updated reading they realise your monthly direct debit is over-covering the electricity used by about £10 per month.
    When you ask for a refund they tell you that youve actualy already paid for the electic, even tho you havent used it, and no refund is available.
    Would you accept this?

Simple honest yes/no answer is all thats required.
    If your answer is 'no' please also explain why this is appropriate behaviour for a game studio?

Wow, just wow, are you for real?

Not do anything??
    Care to re-think that line of thought?
    Hint: i paid them money, thats not doing nothing.

Cant quite belive the level of fanboism on these forums whenever some1 brings this up.
    Daybreak, along with other game studios who do this sort of thing, are doing nothing more than stealing your money.

Kinda reminds me of the 12 month gym membership direct debits, and how theyre now forced to refund the money if the person doesnt use the gym......
  14. Eternaloptimist

Yes, I pay sub too - I just claimed my DBC..............took all of three seconds.
  15. FateJH

I would answer "no" because that's the exchange agreed to with the electric company. You pay money for money for a calculated amount of electricity that is extracted from their system. The products of exchange are the electricity and the money (and probably something about "support"). If there are issues over pricing that you feel are improper, you begin a legal process. Now, that said, a court might look at your lack of issue with submitting a reading as a matter of forgoing responsibility and determine that the company was in their authority to charge you. That is neither here no there. Money for a certain extract of power and no more and it is your personal obligation to hold that contract to the company if you believe it is being violated.

With DBG, it's money for tokens directly or money for an account. The tokens are only worth their monetary value at the time of purchase and after that, internal to the store, DBG sets the exchange however they want. In terms of the account, the tokens are just an aspect of the deal that is still under DBG's control and is, even still, behind the account. You get the account on way or another, the same way you get so many game tokens for so much money. If you didn't get an account or didn't get the appropriate number of game tokens, that's when you have significant altitude in dealing with the process legally.

Edit: I removed my example because I didn't like it. I'll come up with an example that's more "service warranty" in nature in the future.
  16. stalkish

No, a court of law would favour on the side of the customer, unless that customer is a business (personal experience and that of a client). I know this for a fact.

You cant say, but thats what was agreed, as we're here talking about the agreement.

If the energy company gave you the other sort of agreement(where they dont have to refund for over estimated readings), would you have accepted it in the first place?
    Im guessing no.
    Why do you accept it for game studios?

Its high time the gaming industry was held accountable for itself and made to hold up to the sorts of regulations governing all the other industries.
    The law needs to catch up.
  17. FateJH

No, I don't understand what you're talking about.
  18. stalkish

Its quite simple (well in my messed up head it is lol), you pay £30 per month for electricity, when realising youve only used £20 worth you ask for a refund.
    The energy company says no, and gives the reason; 'you didnt submit meter readings'.

So we have a per month cost taken - electric direct debit / game monthly membership.
    We have something you have to do each month - submit meter readings / claim daybreak cash in-game.
    We have refusal to honour whats been paid for - elec company wont give refund or credit against account (in other words wont give you the £120 worth of electric you paid for) / daybreak wont award cash.

If the energy company said to you before you signed the contract 'if you fail to give meter readings we'll estimate and thats final' would you have signed the contract, or would you have said, 'f-you im not paying you for elec i dont use!'?

Why do you accept this from game studios?

What me, and presumably OP are asking is, should daybreak change their policy and award cash each month regardless of pressing a button in-game?
    Should it be like the awarded certs and just be granted when you login, no additional press needed?
    Should it be added to your account without the need for anything?
  19. FateJH

I do not agree with this association. It is not the same sort of arrangement nor is it close to the same sort of infraction. The products are electricity and money, charged at a certain rate, and a Daybreak account and money, charged on a certain rate. If you do not get the electricity or the account for the respective rate at the time of purchase, or at a proper recalculation rate, then it is an issue.

The cost is 14.99 USD for a month account with such and such stipulations. You aren't paying 9.99 USD a month for a base account and 5.00 USD for 500DBC, claimable or otherwise. If you really are, then go try hit up customer support and ask to pay 9.99 USD for just the account for just one month and tell me how it goes.
    It sounds like what you were just talking about is something much more grandiose.
  20. Darkwulf

......... A lot of people seem to miss the point. Daybreak would have more subs if they would lift the log in requirement to acquire the items they are paying for.

I don't understand what the big deal is. Just let me get the DBC regardless of when I log in if I am a customer. If don't log in for 35 days. Daybreak just basically got free money from me for 1 month. Sometimes I take a month or two off. I don't want to even think about PS2, logging in, or removing my subscription during that time.

The second part is, I want to support the company. I want to have an ongoing subscription all year long even if I don't play. I want this game to have the funding to succeed, I wish more people would support them. I do not want to miss out on the DBC and certs during that year.

Just something for them to think about. They are historically a struggling dev team financially. I wish they would wake up and stop screwing their customer base.

And for the electricity argument. What id I paid my power bill but was on vacation and never even turned on a light? Do I still have to pay the full price as if I was there using the power all month? That's what Daybreak is doing to their customers.