Only One Continent?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SuperGrover, Aug 1, 2017.

1. SuperGrover

Logs in.

Sees only one continent available to play on.

It's Hossin.

Laughs.

Shakes head.

Logs out.
    • Up x 7
  2. Pikachu

• Up x 1
  3. Eternaloptimist

As Pikachu said. Plus there have been a few good, big fights on Hossin (EU servers) since the single continent thing started...........this coming from someone who also use to avoid Hossin at all costs. I'd recommend giving it another try.
    • Up x 2
  4. stalkish

Do you actualy not like Hossin?
    Or are you just following popular opinion like a mindless drone?
    • Up x 3
  5. ChUnKiFieR

Isn't this how your last favorite PC video game ended? The player-ship leaves, the servers cut back then PoOf. South Korea seems to love the game,, for now.
  6. Chubzdoomer

PlanetSide 2 is a dying game anyways. Might as well force players to fight on a single continent rather than spread the thin playerbase across two (which always resulted in serious pop/balance issues).

This was the right move IMO.
    • Up x 3
  7. ChUnKiFieR

They had no choice.
  8. zaspacer

1) SOE/DBG Devs made the deliberate change to the game that makes this a common outcome.
    2) It's absolutely crazy in terms of the negative impact it will have on driving off players.
    3) It was either done to help kill the game OR it was done with a complete cluelessness as to the game OR it was done to prove or indulge some Dev agenda/bias related to Hossin without regard for consequences of that test.

They (PS2 Dev decision makes; specifically not "PS2 Devs" as a whole) have had, and continue to have, many choices. And lots of time to work out and make those choices, and a community to playtest and provide feedback, and a world of human resources to test and develop as consultants.

I definitely do not think this was the right thing to do. It's similar to a restaurant limiting their menu to one choice each day, and including in that rotation a choice that many people have shown they will not order. (SOE/SBG could easlily have tracked how often players who logged in, then quickly logged out depending on what Continents were open)

They have had, and continue to have, many choices. The continue to ignore or not see most of them. I've worked within the SOE/DBG/Sigil culture before (and have known a lot of people in it, including many head decision makers), they are heavily myopic and ego driven and bias driven.

Almost any time someone resorts to saying "there is no choice", this is going to be an inaccurate statement. Also, one that often involves a lot of negative stuff.
    • Up x 1
  9. zu2

I agree. I average 6-7 hours a day, every day, playing ps2 and this has improved the fights available. Of course, I am one of the people who likes big fights with plenty of targets, so it may not be to everyone's taste.
    • Up x 1
  10. Cymric

Why do you think having one continent only when pop is low is a bad thing? I have a char on Briggs and I can attest to the fact that pop is so low that whenever 2 continent are open by mistake, fights totally sux and player go on reddit to remind DBG to close the extra continent. Personally I would rather fight on hossin than have no/bad fights.
    • Up x 3
  11. LegendarySalmonSnake

Due to the game opening a 2nd continent rather than locking a 3rd, the pop dropping the most after a continent locks/new one opens and the limit being 600, The second continent seems to "lock" when at least Cobalt is asleep. But there seem to have been more of those good 24-48 infantry fights and some nice 3way ones aswell on that one open continent before peak. And you know which continent shines best in my eyes with fights like that? For some reason there seems to be more fights in those less played regions too. I can't remember the last time I saw a fight at Camp Connery.

Might be all coincidences but for now I give this change a big thumbs up.
  12. zaspacer

I do not think having one Continent only when pop is low is a bad thing... if that Continent is Indar, Esamir, or Amerish. Specifically, I think having Hossin only as a common occurrence at any time is a bad thing.

If a restaurant is going to limit their menu to one choice each day, they should not frequently make that choice one that many people have shown they will not order.
    • Up x 1
  13. Towie

The problem with only one continent being open is that if there is a serious faction imbalance, it's tough. You're stuck with it and if you are the underpop, you will have a miserable time (granted a few like being underpop but not the majority).

At least with two continents, there's more chance that one will have a more even faction balance.

I'm guessing this to be the case as I play Cobalt primetime so usually two open BUT there is very often a faction imbalance that means you only have one realistic continent choice (unless you are one of the masochistic few).
    • Up x 1
  14. DeadlyOmen

It's about time that Hossin gets the play it deserves. It is an excellent map; presenting challenges that the other maps don't.

Don't like playing new maps? Dust 24/7 may be more appropriate for you. Most gamers are way past repetition.
    • Up x 3
  15. DeadlyOmen

Read: if I log on and see my faction as underpopped, I make it worse by going somewhere else.
  16. Rydenan

0_o
    how?
    • Up x 1
  17. zaspacer

"Deserves"? Hossin Deserves? Hossin is just a map. It's just another item on a menu. It has no emotions, it does not appreciate decisions. You don't make decisions based on how it affects things, you make them based on if affects people or on how it affect business.

If you want Planetside 2 to survive and grow, you need for it to grow in users. You do that through keeping existing players playing and playing more frequently, attracting and keeping new users, and by attracting and keeping former users.

Choosing a game that favors Hossin is catering to a play model that does not grow users. In fact, it repels users.

You're talking the talk of those who want to chase off players who don't play how you like. You're talking the talk of someone who is content with (or even happy about) the game playerbase continuing to shrink and the game then shutting down.

If the Devs do not want the game to shrink and then shut down, then they should not listen to your suggested path to do so.

This is a very good point.

We have seen that many players will often choose to join whichever Continent has their Faction in overpop. Reducing the game to just 1 Map (and frequently only 1 Faction having overpop), creates a situation where only 1 Faction will really have that choice to join as the overpop.

PS2 Devs are stacking the reasons for players to log out. (or to log out, switch characters, and log in as the overpop).

Correct. This is standard player behavior for many (most?) players. Players who are looking for a game experience they enjoy and want to play.

Almost nobody is interested in having a miserable time in a game. Making gameplay miserable is a sure way to motivate people to not participate in it. If PS2 Devs wanted players to log in as Faction underpop, they should have changed the game so the experience of playing as Faction underpop was not hated by many players.
    • Up x 1
  18. DeadlyOmen

Why do you get to decide that?

Variety is the spice of life. Not being able to hack what one does not have memorized is not the fault of the unmemorized item- it is the fault of the one that will not explore beyond their self-imposed boundaries.
    • Up x 1
  19. zaspacer

I don't decide for the playerbase, they decide for themselves.

It's common knowledge that Hossin has had the lowest rates of usage, by a large margin, for a long time. And that most players will choose to play on any other Continent over Hossin. Many players have stated they do not like Hossin, and there has been many threads on this forum explaining why and asking for changes on the things the specific things don't like that have never come from the PS2 Devs.

Almost nobody is interested in having a miserable time in a game. Making gameplay miserable is a sure way to motivate people to not participate in it. If PS2 Devs wanted more players to want to choose to log into Hossin, they should have changed Hossin so the experience of playing as Hossin was not hated by many players.

Hossin as a largely disliked Continent arguably wasn't terrible for the game when players had other Continents to choose from (though it was terrible to default-route New Players and Instant Action there). And eliminating the choice of other Continents and only giving players the option to play on Hossin, makes (current) Hossin terrible for the game in terms of sustaining or growing playerbase.

You don't make decisions based on how it affects things, you make them based on if affects people or on how it affect business. (at least in the virtual world)

If you want Planetside 2 to survive and grow, you need for it to grow in users. You do that through keeping existing players playing and playing more frequently, attracting and keeping new users, and by attracting and keeping former users.

Choosing a game that favors Hossin is catering to a play model that does not grow users. In fact, it repels users.
    • Up x 1
  20. DeadlyOmen

Data please.