Flamethrower

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AyyyYourFace, Jul 14, 2017.

1. AyyyYourFace

I was talking to a friend of mine and he suggested to add a new flamethrower-like weapon into the game. What do you guys think? It could be a close range weapon effective against groups or something like that, maybe even an afterburn effect.
  2. Tankalishious

No.

10 flamethrowers locking down a capping point, burning all entrances would be simply ridiculously OP
  3. Eternaloptimist

I believe there are coding problems with introducing flamethrowers...........apart from the balance question
  4. stalkish

I used flame throwers back in BETA.
    Dont know why they were removed i had 0 issues with them.

Apparantly some people had issues.....
  5. DeadlyOmen

Flamethrowers would be an excellent addition. With the loss of ZEALOT, Max Charge, Infra-Vision, AV turret range, etc...the game desperately needs an infusion of fearful weapons.

Regarding locking down of the cap point, the time to break a lock down is before it happens.
  6. OldMaster80

The only thing the flamethrower could add would be DoT. Without DoT would it be that different from any other cqc weapon?
  7. Pikachu

That was the very reason it was cancelled in 2014 or whenever flamers were last hear of. The devs realized that flamers were just auto shotguns with different graphics and wanted to add burn damage, which would take time.
    • Up x 1
  8. Demigan

Those airshields do a DOT nowadays, so it exists now.

Back then flamethrowers were framerate eaters. Just remember it took a couple of years before player PC's and the coding were updated enough that flak shots didnt cause tiny lagspikes, and then imagine a flamethrower...

You could argue that in the current gameplay it would be possible without it eating everyones framerate, but it would also nuke the potential for adding more objects and objectives that would offer a much bigger impact on the game for the same amount of framerate eating as the flamethrower.

Besides the already mentioned "how you gonna balance that in a chokepoint" argument. The accuracy is going to be appaling anyway, nothing stopping you from just holding that button and keeping a doorway locked down unless its got an enormous reload.

I would rather use DOT's in different ways, such as short burst weapons that set someone on fire. Think the LA sacrificing jetpack fuel for a short-ranged attack to both confuse and damage an opponent.
  9. Weylin

I think this would work well as an NS MAX weapon, maybe it wouldn't do much direct damage, but could be used as a support weapon? Imagine it overheating vehicle engines and making them run slow, or setting fire to them so they take damage until repaired, or it could be used to suppress a choke point with a DoT on the ground.

Yall know I can't aim for ****, so anything gimmicky and not directly powerful and not requiring aim is a "hell yes" in my book.
  10. C_Saunders

11. LordKrelas

So basically the Lasher, but with effects on Vehicles.
    NC would be given a better shotgun-range weapon, with DOT, proper spread, and no murderous missing.
    TR would given a Close-range kill-option.
    VS would gain another AOA weapon, making sieges or sealing of buildings even more practical.

That. That is just horrifying.