Alert Timer Freeze?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PlanetDefense, Jun 17, 2017.

1. PlanetDefense

There was an Esamir alert tonight on Emerald that ended at about 1:38 AM EST, with the Vanu (which I was playing) was winning. Current status was 37% vs 37% vs 25% in the last 5 minutes. We were down to the last 30 seconds of the alert with one of the territory timers being about 5-6 seconds behind the Alert timer, so we all thought we were gonna be stuck in a tie with the NC. However, the Alert timer reached 00:00:00 and froze with no result shown. The timer just went back into the top right of my screen. A couple of seconds pass, and it should have said "Draw" by now. Me and my entire platoon as well as command chat were puzzled. However, the territory cap goes through, and suddenly the alert says that we win. Platoon chat and Command Chat go wild. It seemed so much like the timer held off waiting for us to cap the territory so we would win. We honestly all thought the server was rigged against us at that point. Has anyone else encountered this?

P.S. Waypoints set by leaders were disappearing/not showing up tonight, making leading a bit tough. Game bug or server issue?
  2. velie12

Waypoints not showing up may occur when swapping people to another squad, this causes the swapped people to be unable to see platoon WP. solve this by removing all WP's(with the remove all waypoints button) and setting them again.
  3. PlanetDefense

Nobody could see the waypoints, including me who was setting them. The message "Platoon Waypoint Updated" or "Squad Waypoint Updated" still popped up on my screen and in the chat box, but nothing showed on the map.
  4. PlanetDefense

Any opinion on the "Alert Timer" topic as you didn't address that?
  5. Morpholine

I don't know about alert timer freezes, but I've seen a number of situations similar to the following:

Alert timer is at 4:00 and counting down. Winning territory timer is at 3:45 and counting down. No enemy comes near the point. Alert ends before the territory captures, because the two apparently have different clock speeds.

It's clear the alert timer and capture timers do NOT use the same clock. I've seen to above far too often to have imagined it. Perhaps someone with more server architecture knowledge for games like this can explain why.
  6. PlanetDefense

I know about the different timer speeds, but that doesn't explain why the alert timer would freeze, unless it has something to do with lag compensation or something in the way the game connection is designed.