Mythbusting PS2 - NC TK ALL THE THINGS!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BrbImAFK, Apr 28, 2017.

1. BrbImAFK

Mythbusting PS2

Episode 4 - NC TK ALL THE THINGS!

Since the salt-wave shows no signs of abating, I'm reluctant to tackle anything even vaguely controversial and so, for this week's episode, I decided to test whether the NC really do TK as much as everybody claims they do.

Let's find out whether NC are actually colourblind, or whether there's more to it! ;)

Caveats
    • First off, I main VS and obviously, like most people, I have biases. However, when I write factual / informative articles like this one, I do my best to be as objective as possible.
    • I spent many hours collecting data, and have analyised about 400 hours of gameplay. However, there's always the possibility that an even larger sample size would result in slightly different numbers. I don't believe in absolutes, but I do believe in "good enough".

Test Methodology
    1. Since there's few ways to collect data on PS2 without being able to query the API (and I'm not a programmer, so I can't), I've relied on data collected during alerts by the excellent site www.ps2alerts.com.
    2. I collated over 400 alerts during a two(ish) week period, adding up the TK's by faction and the number of players by faction.
    3. By dividing up the TK's by player numbers we get a "TK's per player" statistic across the alerts. This is what I've based my conclusions on.

Test Results

Over 400+ alerts, I found that the NC had 85,387 TK's, the TR had 82,674 TK's and the VS had 70,489 TK's. However, the populations weren't equal as the NC had a total of 138,217 players, TR had 137,318 players and VS had 119,579 players.

This results in a TK's per player of 0.62 for the NC, 0.6 for the TR and 0.59 for the VS.

While the NC are in fact higher than the other two empires, I don't think that this difference is particularly significant and so, as far as I'm concerned, the NC TK about as much as everybody else, and this myth is busted.

Conclusion

Based on the testing above, I think it's pretty clear that the NC do not TK more than anybody else.

NC TK ALL THE THINGS! - [[BUSTED]]

[teeny addendum, just for lulz]
    While creating some new alts to do some testing, I noticed something interesting..... during the tutorial, the TR are "attacking" a VS base. However, both the NC and the VS are "attacking" a TR base. Clearly this demonstrates that the devs favour NC and VS over TR, and that the "TR victim complex" is, in fact, warranted! :p
    • Up x 6
  2. Demigan

Weird. Some time ago someone collected the data, and the NC killed approximately twice as much players on any server.
    • Up x 1
  3. JobiWan

I haven't collected any data other than creating an alt and playing. I used to think the NC/TK thing was exaggerated but based on my experience I got definitely got TK'd more than I do playing TR.
  4. Direlithe

If this was a television show on Auraxis, I'd watch it.
  5. DeadlyOmen

Nice work.
  6. Hegeteus

NC is the only faction I get constantly run over by freaking flashes :mad:
    • Up x 1
  7. MaDiv

[IMG]
    WRONG

Last night I've been on Hossin, defending a base against two NC players. I surrounded the main entrances, flanked them from behind and had to see that they started killing each other, then picked off the survivor and gave them a thanks via voice commands.

U have to agree with me, this is an alternative fact :p
  8. Campagne

On my TR alt, I have a completely default character model and I get shot by TR at a ridiculous rate. Even moreso than as NC with my directive White camo. :eek:

(And I mean by everything. Stray rounds to long bursts to knives. Even a Mosie fired a few rockets at me!)
  9. FateJH

You're extremely late to the party on this one. PromptCriticalSOE posted statistics about team killing as it was about a year ago. The scope of this examination was a now long-ago double XP weekend to target heightened population density and heightened trigger-to-reward.

The chart:
    [IMG]
    The post: Congratulations to Connery NC.
  10. Campagne

The issue with this chart as has been said before is that it states team-damage, not team-kills. It should stand to reason that the faction with the highest damage weapons would do more damage per accidental shot.
    • Up x 4
  11. UberNoob1337101

Still, the list is appalling to look at... dealing almost double team damage or quadruple damage in comparison to other factions? It might not be a flat kill, but it will certainly contribute to your death.
    • Up x 3
  12. LordKrelas

Well, triple-shot shotguns, Shotgun maxes (RNG weapons), vehicle-based shotguns as well mixed with weapons dealing high-damage at the closer ranges which is where allies generally are.
    It all sorta adds up, in any friendly fire being incredibly dangerous.

Thankfully, not incredibly fatal by itself apparently.
    But I've moved down my share, and been mowed down by it often.