What is with the weapon/knife movement when standing still?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SquirtAttack, Apr 20, 2017.

1. SquirtAttack

After this latest patch, if you stand still for a little bit, the player moves whatever weapon they are holding every few seconds. It is distracting, obstructs the view, and potentially gives your position away if you are trying to hide and stay still. Why is it doing this?
  2. Campagne

Might be trying to simulate involuntary movement via breathing and just exaggerating the effect.
  3. SquirtAttack

It is definitely not simulating something involuntary. It is not the normal slight movement and swaying as you sit still. It is almost like it is checking the weapon. It completely obstructs the view. Extremely annoying and distracting.
  4. SquirtAttack

So I did some testing with it and when you stand or sit still the movement occurs randomly every 12 to 30 seconds. The types of movements are different depending on the weapon, and there are random movements that it does for each weapon. The pistol and knife seem to have the most drastic movement. For example, one of the movements it does is hold the knife up and do a slight twist, then put it back down. Another movement it randomly does is hold the knife up and twist it several times back and forth in front of your face, then put it back down at the ready position. Same for pistol. This happens every 12 to 30 seconds while not moving.

The primary weapons movements aren't as drastic but does also make a movement sound similar to when you change weapons but more subtle. One of the movements is to just slightly lower it for a second, then back up. The other is for it to twist it side to side.

Very annoying, especially as a cloaked infiltrator with a knife or pistol in hand while you are trying to remain still. As soon as the movement starts, you think someone is right up on you.
    • Up x 2
  5. Campagne

Ah, I see what you mean.

Probably just an unmentioned feature with the new update today, or one that was accidentally added in.

I don't really like much either.
  6. YoungPedro

There was some announcements about idle animations that play once you stand still for a while, most fps game do it nowadays so I'm a little surprised that you guys have never seen something like that.

The good news is it's just a first person animation, other players will not see anything out of the ordinary while its playing, so the getting spotted thing isnt an issue.
  7. SquirtAttack

I can understand a slight movement, but this is highly distracting and obstructs the view. The pistol and knife, it is placing it straight up in the middle of the screen as it is twisting it around and about. This is absurd.