Can we finally get more ES content and diversity?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberNoob1337101, Mar 20, 2017.

1. UberNoob1337101

It's insane with how much NS weapons are getting shoved down our throats that add absolutely nothing for the game except a pretty-cool-yet-mediocre gun that only really exists to give old vets a shiny new gun that kills a bit differently and doesn't affect the current Headshot ADAD Olympics infantry meta at all.

Worse yet, there are a bunch of ES guns, or more accurately, guns with ES models that are basically copy-paste of a similar gun of another faction or function almost identically. Might as well make everything NS and re-name the teams Red, Blue and Purple...

Seriously, just count how many NS weapons we got in between the batch of ES Secondaries for Harassers and MBTs and ES Secondaries for Sunderers. There really needs to be a second look at ESifying current faction-specific weapons and make them actually distinct and unique besides sounding and looking different.

I have a pretty radical idea, keep the current NS weapons the way they are, but make almost all ES weapons unique and loyal to their faction traits. That way, only stat changes have to be made to set the weapons apart and make them function differently.
    • Up x 3
  2. BrbImAFK

This is kinda how PS1 was. The majority of the weapons were NS, but each faction had their own ES weapons with empire traits.

That said..... only TR / NC get faction traits. VS doesn't have any, so I'm not sure how your idea is gonna work.

According to the original plan, VS were supposed to be the most accurate faction, with the worst recoil, middling rate of fire and middling damage. Yeah.... things didn't work out that way.
    • Up x 2
  3. Pikachu

Vanus main trait is charge up. :D The most recent one is the only one that people make use of, because it's shoot to charge instead of hold to charge.

Anyway we all know the reason for NS is they have lots of them in the files since long ago waiting to be put out. Also it cost 1/3 the money to make and maintain.
  4. UberNoob1337101

That's mostly because VS was probably a rushed faction that was merely given what seemed kinda okay, then pushed out. It's pretty obvious that 90% of VS' arsenal can be transferred into TR/NC gameplay-wise and we'd see no difference, and the imbalances of VS gear at launch only confirms my theory of VS being something added later on and probably without much thought put into it.

IMO VS should've been the experimental faction with the most unique, albeit somewhat specialized guns that break the mold, like guns that can change their recoil patterns to any direction, or the plasma fallout for grenades, explosives and some infantry weapons (like in PS1), or laser no recoil hitscan weapons with very low DPS, or more guns with the heat mechanic, or guns that teleport you at the direction where you shot, or weapons that can chain hit multiple targets, or weapons that shoot bullets that bounce or even weapons that can hit through walls...

VS is wasted potential, I agree, but with some serious re-working, imagination and balancing, VS can become on-par with it's traits.
    Have you seen your butts and heels on MAXs? Your current ES trait is to be fabulous :p
    • Up x 1
  5. Liewec123

i fully agree that we need TONS more faction specific weapons/vehicles.
    the problem is that whenever they do listen to us and add faction specific stuff one will obviously be best and one will obviously be worst, and the QQ floods the forums...GK OP! TRAP sucks! nerf scatmax! buff magrider!

i'd love for lightnings, flashes and harassers to get replaced with faction specific vehicles,
    i imagine TR would have the current vehicles,
    VS would probably have hover vehicles similar to magrider, high mobility, less durability.
    NC would probably have less mobility but more durability.
  6. TR5L4Y3R

well sunderes in PTS might have gotten ES rear wepons .. but apperantly that was pulled ...
    ants were to get current harrasser/mbt turrets .. but that also has been pulled ... :/
    • Up x 1
  7. LordKrelas

I like the idea of ES weaponry, as well as faction traits.
    But can you imagine fighting VS if they could fire through walls?
    Or Bounce shots off walls into you?

Lashers can already deny larger forces in number.
    Imagine if they could just aim at a wall, and gets kills: As in straight at a wall, killing the guy fully on the other side.
    Would make VS Spawn-room Warriors more dangerous, and allow them to defend rooftops from inside the building...
    Or attack cap rooms from the other side of a wall: Aka where they can not be shot back from.
    No Cover would be useful against VS.

Teleporting Troopers would be a tactical hell to counter, adapt to, or even plan against:
    If a VS class could transport itself across the battle field, they could close the distance faster than TR or NC...
    Like say against enemy snipers, or kite NC Heavy-Weapon users for all eternity.
    IE would make attacking TR or NC easier, and attacking VS harder than hell.

Hitscan weapons would also make their Snipers have the easiest time making the farthest ranged shots.
    So they'd never miss a target if they could see them:
    Your lower DPS idea could help mitigate this, but.. leaves them deader than dead if either TR or NC got in range.
    Aka resulting in possibly Overwhelming at a distance or \ & in number, while screwed at closer ranges & numbers.

It's sad about the Sundy weapons, hopefully they do get released anyway.

The Ant weapons, I'm sorta glad: TR was gonna get I think it was Vulcans or GateKeepers for their Ants.
    That's just damn scary.
  8. Pikachu

Also could we get some more vehicle weapons among all the infantry ones? No new tank cannons in 5 years despite some being in the files since spring 2013. It feels like infantry gets 10x the amount of new things compared to vehicles. I want lightning cannons and a kobalt for them. People have also made a lot fun of suggestions for flash, I want those vertical jump jets.
    • Up x 2
  9. Shocky

faction diversity and by extension ES weapons vehicles and mechanics breeds hatred between the players especially those who wont give other factions a try.

if this was planetside 1 you could loot the inventory of a dead enemy and acquire enemy equipment that you could store in your locker same could be said for vehicles as they were hack-able. as some devs would put it "this is not possible with the current game" and they are right has having to render bags on the ground would tank frame rate and having the colored strips on vehicals have the same AI code as the tower banners [you know the ones that change faction color after base cap, same principal] would also cause problems.

the thing is its harder to "balance" 3 different weapons and vehicles then just one vehicle or weapon. joke: ahh the emphasis on balance when we still have Heavy assault in the game what fun.

anyways the other thing is the work that they clearly do not want to put into something that everyone will ***** about like they have done with almost everything ES thing added. its why we are getting the NSX line of weapons. i would love to see more faction diversity and ES weapons, vehicles and mechanics but as always the player-base wont allow it.

joke: everything will be NS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
  10. BrbImAFK

Here's a totally off-the-wall idea.......

I think we all have to agree that the inventory system as it was in PS1 is not going to be returning. That's fine. BUT.... why can't we take one of the best aspects from it (i.e. stealing enemy weapons) and bring it into PS2? It would be a fun change of pace, especially for those that don't 4th faction.

I would suggest the following : Every time you kill an enemy player, you have a SMALL chance (like maybe 2%) to receive one of his ES weapons (assuming he has any equipped). What this would effectively do is unlock that weapon (and all available attachments) in your inventory. You could keep that weapon indefinitely, but from the first time you pull it, you have a certain period of time (say 30 minutes) after which it would expire and disappear from your inventory.

They could even make a fun, bounty-like Directive around it, you know... killing the enemy with their own toys (i.e. NC with NC weapons, TR with TR weapons, VS with VS weapons). I dunno what the reward for this would be, but I'd be pissed if it was some sort of stupid Japanese hat..... :p

Maybe throw in a "Collection" directive, just for giggles, requiring you to "collect" various portions of the enemy arsenal! :D Again, no real ideas on rewards for this one.
    • Up x 2
  11. hollowed

As I mentioned in previous threads I avoid using NS weapons bar the comissioner out of principle. On a VS character especially (which i play almost exclusively) they look very much out of place.
    I can understand the reasons why they're being pushed hard, i think anyone can.
    I also don't expect to see any major improvements to ES at this stage. I've thrown my punches at the VS infantry weapons in other threads and find it pointless to repeat over and over.
    Just the fact that VS battery powered weapons can be resupplied out of NC/TR ammo drops and vice versa told me all i needed to know about faction adherence in this game.
    The amount of lazy copout shortcuts would mandate a separate wall of text in a separate thread if I cared that much but I really don't.
    Ballance is cancer.
  12. Eternaloptimist

Most TR and NC infantry weapons seem to have traits that are relatively clear (high RoF or high damage). But VS infantry weapons either sit in between the two and feel like no trait, or they have a mix of things like charge up, no drop or splash damage which are inconsistent and applied to relatively few weapons.

The Maggie on the other hand, looks like an imginative and different intrpretation of an MBT whihc is quite different from the other two, rather than being an in-betweener (I'm not a tanker so this is just an outside observer's view).

Something different for mainstream infantry weapons seems to be likley to have the most impact on creating an ES flavour for VS. Maybe something relatively simple like infantry primaries having different charge settings, sort of a develoment of the auto / semi auto / burst fire settings on some weapons now. For example high charge = more damage = slower RoF = ammo exhausted faster.

Maybe only two settings -either standard and high or standard and low, depending on which primary (the way some primaries can have SPA whilst others can have HVA).

Maybe even give an option for a full energy discharge on some that exhausts the mag in one burst and is like a shotgun discharge (but more effective :eek:) - close range only ofc.

I'm just throwing out discussion topics without really having the time or knowledge to know if they are UP or OP or what. The point is that, like the Maggie for tanks what is needed imo is something unique for mainstream infantry weapons.
  13. stalkish

I wont argue 'not much thought' but to think that the VS wernt supposed to be in the sequal to a game containing them is approaching asinine.
    I can imagine the devs saying 'do we need 3 factions' perhaps maybe at a meeting 1 time, but serious game design being done without VS included i just simply cannot believe.
    It would be like making Faulty Towers without including Faulty......no wait, the Americans actually did that o_O.

Just as i cant image them ever seriously considering not including MAXs, i cannot believe they would seriously consider a 2 empire planetside, how boring that would be.....
  14. SpeedFreakPS0NE

Um, the fact they are giving designer jobs out to people with no experience besides making YouTube videos suggests you shouldn't hold your breath for too much more from this game.
  15. Pikachu

People suggested this ages ago but others said it would cost too much performance to create a usable item when a player dies. In 2017 we can't have doors or weapon drops.
  16. BrbImAFK

Honestly, I'm not sure I buy that explanation.... a gun is no more a "usable item" than an implant, in that all they are is entries in a table or database. They don't seem to have a problem keeping track of implant/charger drops on XP gain, so why would they have a problem with weapons on kill - which happens a lot less frequently than XP gain!
  17. stalkish

^signature quote right there
    Also makes you wonder why we cant have lootable backpacks but we can have PMBs littering the whole map.....
    • Up x 1
  18. BrbImAFK

Well.... I can kinda understand the idea behind no backpacks. Once they'd decided to do away with the inventory system and the build-your-own-class system to implement fixed loadouts and classes, there was kinda no need for backpacks. You didn't need them for resupply in the field either, since they were giving engies ammo packs, engy/medic tools were heat-based etc. And lets be fair.... as pointless as I consider the PMB system, I actually do believe that backpacks littering the ground (esp in a 96/96 biolab) could provide some serious server-strain!
  19. stalkish

In ps1 the backpacks lasted for mere seconds in large fights, there was a cap on how many could be in an area.
    Made it difficult to loot them sometimes lol, but i think it was the best of both worlds.

I think PS2 would be easier still, all the backpak would show is the primary and secondary, could even just drop the gun itself (ive seen that in games before, COD maybe? i cant remember).
    No consumables resupply because of nanite cost; no ammo required in backpack, engi ammo box supplies enemies aswel so its good to go already; and no tool swapping.