Directive Weapon Abilities

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ApexCenturion, Feb 2, 2017.

1. ApexCenturion

With the updates to directive weapons rolling out, it got me wondering about the special abilities for each faction's directive weapons. VS has the recharge ability on many of their rewards, and NC recently received the ability to damage heavy armor with the godsaw. I know these abilities don't have any real impacts on how powerful a weapon can be, but it seems TR is left out of the mix. Are there any plans to change this, or are directive weapons where the devs want them to be?
  2. CrimsonEclipse5

The butcher has a 500 round magazine.
  3. ApexCenturion

It does, yes, but TR directive weapons do not have any new attributes (heat mechanic isn't on any guns, AV firing modes are unique as well). I feel that the 500 round magazine is not only a less interesting aspect to have on a directive weapon, but feels like it may be less useful.
    • Up x 1
  4. LaughingDead

Well a gun being able to fire literally forever seems neat imo, just it's kinda stupid. Trust me the godsaw isn't winning any award for being able to tickle tanks to death.
    • Up x 1
  5. ApexCenturion

The special abilities in no way make these weapons more powerful than one another, but the quirks of the NC and VS weapons make them far more interesting, especially as they boast features not found in other weapon types or faction arsenals. Mostly wondering if the devs have a plan to make any more special features for NC and/or any special features at all for TR auraxium-variants. So far it seems that only the Vanu aurax. weapons have these features fully implemented and that NC is next up.
  6. OgreMarkX

Yup, not worth it.

Just give TR players the option to turn in the Butcher Directive LMG for Daybreak Cash so we can buy a more useful NS weapon.

I mean, hell, the NC LMG directive weapon can damage ANYTHING in game? TR directive LMG gets a larger clip of can't-hit-much-at-a-distance-bullets-because-no-real-attachment-options? Oh good Lord.

Same for the TR "Sniper" HAHA rifle, the M1-TRAP...a gun buyback program eh? Sounds good to me.

7. TheSunlikeOne

Shooting a tank with the GODSAW is a waste of ammo. The thing is, that GODSAW is available only to HA - the class that has RLs. So its trait is kinda gimmick.
  8. Liewec123

imho its even better than VS heat mechanic, the benefit of heat mechanic is that you can avoid reloads by firing short bursts,
    well with butcher you can say "screw that!" and hold down the trigger for a full minute if you want too.
    the "infinite ammo" side of the VS trait is nice, but i can't think of the last time i've ran out of ammo.
    • Up x 1
  9. entity009

500 round mag is very useful. heat mechanic/infinite ammo useful. The tank tickler is not useful at all.

It is just plain dumb. All it is good for is giving your position away to receive a tank round.
    • Up x 2
  10. Eternaloptimist

Butcher used to have spin up (BRRRRT) as well as big mag i.e. the dakka ES trait, Which seemed to compete with the MCG. But as I don't have any aurax weapons I can only say that the long standing heat mechanic for VS LMG and carbine have always sounded like the only really ground breaking thing. New light AV damage for the GODSAW might be a a useful NC mechanic but IDK.
  11. GuhMaster2512

Not a huge deal but the Butcher was changed to have 400 round mag. Until it goes live, the butcher had spin up removed and RoF when from 750 -> 769, which is a small buff.
  12. FieldMarshall

Some sort of belt-fed mechanic (no reloads) would imo be cool for TR directive weapons, though i suppose it would be imbalanced.

Or give them the Naginata trait (nerf the weapons in other ways to compensate as needed).
    Not having to burst fire and just holding down the trigger seems like something TR should have.
    • Up x 2
  13. ApexCenturion

I'm not sure exactly what the ability should be, but I definitely feel that there should be at least one unique trait for each faction's auraxium variant sets. I'd personally like to see some more added to NC and at least one for TR. (something like the faction tank/max abilities, but for weapons) The spin-up for the butcher seemed out of place with the looks of the weapon, and I feel it only works well with chaingun-style weapons.
  14. BrbImAFK

I like both these ideas, to be honest. I'd love to see the TR directive guns have a huge clip and no ammo reserve, combined with a capped CoF so that you don't have to burst. That said, I think they should have a reload mechanic when the clip runs dry. You'd need to be near an ammo pack, and you'd have a 7-sec+ reload where you fill the whole clip in one go - i.e. feeding in a new belt. Obviously, you could also just resupply at a terminal.
    • Up x 1
  15. johnway

Yeah the TR have always been the middle faction for traits and there's only a few options for traits. Sadly its bullet hoses and lots of ammo. i did unlock the butcher sometime ago and its a real disappointment tbh. Personally i would love to see an AR with a HUGE pool of ammo. hell, give us the torq 9 with 200 round belt feed monster or something.

but the challenge at this point is weapon balance. if all the aurx weapons were op than it might create an imbalance of those have and have nots.
  16. IroncladBomber

The Archer still has that Award
  17. Qu4d3

Why are people saying that the butcher had a spin up? It never had a spin up... the chaingun is the only weapon with a spin up...