[BUG] Increasing firing delay after de-cloak

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Jayy, May 24, 2016.

1. Jayy

Has anyone else had a problem where, in large engagements, the delay to fire after de-cloaking starts to get exponentially longer? At first I thought this was just normal server lag or my ISPt, but every time I check my pings in game both are consistently below 80ms and usually hover between 60ms and 70ms.

I timed my ability to fire after de-cloaking and it went from nearly instant after the de-cloak animation finished to upwards of 1 full second. Strangely it increased steadily rather than just staying a consistent amount of time after pressing "F".

I'm aware of the telltale signs of server lag, or lag on my end and strangely none of them seem to be present. There is no delay to cloak after pressing "F" nor is there one to de-cloak. Only to fire. Even when this happens consistently my ping hasn't ever gone above 80ms.

Possibly the most odd thing about this entire problem is that it seems that when I de-cloak enemies cannot see me. Often times I'm able to kill them entirely and re-cloak before hearing their gun go off and seeing their body flashing with fire and then taking damage from their corpse on the ground.

Is anyone having this issue, any suggestions on how to fix it? For now a temporary fix seems to be re-logging, but I'd really prefer to not have to do that every time I enter and leave a large engagement area.
  2. Jayy

pls help
  3. Kaeyz

Decloak delay you say, well Jayy what you describe does seem odd. Specifically this part :

"Possibly the most odd thing about this entire problem is that it seems that when I de-cloak enemies cannot see me. Often times I'm able to kill them entirely and re-cloak before hearing their gun go off and seeing their body flashing with fire and then taking damage from their corpse on the ground."

Seems like very bad case of desync on either side combined with allmighty 'dynamic rendering priority'. Basically server lag causes you to take damage by a corpse, and for victims' side you're not prioritised enough to be rendered due to sheer amount of stuff in a fight, until data that you've damaged them reaches server, and by then it's more or less too late for them.

Wobbly stuff, had a hiatus a bit from planetside so not certain about timing anymore, but just few days ago in 12-24 both sides fight at Crux iirc on Amerish I was trying to flank across empty bridge, turns out one enemy was there shootin at someone else. Well, I killed the guy. Everything fine. Except minor detail : after I killed that guy, approximately ~20ppl appear behind me within distance of ~5m tops. From thin air. So yeaaaah.

Cloak always had issues in bigger fights with this 'meh' idea of forced delay before fire and ability calculation priority, it also got somewhat confusing in terms of reliability since implementation of so called 'decloak on fire' feature. There is a reason why many veteran infils just ditched this mechanic in favour of oldschool manual decloak/fire - reliability, apart of being too used to oldschool mechanic.

It used to mess stuff up by shooting blanks, allegedly fixed. Although more importantly I'd say you should take a look at your 'useroptions.ini' file and check for lines 'decloak on fire= 0/1' and 'ability cooldown/queuing'

Personally I have it on 0, both and didn't notice severe issues like what you described apart of usual serverlag. Ability queuing basically means time in seconds between your abilities/nades take effect sort of. I guess it allows 'nade cooking' to an extent. It's important for the issue since it can lock you into nearly infinite loop of cloak/decloak especially when you're on lower end of cloak energy which would result with...uh very interrupted gunplay.

Assuming you weren't aware of this and have it on 'stock' settings since that update which made this feature on by default. I'm just guessing here but this could be it.

Then again other day I had even more awkward situation than you : I apparently knifed to death some poor engineer who was inside of their sunderer, at least on their client. On my screen fella was crouching beside tire of sunderer and moving like he'd try to get underneath it, wouldn't take knife damage for a bit and then suddenly I got the kill. Spoke with the guy afterwards : we both had stable ping within 50-80 range on both network/server, no actual signs of lag. The hell, even fight was barely 1-12 vs 1-12 at that time. So I'd say servers are a bit wonky recently.

If I had to take another guess : try tweaking your gfx settings, if you notice any strain/fps fluctuations on your pc. This could actually explain relogging being a solution to your issue. Even if your hardware is top notch it tends to be more or less random in my experience. Devs might have by accident reintroduced/escalated legendary memory leak which in past was able to crash your game regardless whether you had 2gb of ram or 16gb.

No clue what else it could be atm, I'll try to pay attention to decloak lag more next time I play.
    • Up x 3
  4. Jayy

Thanks for the info. Normally, if it were server lag, it'd be pretty easy to tell because, at least in my experience, most of the time if the server (or my own connection) is unstable then cloaking and de-cloaking would be delayed after pressing the activation key. Strangely this isn't the case at all. The only thing that seems to be delayed is my ability to fire after I uncloak. Another thing I noticed is that enemies will die before I actually see them drop. That is, often times I will get the kill banner, watch them run around a bit, then they drop. From what I've seen the past few weeks the servers have been kind of unstable so that might be the problem.

I don't think it's on my end: http://www.speedtest.net/result/5354652125.png

Then again, it's hard for tests like that to account for spikes in ping. As for your incident, usually when I get this problem it's permanent until I re-log. If I go to a large fight, start having the problem, and then leave for less hectic areas it persists. As far as gfx settings goes, I don't think that's it either. I get pretty constant 60-50fps.

I heard people complaining in yell chat about clientside recently, but aside from the normal shenanigans it didn't seem to be any worse than the times I've played before. At least not until this.
  5. Moz

My recommendation is to turn of the setting in your user .ini file and de-cloak manually!

The auto decloak is rubbish IMHO.
  6. Jayy

I am de-cloaking manually. As far as I can tell Kaeyz's diagnosis of desync seems to be the most accurate.
    As an update I also found that not only is there a massive delay after de-cloak but I also seem to be able to fire while cloaked for the first few seconds. Here's a video showing both effects.

In this video I was hitting fire as fast as I could as soon as I had hit the de-cloak key. So the delay from de-cloak to when I fire is the delay I'm talking about. This is also a minor instance of it occurring and the effect tends to be much more dramatic and visible at times.

To give a point of reference regarding the idea of dysync, there is often such a delay between cloaked and uncloaked status that when I cloak I am still able to get roughly 10-14 rounds off with my inquisitor. This is while I am cloaked (at least on my screen).
    • Up x 2
  7. Amouris

Ever find a solution to this? Having the same issue as of Dec 18th.
  8. DIGGSAN0

This seems oddly interesting...

Is that option still allowed to use?
  9. Kopulator

Yes it is. You just have to make the adjustment in the ini file.