Darklight should be removed

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Titanshells, Dec 20, 2016.

1. 3Stan2112

No, probably not. Only enough to have world's #1 HSR on Aurax'd crossbows.

[IMG]
  2. Titanshells

Well then he does. And I was wrong to assume he does not.

However, it doesn't change the fact dl is broken. But alright, I'll refrain from further comments. Nobody is presenting an argument why dl needs to stay. And I am the only one arguing for it's removal. So this thread is pointless.
  3. Diilicious

it needs to stay because invisible people are cancer, id even expand it and give all secondary and harrasser weapons on all vehicle types dark search lights
  4. AkuraThDB

You could try moving. Makes you harder to hit.
  5. Ziggurat8

I would give it a broader beam with a further reach and better illumination of cloaked enemies when they do light up.

If you're getting lit up by dark light it's because you're playing poorly. You've exposed yourself by making noise or moving too fast within someone's LOS or you put yourself in front of a background that exposes you or you used a recon tool or you hacked a terminal.

Any one of those situations causes someone to pull out dark light. Very very few people use dark light on main weapons so they only use it when they have reason to suspect a cloaker. Once it is pulled it is so pathetic you have to be within 15m and pretty much pointing it directly at the infiltrator. If the infil isn't taking action to prevent that scenario he gets lit up. Smart infills move away or kill the search light before it gets to the point where it becomes a threat.

A longer broader search light would make it harder for "good" infiltrators to ambush you or escape after you have been alerted to their presence.

Before you claim I have no idea because I don't play infiltrator, I have 161 hours logged as infiltrator, not a crazy amount but I've played the class a few times.
  6. Movoza

I haven't counted and you might be right, but I'm pretty sure the upsides far outweigh the downsides. If not, logic dictates that it would be better to walk around without invisibility. I would like to see a video of people using infil and no stealth for comparison.

Another thing is that people with Darklight are giving themselves a downside. Where most have UBGL, laser sights, foregrips and the like, they have an attachment that only increases visibility on short range vs one class, if that class is using its ability. Darklight is this found most often on sidearms. That means you already have generated a huge advantage, as sidearms are generally inferior to primary weapons.
    Secondly, as you say the users are often already visible at that range. Why get an attachment to improve that? Additionally, tge Darklight range is a range that suits for attack. If anyone approaches you at this range, Darklight or not, you should kill them. Not wait around and do nothing. If you don't attack I feel like you are saying that you don't have to attack with an LA if you fly above someone because you are using your ability optimally.

Although I agree, the downside is that the Infiltrator can see you searching. With many crannies and nooks you're bound to not look at the Infiltrator and waste precious magazine on all but LMG, making you a tasty target. Bonus points for infil in my book.
  7. Titanshells

He is talking about those "oh sh1it" situations where you only have a few seconds to react. So unless you are close enough to a wall to run behind. You may as well take your chances and shoot back.
  8. Titanshells

Someone could literally just want to use the darklight and happen to flash it at you. I can see what you are saying, but that would mean the greatest infiltrator/stalker alive today would be playing poorly if he/she were caught by the light. Regardless if they had a 1 kill or 100+ kill streak. Which would contradict this claim they are playing poorly.

Most of the time I see the darklight is usually on the sidearm in my experience. Either they knew more infiltrators were present or they keep it just in case for said scenario. Either way, I prefer not to give them a chance to use it.
  9. Titanshells

I think it may be a matter of perspective because my perspective comes from using stalker and not hunter cloak.

Avoiding lots of battles is a major upside without question. Plus being able to ghost cap, a huge advantage, which many here really don't think should be possible. And Finally we can remain cloaked indefinitely as long as we don't use up all the energy.

On the other hand.......We are limited to our sidearm or knife(I prefer the knife). Also the cloak is drained by movement and has a significant delay time when trying to attack from it. I wouldn't say we are exactly ideal for combat with these kind of downsides when the cloak is up.
  10. Ziggurat8

Not really. Unless someone is just randomly pulling out a dark light side arm, or you leave yourself blinded by terrain (corner or other blind approaches) they shouldn't be sneaking up on you with a dark light. It's relatively easy to see someones darklight bobbing along from safe distances and plan accordingly (i love AP mine traps, can kill without giving them your location and punish them for searching for you).

So unless they get lucky somehow, which I'm not saying never happens, it's been my experience that when I get lit up it's because I made a mistake somewhere along the way. Usually its because I'm impatient or overconfident.
  11. Kopulator

I don't think it should be removed...However, I do believe it should be restricted to sidearms. I also believe that silenced weapons should show direction indicators on the death screens. This would make having suppressors a lot more useful than they are currently.
  12. AllRoundGoodGuy

When exactly was the last time you saw someone use the DL on a primary?
  13. Demigan

Hint: Don't try to sneak passed players. Either kill them, or don't get close to them.

Infiltrator stealth never ever was designed for close quarters. It was designed so that you could move around more freely without being spotted, to help you keep your distance, to reach sniper positions or cross contested territory. The developers knew full well what they did when they added the stealth sounds to make stalkers more easily revealed. You don't need to stick your gun up someone's nose ot be effective, and you shouldn't be doing that anyway unless you are really going to kill someone. PS2 is a large scale open world, there's half a dozen ways to reach the objective in almost any battle. If you willingly get close to an enemy, you accept that they might spot you. If you then alert them and they pull out their darklights (which they need and use since they can't spot you that easily) and you stick around, you accept the consequences. If you then are stupid enough to get caught in a narrow, short-ranged visual beam and then not move out of the way or engage, then your death is all your fault.

Also for all those people who say that infiltrators are easy to see. It depends heavily on your monitor size, graphics settings and the most wonderful part: You might not even notice 9 out of 10 infiltrators on your screen and still think you are a badbutt at spotting them because you don't know how many you missed.