Heavy Assault Rant

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by YouWannaGetHigh, Nov 16, 2016.

1. LaughingDead

Vastly? Their weapons are mid tier for DPS in their faction, carbines and AR variants can easily beat them in a 1v1 through sheer dps, survivability however yes they beat every other class, but that's common sense because they have a shield.
    • Up x 1
  2. travbrad

Yep and even some of those LA are likely in aircraft so also not really "infantry" just like the engineers. So HA and infiltrator are actually significantly more common than those percentages would indicate (and my gameplay experience would also come to that conclusion).

Maybe it's just because I have played the game too much but I would like to see a wider variety of classes in play, more people playing on maps other than Indar, etc. People are always demanding "MORE CONTENT" but it seems at the same time they want just do the same thing over and over.

Changing up the class balance would change the gameplay more than any amount of "content" IMO, and would actually be pretty easy to do compared to creating new assets for the game, etc
  3. Ziggurat8

The numbers say it all. If HA is so much better than the other classes why aren't their KDR's higher? Oh yeah, because the other classes have tools to help them get kills too!

Medics are pretty effing good at in your face and long range combat and can be almost as hard to kill as HA while making everyone around them harder to kill and even bringing friendlies back to life. AR is just about the best weapon class in the game.

Engineers have the best tools: turrets, mines (they should hold more AI mines than infils by default that's my biggest gripe), ammo packs, c4. Combat infantry engineers require a bit more tactical awareness to really shine but with good mine placement and smart turret use they're no joke. The repair tool increases MAX effectiveness exponentially. Soon they'll have portable cover!

Infiltrators. With out a doubt the most varying playstyles of all the classes. Long range sniping, run and gun cqc ambush or super sneaky stealth assasins. Fun recon tools to give away enemy positions and allow for stealth ambush with deadly effect or mines to annoy and slow the enemy. Hacking!

Last the LA the most mobile class by far with awesome flanking abilities able to get places no one expects, circumnavigate walls, and drop down from great heights Probably the best class for C4 and spawn beacon placement. Really it's all about the jump jets.

Heavies are the in your face storm troopers. It's why everyone likes them. You don't have to think or adapt or out play your target. Just run and gun and use your shield or shoot rockets at vehicles. But better? Not really. It's the simplest class. That is why it's the most played.
    • Up x 1
  4. Liewec123

fun fact? you haven't put up ANY info, not a single stat.
    you haven't even specified anything that makes the HA better now than they used to be,

you've merely eluded to your perception of "meta".

that is not info, that is "my feelz tellz me HA are so OP now!"

you feel that the changes to motion spotter is somehow a HA buff, so i reminded you that infils have been given OHK knives,
    a permanent cloak and even grenades that disable the HAs shield and put the heavy at 500 hp. (AKA free kill)
    infils are in a vastly better condition to 1v1 a heavy than they used to be.
    you ignored that.

i also gave you examples of how HA has been made pretty obsolete when it comes to dealing with maxes,
    which used to be one of HAs niche roles.
    you ignored that.

i didn't even want to respond to the "people just didn't think about headshots!" because it is just so silly...
    do you think this is everyone's first FPS? i've been shooting at heads all the way back to halo in 2001.

"people didn't think about WASDing to avoid getting shot" now you're simply lying...

the only conclusion is that you have a vendetta against HAs but can't think of any REAL reasons.
  5. zaspacer

Our discussion is a waste of time. We see the past differently, we see the importance of changes differently, we look at the large number of HAs running around to be of different significance, we don't agree on basic things, and we rehash the same points with the same incoherent dissonance over and over.
  6. YouWannaGetHigh

You're disproving yourself here. Also, let me fix that for you.
    Yeah, you don't have to adapt, you don't have to outplay. All you gotta do is turn that shield on and kill people. EVERYONE else needs to outplay YOU in order to kill you. This is NOT okay.
    Of course their KDR isn't higher. For every person you kill in this game, another one dies. Average KD ratio of this game is 1. For someone to have 3 KDR, there needs to be someone with less than 1 KDR. Capitalism applies here. For every rich man there is a poor.

You've tried going with numbers twice so long and failed at each. Maybe change your pattern a little bit?
  7. YouWannaGetHigh

Carbines don't easily beat LMGs. How can you give such an outright answer to that? Carbines are useless past above-medium range. LMGs would destroy someone with a carbine after that point.

Also Orion and T9 Carv have better DPS and range than most carbines out there, just saying. T5-AMC, Jaguar (same DPS but they have more range), Bandit, Razor GD-23, Trac 5S, VX6-7 and so on...

For Assault Rifles though, I can't argue. But they're medic only anyways.
  8. Ziggurat8

Guess I'll just drop the learn to play on you then. I have no trouble with any particular class as any particular class. If you think HA's are OP it's on you. Cause they're not. Suck it up butter cup and L2P.

Just in case you think I'm a HA fan boy.
    http://ps4us.ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=ziggurat8&show=statistics
    I play every class pretty evenly except engineer, because driving as a non engineer is silly.
  9. YouWannaGetHigh

You don't need to go there and be the "L2P" guy in a problematic case.
    Some professional players find shotguns OP and I have no trouble against them, does that give me the right to tell them "L2P?"
  10. Ziggurat8

Sure. It helps if you have something substantial to back up your claim though. KPH and KPU is a pretty good start. If something is broken it should have some kind of discernable metric for why and how it's broken.

Being a preferred class could be an indication but I really don't agree.. You want every class to be on even footing with the HA during infantry battles? That was the whole point of my post. The HA is a 1 trick pony. Maybe 2 if you count the RL, but in reality the RL is only good against MAX's or in large groups. A group of HA spamming AV would probably be better served in just about any other AV or AA role the game has to offer imo. The RL isn't very strong and is more of AV/AA deterrence than effective at killing AV and AA. So the HA has it's LMG and over shield. Every other class has other options in addition to their gun play (which really isn't as unbalanced as you've made it out to be; the LA is the only class without a good mid-long range alternative) that if they could fill the same role as HA while retaining their other abilities it would completely invalidate the HA as a class.

Someone mentioned inventory, similar to PS1. I remember the crazy disparity amongst people's inventory. So many players couldn't or wouldn't optimize their inventory so just ran around with ridiculous amounts of ammo. Then their was the Reinforced Exo suit REXO that was about the equivalent of PS2s Heavy. Rexos running around with med and repair and hacking tools plus RL's and heavy weapons. The only thing they couldn't do in a rexo was drive. It didn't make the game better imo. It made "1 build is best" for min/max so much more obvious. I like the class system better. With the ps2 class system you have the foot soldier. Which is what the heavy is. More people in this game obviously want to be the foot soldier but why exactly is it better?

Also 1 last thing. With 74% of the player base not being HA a disparity in the performance of the HA should show up. Again back to KDR. You're right about it balancing to 1 (except medic revive removes the "death" from the equation so it should be skewed somewhat >1 but for our argument it is irrelevant) if 1 out of 4 players has a distinct advantage as their class then the scales should tip in their favor. HA's should have a >1 on their side while the other 3 players not playing HA should be <1. Is that actually happening? Or do HA's kill and die as much as every other class?
  11. LaughingDead

GD7F, serpent, lynx, all CQ variants, they all can out dps a heavy, GR-22, TRV, whatever the VS has (can't remember off the top of my head), boiling it down to a numbers game you can outdps a heavy in optimal conditions, other long range variants do not have the same dps and perform better at range to compensate.

Heavy is a combat class, limiting your opponent's options on how to deal with you is a huge part of any engagement, if everyone had a higher dps gun at all ranges over the heavy then what would the point be?
  12. kr47er

HA ragenerf post? no thanks
    If HA gets nerfed then the ragenerf posts will go to the infil. and no.
    stop this nerfwheel
    • Up x 1
  13. YouWannaGetHigh

I'm not saying carbines or assault rifles shouldn't be powerful. I replied because you claimed those 2 types can easily beat an LMG.

Don't talk like we're argueing my statement here. I replied to your claim. Anyhow, we're on the same paper here as I understand from this post. You just agreed that carbines and ARs beat LMGs occasionally, which I also approve.
  14. YouWannaGetHigh

Depends on the amount of 'average-good' players playing HA. HA can kill and die as often because of the high number of new players playing HA for the shield benefit, yet still failing and dying too often.
    Anyhow, I suddenly lost all interest in actually argueing on forums. They never reach an end. I tried doing the same with shotguns before (tried to say they're not as OP as they're claimed to be) but numbers didn't help to reach an end because this is a forum and everybody has the time to come up with a sensible post that will generate a counter-arguement to the previous one. Have a nice day, hope I see you in game! :D
  15. BoomerMk2

Have you tried not being bad?
  16. RykerStruvian

Heavies are fine. I don't play a heavy (anymore). They're the bread and butter soldier, meant to be meat of forces. The other classes are support roles (support is called support for a reason). If you want to say any particular class/role is overpowered / too good at what they do, that would be engineers. They are just as lethal as any heavy (just because heavies have a shield doesn't make it an instant win), they can use anti-infantry and anti-vehicle mines, they can repair vehicles/structures/maxes, have deployable turrets / automated turrets, have access to sticky grenades (which have always been awesome), and they can give ammunition in an infinite capacity.

A heavy has two shields, a machine gun, a rocket launcher, and a conc grenade. Big deal. Keep heavies playing heavies, otherwise you'll wish they were still playing heavies once they realize how awesome medics/engineers are.
  17. FateJH

Originally, the developers had intended the Light Assault to fill that category.
  18. RykerStruvian

That probably would have been more entertaining. I didn't actually realize that even though I've been playing PS2 since the first wave invites. I've always liked the Light Assault class and was my first actual "main" class for while, but after three or four months after release, I switched over to Heavy Assault just because LA felt way too squishy/situational.