Infiltrator nerf, what now?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by borgqueenx, Oct 24, 2016.

1. borgqueenx

How do you feel for using the motion spotter vs the dart gun now that the motion spotter real-time updates will only be 20 meters from the device and ONLY for infiltrators and not for other classes?

Also will you keep using EMP grenades now that the cost has gone from 25 nanites to 75?

I'm personally not so sure i'l keep using EMP's now... And i will probaly switch to the dart gun, since the dart gun recons places further away and usually doesnt get destroyed....20 meters max range for real-time detection for the motion spotter is too big of a nerf IMO. Also sad that your allies cant see in real-time if they are not infiltrator.
  2. Jake the Dog

Lol, the sky is falling! I can't rely on my magic spotting tool anymore... (actually you can but you just got to put it in a more tactical location instead of behind 6 maxs on the point)
    • Up x 5
  3. cobaltlightning

Jake's kinda right, actually: If you put it in the right spot, you can still get loads of useful information for you and your allies.
    The main draw to the Motion Spotter over the Recon Dart is that the Spotter lasts longer and has a larger field. Real Time or not, being able to see where your enemies are going is a pretty big deal: You can thwart that big flank, be it MAX Crash or not, by simply knowing that they're coming from that direction.

IIRC, EMPs still drain class abilities, do they not?
    Upping the price to 75 brings it in line with the other tactical grenades, and so you can't spam out ~20 of them in relative quick succession.
    If an Infiltrator takes the time to Ambush a Heavy Assault and uses an EMP to down his shield and ability, then I think the infiltrator should get the kill. Not to mention an EMP is an amazing breaching tool anyway.
  4. borgqueenx

with the bandolier it takes alot of nanites to get a restock now. I cant play this anymore unless i pay for a membership.
    I still go for 1 emp instead of a frag grenade, but its sad i only have 1 opportunity and then need to get out.

And i really dont see much use for the motion spotter anymore unless in a group.
    Enemy's getting close to your spotter will destroy it, and you have way less time to kill them first.
    Darts are indestructable (practically, not theoratically). They last less longer but enough to just cap a base on your own. And they do EXACTLY the same as a motion spotter now exept last shorter and have no real time feed for infiltrator-only now. motion spotters are not even useful for allies anymore, unless on teamspeak etc.
    The darts can be shot and get intel from far away as well.
    The dart gun now wins, hands down IMO.
  5. cobaltlightning

Welcome to Balance, kiddo.

EMPs were 25 nanites per use before. I will admit I was wrong in saying 'it's not in line with other tactical grenades' but I still believe the higher price is justified for such a powerful tool: It drains shields and class abilities in a relatively large radius. I enjoy infiltrator, and even I thought that was a bit too powerful: A common tactic of mine was to EMP a group, cloak, rush in, and try and drop an AI Mine in the middle of them. On the times it did work, I easily scored 5 to 8 kills.

For the recon tools, again, its the use of the tools. Darts are for moving a lot, Spotters are for staying in one area. One for Offense, one for Defense.
  6. Naaahhhhh

Like heavy assault :rolleyes:
    You guys like balance? Time to reduce the movement speed of the Tank/dmg dealer class that has high accuracy guns, cqc guns, that can destroy tanks, air and maxes, heal himself and has 150 % health due to his shield.

I think 80 % movement speed should be ok.
    • Up x 3
  7. Rhello

While I think EMPs' price should've gone to 50 nanites instead of 75 nanites, apart from that, it is not a nerf to infiltrator, quite the opposite. Motion spotters single handedly killed flanking until this patch, and I'm so grateful to Wrel/whoever made this change. My only complain is that the motion spotters seem to be bugged and don't works past 20 meters. If you can't score kills without an overpowered crutch tool that can only be avoided by crouching or by having an implant, then your skills are the first thing to be questioned.

Oh and before you accuse me of anything, there's no bias at all, because I main infiltrator.
  8. FieldMarshall

I kinda like it, even though motion spotter is one of my favourite tools in the game.

Motion Spotters was a massive advantage. An advantage that most new players didnt seem to understand or take advantage of.
    Experienced players who knew the value of it basically had "wallhacks".
    Since positioning and being in the right spot at the right time is so huge in PS2, the Spotter was insane.

The Motion Spotter change should (slightly) lower the gap between inexperienced/experienced players and make it a little more fun for newer players, which im ok with.
    • Up x 1
  9. Demigan

Heavy is a good newb class to be sure, but the Infiltrator is far more deadly and easy to handle if you got some skill, especially with the incredibly powerful spotting devices (yes even Recon darts are good) and EMP's.

Heavy doesn't need a rebalance, in fact the old 750 shield was just fine (if you look at my account you'll notice I hardly ever use HA btw so don't go making me out for a noob who just uses Heavy). The only thing that needs changing is the goals and objectives that can be pursued. The Heavy is omniversally useful in almost every single scenario you put him in, and if he's not the best he's usually second-best as the class to have in that scenario. That's the problem we have in the current game, rather than the Heavy being "too powerful". If we get new goals and objectives that other classes are better at, as well as player-made objectives that specific classes are better at destroying, the game will prosper and the entire "but Heavy is OP!" craze will finally go away.
  10. Zuprize

If they'd change the resupply rate for spotters after this update that would be nice. I don't know why not 30 meters for you and less for the others but that does not bother me to much.
    As far as EMP's go I rarely use them so the cost is not important for me, I usually used them to take out other spotters but since the nerf now I probably would change to frags, depends how people adapt to the change thou.
  11. Eranorz

Except they were already the weakest class in an actual fight for point control.

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?
  12. Demigan

Not for anyone with balls and brains. Stealth is a far better protection than 100 extra health and the emp's are powerhouses in their own right.

Dont you ever get tired spouting cheap bullcrap?

Edit: a good infil can also go toe-to-toe with heavies. Agressive stealth is a thing and powerful at that
    • Up x 1
  13. Eranorz

Except that stealth is awful in this game. It's pretty much one of the worst implementations of it that I've seen in any game, you're easy to see, easy to kill (squishy). Refer to my stats if you wanna see my experience with infiltrator, although lately I haven't been playing it very much.

When these changes go live there will be even less incentive to play infil unless you want to snipe for fun.

Can't tell if trolling or seriously that uninformed about a game you've been playing for ages.
  14. MajiinBuu

I like the Motion Spotter change. There was almost never a reason to use darts, now they're more of a proper sidegrade.
  15. PanzerGoddess

??this statement is most confusing....

....epeen power incoming.....look at my stats to see my experience as an infiltrator, this new patch, been playing it....yup not much changed, still killing people just fine lol
  16. PanzerGoddess

best part is I dont have to go stealth to go toe to toe....i just dooooooo it!
    • Up x 1
  17. Silkensmooth

I always used darts. I like being able to fire a dart ahead of me when im going into an area.

Heavy assualt needs some kind of change. A delay on the shield almost made it in. That makes sense to me. Insta "I Win" shiled is just dumb. 1 class with 500 more hit points than everyone else, coupled with rocket launchers that ohk, and lmgs with 200 bullets.
  18. badname123

Motion detector were game breaking. They made infantry battles unfun. destroyed any chance of flanking for none infil stealth tactic using players. it gives 1 player the power to turn a pure inf battle into an interlink farm. Vehicle radar while much more powerful was something you can destroy and it could not be instantly replaced at no cost if destroyed. motion detectors can be placed over and over with no cost and their only counter, emp grenades cost nanites.

Nothing in this game frustrates me more than those evil little portable interlinks. I kill them, they deploy another at no cost. Now me and my team mates get farmed instead of having a fair fight in an online pvp game. Not fun. YES I KNOW WE CAN DEPLOY THEM TO!

They should be removed or redesigned into trip wires that blink on radar for allies when some one passes by them, Doesn't not spot through walls, invisible on mini unless spotted and allowed to have more than one at a time. simple solution. Spitfires already function in a similar fashion.

You try to flank and when you turn that corner there is some one looking right at you waiting to blow your head off. That is motion spotters/detector gameplay. not fun. Normally i use my ears when i need "radar". this works in old and new games. However in a large battle there is so much noise i cant hear ****. Thats old school **** though most casual kids dont know bout my tactics
  19. Diggsano

To every noob:

EMP was nerfed so it only drains the shield or the cloak ability of an infiltrator...

Now it is nerfed again and whoever says it is a "powerful tool" is just nuts...

I am thinking about to go with frag grenades...

Also the Recon Darts are Restockable via ammo pack...i think i'll go with them until infiltrators get nerfef again >_>
  20. The Shady Engineer

It still drains heavy shields, medic regen ability and jetpack fuel. What are you talking about?

Literally the only nerf to EMP in this patch is the cost increase. You can still press G to win, you just can't do it as often.
    • Up x 1