Anyone actually like the Ursa?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Beerbeerbeer, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Beerbeerbeer

I'll preface this by saying I have EVERY LMG unlocked across all factions and I am trying to get directive LMGs for all factions, simultaneously. I'm doing all of the weapons below in 100 kill increments.

Here are the ones I'm working on:

VS:
    Orion
    SVA
    Flare
    Pulsar
    Ursa

NC:
    Saw
    Saw S
    Anchor
    EM1
    EM6
    (Yeah I purposely didn't do the GD, I like it but I wanted to give the EM's a spin and I actually like them both although the Saw S and EM6 are almost identical so meh)

TR:
    Carv
    Bull
    Rhino
    TMG
    MSW-R

I like them all EXCEPT FOR THE URSA. I hate it! It's a piece of crap IMO. It's most similar to the TMG and EM6, but worse. The rate of fire on this thing is freaking atrocious, Saw like without the damage.

Why is the ROF so damn slow on it?

I really regret going down this path but I'm committed at this point. I should have done the Polaris.
  2. Benton582

It's for mid-long range, given its higher bullet velocity with high damage, but meager RPM and bad recoil. Made for control, not hipfire.
  3. Ziggurat8

It's terrible. The flare is better in every single way. They need to just reduce its rof to 500 and give it 200 damage. Make it somewhat usable already. Im sure some special snowflake will tell you they love using a 4x zoom and pretending they are snipers and the ursa isn't that bad...It is. The flare is hands down the better weapon for mid range for long range and absolutely for cqc.
    • Up x 1
  4. LegendarySalmonSnake

Even though I have HA aurax I have only auraxed Ursa and Polaris since I though the grind was too much of a bother and switched to eidolon and the revenant. Haven't used any other lmg too much. From these 2 Ursa was by far my favorite to use.
  5. Ryme_Intrinseca

I have a similar problem with the Cougar. The difference between 550 and 577 RPM doesn't sound like much but it feels absolutely massive.

I don't think it requires an adjustment as such, it's just how 550 RPM, 167 damage weapons are. Every faction has one so it's pretty 'fair' in that respect, and some people like them.

My personal picks for LMG Auraxs would be:

TR
    1. MSW-R
    2. Carv
    3. Carv S
    4. Bull
    5. TMG-50 or NS-11

NC
    1. Anchor
    2. EM6
    3. GD-22S
    4. Gauss SAW
    5. Saw S or NS-11

VS
    1. Orion
    2. Pulsar LSW
    3. SVA-88
    4. Polaris
    5. Flare or NS-11
    • Up x 1
  6. Beerbeerbeer

Yep, it doesn't sound like much on paper but it's terrible. The differences are really noticeable. Too noticeable.

Actually I don't remember seeing a 550/167 LMG on the TR or NC. Just horrible.
    • Up x 1
  7. Cymric

I am working on getting the directive LMG for all factions too and is about 40% done on each. What I noticed is that the cqc high dps LMGs seems to give me a slight boost in stats, probably because most of the fighting take place at close ranges where superior accuracy does not give an advantage. Other than that, I have 160 kills with the Ursa so far and did not notice a significant difference in stats when using it compare to other LMG.

Check out your weapon stats at http://ps2.fisu.pw/ or http://stats.dasanfall.com. The Ursa's poor performance might be an illusion.
  8. Erendil

I think the issue with the Ursa might be Flinch.

I have ~3,700 Ursa kills, and looking back I seemed to take more damage from opponents when using the Ursa than when wielding other weapons. It's the only weapon I've really noticed this with too.

It think it's because its Damage/ROF profile is low enough that you can't flinch your opponent frequently enough to make them miss even if you land most of your shots. Whereas your opponent likely has a higher Damage/ROF profile weapon than you so he can flinch you more.
  9. MajiinBuu

I've never tried it, but I guess I'm glad I chose the Flare. You'd think the 1000 cert gun would be somewhat better in a way?
  10. Ryme_Intrinseca

They don't have an lmg with those stats but tr and nc each have a carbine with them, so I believe each faction has exactly one 550 rpm/167 damage weapon.

VS also have a 167 damage AR with even lower Rof, and TR's only 167 AR is burst only, so in practice lower RoF still.
  11. Ziggurat8

I suppose if TR and NC both have absolutely terrible throw away weapons that are nothing more than cert sinks its fine we have the ursa. Let's give every faction ES water pistols while we are at it.

I just wish that there was a star rating on weapons in this game so you kind of knew what you were getting into. Hmm the Ursa sounds decent, high damage high velocity the description says it's good for long range engagements. Oh wait, Uh oh it only has 1/5 stars. Hmm maybe I will go with the 3/5 stars flare. Whew almost made a decision I would regret forever. Thank you star rating!
  12. AllRoundGoodGuy

everyone votes up the walker as a 5/5
  13. Ryme_Intrinseca

All a star rating would achieve is even more zerging to the lowest common denominator anchors/mswrs/orions/gd7fs/lynxs/serpents. The battlefield would be less diverse and more boring, and people would miss out on discovering underused gems that match their playstyle.
  14. Crayv

I remember in the early days of this game where flinch was the same regardless of damage and how it made NC at a disadvantage (low RoF = low flinch). They changed it so damage was also a factor and it seemed help quite a bit, so you are probably onto something there.